snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 11 April 2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Speaking of bathrooms, why is it that you can control your need to use one until you get through your front door and then suddenly what was a need becomes an urgency and you're racing for the bathroom as if you're being pursued by the hounds from hell?
And then half the time the production isn't enough to have justified the urgency --

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
What I really miss are BBQ flavored Wampum chips from Granny Goose -- similar to Fritos, but a slightly different texture. Those were awesome, though I suspect they'd need to rename the product if they wanted to re-introduce it...
Vaguely relatedly: I wish Bigelow would rename Plantation Mint tea. I like the tea; but, while I expect they think the name reminds customers of sitting on the porch sipping juleps, I'm afraid what I think of is slaves in the fields harvesting the mint.

I harvest mint myself sometimes, and like doing it; it's not the harvest part but the connotations I've got with the word 'plantation' that bother me.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:11 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
ETA re: Trading Spaces, I watched one of the new episodes. Hildi covered the walls -- and maybe the ceiling -- of a room with cardboard. She has a problem.
Maybe she was trying to create a room-sized faraday cage. If she was, it's the most practical design she ever took on.

For those not in the know, Hildi is the insane nutbar on Trading Spaces. If you ever see any gallery depicting the worst makeovers on that show, chances are it will contain several of Hildi's stuff. She's the one infamous for gluing hay to the walls. When it was pointed out that the couple, whose living room she was remodeling, have young kids, she was like "Just tell the kids to not eat the hay," which we all know is a foolproof strategy that solves everything with kids.
Old 12 April 2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
ETA re: Trading Spaces, I watched one of the new episodes. Hildi covered the walls -- and maybe the ceiling -- of a room with cardboard. She has a problem.
That's an episode from the original run. I was surprised that I hadn't seen it. Or maybe I had and blocked it out.

The funniest part was Ty putting up wainscoating with Liquid Nails and saying it was impossible to get off without destroying the drywall and cut to Hildi using the same adhesive to put up her cardboard. I guess that family had major repairs (cause I'm pretty sure the cardboard didn't stay up).

In the new 2018 episode, she put mirrors on one wall and the other walls were all patterned with paint (kaleidoscope pattern of blue, peach, yellow, black, and white). It was a bit much, but definitely more easily repaired than previous designs. Remember the kitchen walls covered with wine labels in the home of a non-drinking Baptist preacher?
Old 12 April 2018, 03:27 PM

TV

I really enjoyed the Previously TV forums - where else can you get likeminded people willing to endlessly discuss the minutae of TV shows I like? But I just can't go there anymore. The mods try so hard to keep each thread on track that they're ruining any real discussions that evolve - and that can be very entertaining. It's like being told you must talk about apples and god help you if you mention oranges, someone will come in and rap knuckles and tell you to stay on topic. But it gets boring to endlessly talk about apples . Oh well off to find another time waster on the Internet. I doubt it will be too hard to do.
Old 12 April 2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I really enjoyed the Previously TV forums - where else can you get likeminded people willing to endlessly discuss the minutae of TV shows I like? But I just can't go there anymore. The mods try so hard to keep each thread on track that they're ruining any real discussions that evolve - and that can be very entertaining. It's like being told you must talk about apples and god help you if you mention oranges, someone will come in and rap knuckles and tell you to stay on topic. But it gets boring to endlessly talk about apples . Oh well off to find another time waster on the Internet. I doubt it will be too hard to do.
Not really surprising to me. It's the same creators as Television Without Pity and those were some of the strictest forums (mostly for good, some for not) I've ever been on.
Old 13 April 2018, 02:02 PM

Glasses

I have to run Spirion over the weekend (it's a program that searches for PII on my computer), so first I have to repair any psts I might have. Which means I am without email until I finish.

Seaboe
Old 14 April 2018, 03:50 AM

My bank's ATM has started giving out hundreds instead of twenties. There is a menu you can click through to change it, but it doesn't remember your preferences from session to session, so you have to do it every time, and it's a lot of buttons. I'm sure it costs them $0.0001 less to process fewer bills per transaction, so they don't want you to make opting out a practical choice.

