snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 04 September 2015, 09:17 AM

They have erected adjustable screens over the top floor windows to deflect the sunlight.

In addition 2013 was a hot and sunny summer. This year in the UK summer was 15th June.
Old 04 September 2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
And sometimes we refuse to even do that without a fight! Willis Tower was, for most of existence, named the Sears Tower.
We're not completely immune to such things - although one example I can think of also involves Willis... they seem to like having buildings named after them. Norman Foster's first building is in Ipswich - the Willis Building. When I moved there it was the Willis Corroon building, so I still automatically call it that. Apparently it started as the Willis, Faber and Dumas HQ building. Willis is the common factor, though - looks like they've owned it all along.

The old Post Office Tower, from which I took the photo above, is currently the BT Tower. And the old Nat West Tower, which is the building just in front and to the left of the Gherkin in that photo, is now Tower 42.

Both the Post Office Tower and the Nat West Tower had their turn as the tallest building in the UK.
Old 04 September 2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I thought we named our buildings after whoever is willing to pay the most for the naming rights.
Isn't that mostly sports arenas? I was thinking more of skyscrapers.
Old 05 September 2015, 09:30 PM

There's an interesting discussion here about whether the Walkie Talkie should be demolished - hypothetically, of course; it's not going to be demolished any time soon. But it seems pretty much everybody hates it. Even the guy defending it in the conversation - the director of the Design Museum in London - doesn't like it; he's just trying to guard against hyperbole...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...emolish-debate

I've seen the Palace of Culture in Warsaw and it is indeed even uglier, but in a much more striking way... the Walkie Talkie manages to be both boring and ugly, to me. (Although I still think the Cheesegrater is as bad if not worse). I thought Jonathan Jones had some interesting points, for once, about these things happening because nobody wants to sound like Prince Charles, even though the other guy skewered him by pointing out that Charles would have been against building it in the first place, and would have been right.