snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 29 January 2019, 03:07 PM

Icon13 State of the Union: who needs it?

The title is my own, but here is an article in the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-union/581458/

It comes from National Review. I subscribed to NR back in the 90s--read it from cover to cover. Have only read bits and pieces online since then. Back in the 90s, it was better than many of the other conservative magazines that existed then.
Old 29 January 2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
But ours is an era in which pretty much everyone participates in pretty much every political discussion, pretty much all day, pretty much everywhere.
I think this betrays over-generalization from his own experience. My understanding is that very people (relatively speaking) engage with politics on a day-to-day basis. So dismissing the SotU as unnecessary because everyone's already plugged into the minutia of politics seems unwarranted. Whether or not the SotU actually gets people to stop and pay attention is another question, of course.
Old 29 January 2019, 03:53 PM

Nitpick:

Quote:
But Jefferson also famously began the practice, uninterrupted for a century hence,
Shouldn't that be "uninterrupted for a century thence"?

And I think it's kind of silly to give the article a big headline blaming it all on the Democrats. It's not as if recent Republican presidents didn't give a State of the Union.

-- NobleHunter, I suspect that the people who aren't following politics the rest of the time don't follow the State of the Union, either. It's no longer as if, when it's on, nobody can get anything else to look at on whatever screen they feel like watching.
Old 29 January 2019, 03:59 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
And I think it's kind of silly to give the article a big headline blaming it all on the Democrats. It's not as if recent Republican presidents didn't give a State of the Union.

That headline is way too sensationalistic.

The SOTU has always reminded me of a kid sitting on Santa's knee and telling him what said kid wants for Christmas.
Old 29 January 2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
One of the few fringe benefits of this presidency has been the withering of certain institutions built on professional Washington’s enormous self-regard.
And one of the few fringe benefits of a quadruple amputation is that you'll never have to worry about cutting your fingernails or toenails.
Old 04 February 2019, 01:50 PM

Soapbox

Well DH and I are ready for the SOTU. DH has some Irish Whiskey and I have some hard cider. There are other places in the house where the critters can take refuge, so no worries about animal cruelty.

Dawn-LET'S GET READY TO RUUUMMMBBBLLLEEEE!-Storm
Old 04 February 2019, 02:03 PM

SOTU drinking game for teetotalers: Drink every time Trump suggests something that will 1) be good for the country as a whole, 2) is well thought-out, and 3) is agreed upon by the overall community responsible for doing such a thing.

SOTU drinking game for the rest: Drink.
Old 04 February 2019, 03:31 PM

Icon24

I was just about to post that the Mrs. and I were thinking of making a drinking game for the SOTU - nice to see some other intelligent folks beat me to it!

I say the following words mean drink:

Wall
Collusion
Witch hunt
Fake news
Huge
Any variation on largest, biggest, etc. that implies he set some sort of record

And it's a double shot if he does one of those coke-user sniffs.
Old 05 February 2019, 07:15 PM

I was just thinking about one of Clinton's SOTU where his impeachment was impending and nothing he was going to say would move Republicans to do anything other than sit on his hands.
That was close to the end of me watching the SOTU although I believe I might have watched the first two of Obama's just to hear complete sentences and thoughts.
Not tonight, I will listen to the BBC tomorrow morning. That ought to be interesting.

Ali
Old 05 February 2019, 09:02 PM

Colbert will let me know what is or isn't said.
Old 05 February 2019, 09:33 PM

Being on the West Coast, the SOTU ends up being during my evening commute, and I'm sure NPR is going to preempt All Things Considered to broadcast it. So I'm just annoyed that the SOTU is interrupting what I normally listen to during my commute.
Old 06 February 2019, 12:38 AM

Mouse

The fact that Nancy Pelosi is supposed to sit behind Trump through the entire speech, just feels so perfect. You know it’s just eating at Trump, seeing as he’s the pettiest human being alive.
Old 06 February 2019, 02:34 AM

I just got home. WTH, this thing is still going on?!

I'm going back to listening to the Revolutions podcast. Even second-hand reports of the SoTU are making me enraged. Viva Zapata!

*Add* OK, it's over. Still going back to the Mexican rev. At least I'll enjoy myself.
Old 06 February 2019, 01:56 PM

Tantrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Being on the West Coast, the SOTU ends up being during my evening commute, and I'm sure NPR is going to preempt All Things Considered to broadcast it. So I'm just annoyed that the SOTU is interrupting what I normally listen to during my commute.
Reminds me of the days when there were only three TV channels--and if the president was on, your nights were gone!
[Thank you for that Mr. Foxworthy.]

What TV shows did you miss when the president was on?
Me: Happy Days; Little House on the Prairie.
Old 06 February 2019, 06:47 PM

I love that quote, Dawn. Only it’s “your night was shot.”[/nitpick]

smitty”We’re gonna miss ‘Flipper’!”kins
Old 07 February 2019, 12:10 PM

And in my case, wasn't even my president. We got a lot of our TV via antenna from Buffalo. and even on the Canadian channels, if the originating network wasn't showing it, the show wouldn't be on the Cdn channel either.

You'd end up forced to watch whatever was on CBC.