snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 01 January 2016, 06:40 PM

Airplane Skywriters have message for Trump at Rose Parade

Skywriters stole the show at the 127th Rose Parade in California on Friday, dashing out a message for Donald Trump just as the last float left the gate.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/01/politi...ade/index.html
Old 01 January 2016, 09:19 PM

Yeah, it's not that I don't agree, I'd just like to enjoy my holiday celebrations without having to think about politics, for once. It's a parade, do we have to talk about Trump?
Old 01 January 2016, 09:51 PM

In my experience, parades are about politics and advertisement. I haven't been to any of the national televised ones though. I thought it was pretty brilliant myself. They turned his own questionable rhetoric back on him. He's a pig.
Old 01 January 2016, 10:06 PM

I watched the parade coverage on KTLA and didn't see that mentioned. Does anyone know if the commentators talked about it and I missed it or did they ignore it?
Old 03 January 2016, 06:50 AM

Icon605

From the OP
Quote:
The man who says he was behind the skywriting is Stan Pate, 57, from Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

{ snip }

Pate said he could see himself voting for Hillary Clinton but hasn't decided yet. He's more determined to stop Trump right now.
From "Meet the man behind the 'Trump is disgusting' skywriting" CBS News 1 January 2016:

Quote:
A millionaire real estate developer -- who also happens to be a donor to Florida Sen. Marco Rubio's presidential campaign - is behind the aerial messages at the Rose Bowl calling GOP front-runner Donald Trump "disgusting" and he says that there's more to come. Much more.

"There's no place for him," said Stan Pate, from Alabama. "He needs to go back to one of his tall towers and build buildings and whatever else he does. He's a despicable man."

{ snip }

For 2016, Pate was an early donor to Rubio's campaign. According to FEC filings, Pate gave $5,200 to his presidential campaign committee in early 2015, but he says he's officially undecided. He's also donated to many other Republicans in the past. In 2004, Pate cut a $25,000 check to the Republican National Committee. Pate also contributed tens of thousands to joint fundraising committees supporting various Republican state parties in 2004 and again in 2008, also supporting Sen. John McCain's presidential run.

Pate has also donated to Democrats. In 2007, Pate donated $2,300 to the presidential campaigns of former senators John Edwards, of South Carolina, and Chris Dodd, of Connecticut.
And from "Rubio donor takes credit for anti-Trump skywriting" The Hill 2 January 2016:
Quote:
Once touted as "an edgy force in Alabama politics" by the Huntsville Times, Pate gave $5,200 to Rubio's presidential campaign committee in early 2015, but said he is still undecided in the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Does anyone know if the commentators talked about it and I missed it or did they ignore it?
I assume that they just ignored it. I went to the Rose Parade in 1980 and there are a whole lot of thing going on that they don't cover, usually because they just aren't interesting.

Brian
Old 03 January 2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue
Does anyone know if the commentators talked about it and I missed it or did they ignore it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post

I assume that they just ignored it. I went to the Rose Parade in 1980 and there are a whole lot of thing going on that they don't cover, usually because they just aren't interesting.

Brian
Or have nothing to do with the parade, as in this case.

~Psihala
Old 03 January 2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I watched the parade coverage on KTLA and didn't see that mentioned. Does anyone know if the commentators talked about it and I missed it or did they ignore it?
The way the commentators yammer on these days, you're lucky if you get to see what's in the parade, let alone what's above it.
Old 03 January 2016, 05:19 PM

Actually that's what I love about watching the Rose Bowl parade, the commentators talk but at least they talk while they're showing the parade. Unlike Macey's Thanksgiving Parade. I think I've given up on them, I gave it one last chance this year mainly because I do like the chance to see the Broadway songs, but when I watch a parade I expect to see a parade!
Old 05 January 2016, 01:00 PM

They do show the parade after the Broadway numbers, you know.
Old 05 January 2016, 03:42 PM

Any broadcast I've seen shows some of the parade, then the broadway number, then a bunch of commercials, then commentators talking to each other, then a bit of the parade, then the commentators interviewing someone, then a bunch of commercials - lather, rinse, repeat. If you know of a channel that actually shows the entire parade please share as I'd love to actually see it sometime without having to go to New York to do it!

Last edited by Sue; 05 January 2016 at 03:50 PM.