Stores don't seem to be on the same page. It's been happening for a while and I can't be the only one with that bank, but vendors still treat you like a leper if you try to break a hundred. Many will outright refuse. It's like if the ATM started spitting out pennies. It's technically cash, but much less practical to spend.
Old 15 April 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
But as it turns out the plug to drain the transmission oil requires a 24mm socket, which is bigger than the biggest socket in my set.
Aaaaand none of the stores I've checked sell sockets individually; you have to buy an entire set. I know I definitely bought one individually at Lowes many years ago the last time I need a particularly large socket. I feel like Hank Hill trying to buy something at the Mega-Lo-Mart. See, this is why people are buying more things online.
Old 15 April 2018, 10:59 PM

Last time I checked, you could buy individual sockets at Home Depot.
Old 15 April 2018, 11:04 PM

I've already ordered one from Amazon anyway, which is fine; I can wait until next weekend. I usually go to Lowes because it's closer to my house, and it's in the same shopping center as Trader Joe's which I was going to anyway.
Old 15 April 2018, 11:06 PM

I could tell you a dozen places around here that would sell you individual sockets. But you're not around here, so that's probably only annoying.
Old 16 April 2018, 01:33 PM

Wildabeast, looking for a reason to road trip to New York?
Old 16 April 2018, 01:45 PM

My wild guess is, any farming area, and possibly any rural area. I might be wrong, though.
Old 16 April 2018, 05:21 PM

My local Lowe's has them, as does Home Depot, and Sears (if there are still some around). Sometimes Autozone and other auto parts stores will have them.

OY
Old 16 April 2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
My wild guess is, any farming area, and possibly any rural area. I might be wrong, though.
That wouldn't be too far from here, really. I suspect OSH (aka Orchard Supply Hardware), a regional chain, would have had them if their store hadn't closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
My local Lowe's has them, as does Home Depot, and Sears (if there are still some around). Sometimes Autozone and other auto parts stores will have them.

OY
Actually my local Lowe's did have a few, but not the size I needed. They mostly just had sets. Actually I suspect the fact that I knew I'd be able to find one online made me not try as hard to find one locally as I might have otherwise. I checked the places that were most convenient, but didn't go out of my way to check places that were a bit farther away like Home Depot and Ace. I actually thought of Autozone after I'd already ordered one from Amazon.
Old 16 April 2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Actually my local Lowe's did have a few, but not the size I needed. They mostly just had sets. Actually I suspect the fact that I knew I'd be able to find one online made me not try as hard to find one locally as I might have otherwise. I checked the places that were most convenient, but didn't go out of my way to check places that were a bit farther away like Home Depot and Ace. I actually thought of Autozone after I'd already ordered one from Amazon.
Yeah 24mm is fairly large. May want to look into 1/2-inch drive with an adapter or a 1/2" ratchet.

I dropped by Lowe's + HD to find the missing sockets for my socket drawer (I have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives, shorts and longs)

OY
Old 17 April 2018, 05:38 PM

Shifty Eyes

The building owner is coming by my work space for walk through/inspection tomorrow, so all of us have to hide our space heaters, the toasters, my lava lamps, etc.
Do you have any idea what a pain in the behind it is to root around under your desk for the right cord????
Old 17 April 2018, 06:22 PM

Be like Gutter Monkey's flatmate and just unplug everything.
Old 17 April 2018, 06:48 PM

Glasses

Similar to DawnStorm's issue, our building is having a reduce energy contest, and they want us to turn off our monitors and docking stations before we leave. The power strip for these is beneath my desk, against the wall of the cubical. I have no intention of crawling under my desk twice a day for the measly amount of electricity my monitors use. Yes, I know it adds up. You (IT) should have thought of that when you decided to make it difficult to turn them on and off!

Seaboe
Old 18 April 2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I need to buy new bedsheets, but I'm so particular about the way fabric feels, that I'm having a hard time finding ones I can tolerate. In college I had a set of cotton "t-shirt" sheets, the original ones marketed in the late 90's, which were the most comfortable sheets I've ever owned. However, they eventually wore out after many years and needed replacing. But since then I've never been able to find t-shirt sheets of the same quality -- they're all poorly sized, easily pilled, haphazardly sewn, cheaply made crap.

I'm very much Goldilocks when it comes to bedsheets: most are too stiff, too hot, too slippery, too scratchy, etc., but that original set of t-shirt sheets was just right, and I'm afraid I'll never find ones that feel the same again.
You could buy high threadcount regular sheets, all cotton, and wash them 5-6 times to soften them up before you use them. That might do the trick.