snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 January 2019, 11:55 PM

Default Anonymous Trump Official wants shutdown to continue

https://crooksandliars.com/2019/01/a...ial-celebrates

Or “We need to not improve to own the libs”

From the actual op-ed:

Quote:
Federal employees are starting to feel the strain of the shutdown. I am one of them. But for the sake of our nation, I hope it lasts a very long time, till the government is changed and can never return to its previous form.

The lapse in appropriations is more than a battle over a wall. It is an opportunity to strip wasteful government agencies for good.
In plain English, I believe that reads as “We need to do a shit job to own the libs”.
Old 16 January 2019, 12:29 AM

Actually, that is a quote from the orange thing, isn't it?
Old 16 January 2019, 01:06 AM

Probably not. If Dump himself wrote that, there would be more typos.
Old 16 January 2019, 12:38 PM

I like how the writer talks about how Americans don't miss the non-essential functions, but there are daily stories about people waiting in lines at airports due to the TSA, people upset that they can't get to see the national parks or the Smithsonian, and worries on income tax refunds. I think overall, people appreciate the government services MORE after a shutdown since they finally sort of figure out all that they have been getting. Except those who drive on a federal highway, in a car made safe due to the federal government, collecting farm subsidies, complaining about how the government has never done anything for them.
Old 16 January 2019, 01:47 PM

dfresh, you have to remember that the article writer knows that only some of the people who live in this country are Real Americans. The people you talk about who are struggling or suffering are Fake Americans and don't matter.

Real Americans use their private planes to fly, only stay in 5-star hotels, and never paid income taxes in the first place.
Old 16 January 2019, 02:05 PM

Yeah, but the libs are still owned. Who knew that it would take a manbaby having a temper tantrum over not being able to build a giant pillow fort for people to realise that a generally sensible approach is actually a bad idea? Oh, SNAP!

...I’m doing that right, right?
Old 16 January 2019, 02:29 PM

Icon84

Speaker Pelosi wants Trump to reschedule the State of the Union. https://wtop.com/national/2019/01/sp...nment-reopens/

Good luck with that Madam Speaker; you're asking Dear Leader to keep his mouth shut.

Over at Reason, John Stossel argues that the shutdown shows that privatization is better. Now I think it's great that volunteers are keeping the parks clean, and one can argue for the privatization of other things such as museums, but I personally don't think that it's a cure all. Privatizing prisons has been a disaster, funny how Stossel does not mention that. Do those (personal) observations/opinions make me a bad libertarian?
Old 16 January 2019, 05:09 PM

I don't get the impression that Stossel considers the issues of privatized prisons to be actual problems.