snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 24 August 2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
If someone enjoys having those things, what other point does there need to be?
I think it’s a fair question. Clearly aesthetics involves more than just what people like or art criticism wouldn’t exist. I can critique an aesthetic, art, or content without implying any criticism of the people who like it. (On the other hand, “well, I happen to like it” is not much of a rebuttal.)

That I don’t get nostalgia is more of a personal thing but, nevertheless, I do think there are critical issues with the aesthetic of nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake. I neglected another category in my comment, the one I think snopes is talking about: People often enjoy things of the past because of their qualities. Pong, for example, is a simple game and that simplicity can be appreciated. If you give Pong to a young kid these days and they enjoy it it’s probably not because of nostalgia; it’s because it’s a good game. (I like lots and lots of things from the past but I hope it’s because they are still good, not because I’m trying to conjure up a lost world.) I feel nostalgia is cheaper - and therefore more likely to be void of any value - than ever. I don’t like it because I think it deemphasizes the things that made those things great, emphasizing instead the shared-memory aspect that, to me, is far less stimulating and, these days, so ubiquitous and easy to access that it’s almost pointless to mention at all.

The OP is a good example of that empty content. What about the digital watch makes it great - makes it well worth taking more than just another look at? There are so many things other than the nostalgic value, some things that we cannot experience with current products. All those other products have things about them that one could go on and on about, points that would take an interested reader a long time to find on their own, if we can find them at all. Instead, we get another fluff piece that you or I could write in an hour and a half of googling, a kind of clickbait.
Old 24 August 2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I think it’s a fair question. Clearly aesthetics involves more than just what people like or art criticism wouldn’t exist. I can critique an aesthetic, art, or content without implying any criticism of the people who like it.
Yes, but if that was your intent, you could have worded it better, IMO.

Quote:
(On the other hand, “well, I happen to like it” is not much of a rebuttal.)
I wasn't attempting to present a rebuttal. My point is that "I like this and would enjoy having it" is s a perfectly valid reason for a person to spend his/her own money to buy the item in question. Not everything is about aesthetics or criticism. Not everyone cares about aesthetics or criticism.
Old 24 August 2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
I sort of wish we had an old Nintendo with the original Mario game on it. I seldom played it, but the music is sort of the sound track of my kids' growing up. It was a happy time for me, and that old game reminds me of it.
There's a Wii game with the original 3 Nintendo Mario games on it. Graphics are improved but music/levels seem pretty much unchanged to me. That's one of my favorite games cos I get to be 7 again
Old 24 August 2014, 01:57 PM

For reference, you are probably referring to Super Mario All Stars which originally was a SNES game, then was re-released, and then re-released again on the Wii as a limited edition. It actually has four games (that may not be the case on the Wii however) and it is hands down one of my favorite games.

ETA:

Quote:
I sort of wish we had an old Nintendo with the original Mario game on it. I seldom played it, but the music is sort of the sound track of my kids' growing up. It was a happy time for me, and that old game reminds me of it.
If you have a Wii or Wii U (possibly even the 3ds) I do believe that they have all the older Mario games in the NES glory available in the Virtual Console store which is just emulation. It doesn’t replicate the NES hardware, but you can still play them as they were on the NES. You may want to check because Nintendo is a bit weird about what games they offer and what platform they offer them on. Their online strategy is not the best and is IMO totally silly.

Last edited by diddy; 24 August 2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 24 August 2014, 03:13 PM

Computer

If its the Atari 2600 games the author is pining for and not so much the console, and they have access to an Xbox 360, there's always Game Room on Xbox Live.

There's no Pong, but there are quite a few other original Atari 2600™, 1980's era arcade, and Intellevision™ titles there such as Pitfall™, Adventure™, and River Raid™.

~Psihala(™)
Old 24 August 2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Instead, we get another fluff piece that you or I could write in an hour and a half of googling, a kind of clickbait.
I'm not defending the article, it's crap, IMO.

I think what I most object to is the idea that nostalgia is "living in the past." There are past times in my life that I enjoy thinking about and being reminded of. That doesn't mean I'm trying to live in the past. It means I have good memories. Some of those memories are about people whom I'm no longer in touch with, or who have died, but I still like thinking about them and the times we spent together. And sometimes what reminds me of those times and those people is an object from the past.

Look at some of the threads in this post, like quink's. People are remembering the times they spent using those items with people they loved. That's not "pointlessly living in the past." It's not "living in the past" at all, it's enjoying a happy memory.
Old 24 August 2014, 03:33 PM

Agreed Lainie. You really can't go home again. Even if I had an NES or one of the games/simulations other kind posters here suggested, it wouldn't make my kids little again with us living in a tiny house in the country. However, if I had such games it would be nice to watch them play it as adults and reminisce about their childhood. My oldest used to call the youngest, "King Video Belt" (yeah I don't know) which oldest is embarrassed about now. Little things like that.

I don't think anyone here thinks those games or other items are superior, but the items bring back fond memories, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 24 August 2014, 03:37 PM

And it's a mistake, IMO, to assume that the nostalgia is solely about the objects. When it's not, the aesthetic of the objects is irrelevant.
Old 24 August 2014, 04:12 PM

Exactly, it's the connection to times in the past that one likes to think about. It's not just objects either. It can be scents, sounds, the feel of a fabric, or the taste of certain foods.
Old 24 August 2014, 05:20 PM

Who we are now is made up of who we have been. Focusing entirely on one's past to the exclusion of the present and the future isn't good, true; but we're not made up of an isolate future or present self, either. Appreciating one's entire life, rather than chopped up bits of it, seems entirely healthy to me.
Old 24 August 2014, 06:33 PM

The obligatory xkcd

Be sure to read the alt text.
Old 24 August 2014, 07:15 PM

OK, I know I'm gonna' feel dumb, but where is the alt text?
Old 24 August 2014, 07:16 PM

Hold the cursor still over the picture for a second. It disappears if you move the cursor, so you'll have to move the cursor off the picture, then back on to make it reappear.
Old 24 August 2014, 10:04 PM

I posted recently about finding a bunch of papers and maps from my old car that I thought I'd forgotten to take out of the glove box when I sold it to a junkyard. Maps are a good example of technology that has been surpassed to an unimaginable degree by GPS navigators. My old Thomas Guide was so big I had to keep it under the passenger seat; it didn't fit in either the glove box or the center console of my little Corolla, and if I kept it in the trunk I'd have to get out of the car to consult it, which I didn't want to do if I was lost in a sketchy neighborhood. The free Google navigation service that comes with my phone is a thousand times better in every way, no question about it.

But on that map, and on the various other maps I kept from road trips, are markings of the places I used to go--the homes of friends I've lost touch with, CD stores where I purchased the soundtrack to my adolescence, the convention center where my junior prom was held, the fro-yo shop where I had my first date with the boyfriend I lost my virginity to. I can't visit these places anymore in real life--those friends don't live there anymore, those CD stores and fro-yo shops are long out of business, that convention center would be unrecognizable without our school's decorations and all the students. But it's kind of cool to look at the virtual landscape of my hometown from half my lifetime ago, and remember the little things I'd forgotten.
Old 24 August 2014, 10:15 PM

I loved my Thomas Guide!
Old 24 August 2014, 10:36 PM

I don't like when people buy computers that have Windows 7 to avoid Windows 8. You're intentionally hobbling your computer because you don't want to learn a new OS.

Yes, most everything will work on Windows 7 just fine, for now, but you're still using old technology. And with Windows 9 on the horizon, you're going to be running an OS that's not only 2 years out of date, it's 2 versions out of date. And pretty soon, your software just isn't going to run anymore. And all because you'd rather have a hissy fit rather than accept that the world is changing.
Old 24 August 2014, 10:40 PM

I like paper maps. GPS and on-line maps are indeed better for many things; but paper maps are better for seeing simultaneously the larger area and relatively fine detail, because they can be spread out to cover a much larger area than even a very large screen.

If you don't care about being generally oriented, but only want to get to a specific spot without wondering how that relates to other places, that's not an advantage, of course. And I agree that spreading out a paper map in the car while driving is not practical. But I think it's not so much that paper maps are outdated, as that they now serve a different purpose than non-paper versions.

ETA: Amigone, I'm not using Windows anything; but if some people really find 8 worse than 7 for what they want to do with it, and want to keep using 7 as long as it holds up in the hope that maybe then they can switch to 9 or 10 and that one of those might better suit their purposes, and in the meantime they won't have to bother dealing with 8 at all, what's the harm?

For that matter, if some people only want to update every two or three system changes primarily so they can spend less time learning new systems, and in the meantime they can do what they want with the old one and security updates are available for it, why should everyone have to spend time learning every single new version? Just because it's the new one doesn't automatically mean it's a significant enough improvement for everybody that everybody should have to spend time on it.

Last edited by thorny locust; 24 August 2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 24 August 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
I don't like when people buy computers that have Windows 7 to avoid Windows 8. You're intentionally hobbling your computer because you don't want to learn a new OS.
I don't understand this. It's their computer. You don't have to use it.
Old 25 August 2014, 02:50 AM

Is 8 really better than 7? I can't tell. It seems slightly worse. I find that OS 'upgrades' usually don't improve anything and invariably break things, therefore making it almost never worth going through the trouble of either upgrading or learning the new OS. I don't see the point in continually upgrading OSs because what an OS does shouldn't really change all that much. The OS companies are just trying to squeeze more money out of us, as far as I'm concerned. I would rather pay a small fee yearly to the company that maintained a desktop OS that didn't change fundamentally and another to the company that maintained a phone and tablet OS. Unfortunately, the companies that make the other software are also on this treadmill. In any case, I try to skip new versions of OSs whenever possible. Whatever I need to learn I can usually learn just as easily when I finally upgrade rather than going through that silly rigamarole every two years.

I totally get that people still use Emacs and even WordStar and paper maps because they still work well. (Well, OK, somebody might be using WordStar. ) That's very different from nostalgia.
Old 25 August 2014, 03:40 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
I'm sure I have both, I can send you a recording if you like.