snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 22 February 2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Don't forget, The Rainbow Connection is from 1979, so any relevant rainbow songs have to pre-date it.
All those do!
Old 22 February 2019, 06:41 PM

And in any event, I do not grant that proposition. Who’s to say it wasn’t a prophesying, using the power of the rainbow to look into the future and foretell songs as yet unwritten?
Old 26 February 2019, 04:01 AM

Mouse

I’m not being mean to my Roxy-kitty by playing with a laser pointer, am I? I thought I’d heard somewhere that it’s mean, forcing kitties to chase a target they can never catch, so I thought I’d ask.
Old 26 February 2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
All those do!
Thank you musicgeek! Very interesting. And I found some other candidates when looking at those.
Old 26 February 2019, 04:45 AM

How do I encourage my nephew to read on his own? He certainly needs to know that “Wallace” is not spelled “W-O-L-I-S”. It’ll help his Netflix searches.
Old 26 February 2019, 12:34 PM

Crash

Prior to their merger in the 1950s, what was the difference between the AFL and CIO? Both are are a conglomeration of various trade unions right?
Old 26 February 2019, 01:04 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
How do I encourage my nephew to read on his own?
IME, The best way is to sit and read aloud to them every day or night. Read with them and read for them and run your fingers under the words as you read them and every now and then let them try to read some of the words they know and some of the words they don't and praise them when they do well but laugh and have fun no matter what. Don't make them do it if they really don't want to. Read the books they ask for even if it's the hundredth time. Try to introduce some new ones - but only when they say yes. Just once a day; it doesn't have to be long unless they ask for another and another, in which case, I think, at least it's my own inclination, to do so until it's slightly past bedtime and/or one or both of you are asleep. That's my method.
Old 26 February 2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
How do I encourage my nephew to read on his own? He certainly needs to know that “Wallace” is not spelled “W-O-L-I-S”. It’ll help his Netflix searches.
1) Figure out what most interests him and get him books about that.

2) Read things yourself for the fun of it, in his presence; and make it clear (by behavior, not by lecturing) that you enjoy doing this.

ETA: and what ganzfeld said; adjusting for age of nephew if necessary.
Old 26 February 2019, 02:13 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I’m not being mean to my Roxy-kitty by playing with a laser pointer, am I? I thought I’d heard somewhere that it’s mean, forcing kitties to chase a target they can never catch, so I thought I’d ask.
Does your cat seem frustrated? Is it refusing to continue to play? I think cats are intelligent enough that if you were forcing it to chase the dot, it would catch on, and eventually refuse.

Seaboe
Old 26 February 2019, 05:32 PM

Three of my cats love playing laser. Every now and then I'll aim it toward the scratching post so they'll have something tangible under their feet.
Old 27 February 2019, 10:11 AM

Icon106

This is my stupid question.

I like Celtic music, and have set up a Pandora station to that effect. This is something I've wondered about for many, many years.

Why do so many songs in the genre have slashes in the titles? Like "Mulvihill’s Reel/The Dawn" and so on? The slash is often used to indicate a medley, so are there just a lot of medleys in Celtic music, or is it that these are traditional tunes that just have a lot of different names?
Old 27 February 2019, 11:29 AM

Aren't a lot of Celtic songs actually folks songs in the sense that they exist since (I want to say: ancient times) a long time, with no known composer and/or author? Could it be that the same song is known under different names in different regions and/or times?

If that is true, "Mulvihill’s Reel/The Dawn" could mean "'Mulvihill’s Reel', or as the call it in Galway and the West, 'The Dawn'".
Old 27 February 2019, 12:01 PM

Glasses

Could be, but in my experience a lot of the numbers that show up in contemporary Celtic performances are medleys. (I'm guessing that the "Mulvihill's Reel/The Dawn" you reference is the De Dannan recording; "Mulvilhill's Reel" has been recorded by other artists/groups as a standalone piece, as a medley with "Lord Ramsey's Reel," as a medley with "Egans from Clare" and "The Doon Reel," etc.)

If I had to guess as to why - dance tunes are often fairly short melodies, and aren't necessarily the most interesting thing to listen to for an extended time absent actual dancing to provide a visual/physical/social element. By combining similar or complementary pieces, an artist/group can craft a track similar in length to a typical pop song without being overly repetitive, and can also mimic the flow of a dance, where the accompanying musicians might segue quickly from one tune into another to keep the party going (much as a DJ would).
Old 27 February 2019, 04:40 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I heard somewhere* that cats will get bored if the always catch their simulated "prey", because that's not what happens with real prey in the wild. IIRC she said if you're playing with the cat with a toy on a string or that sort of thing you should let the cat catch it about a third of the time to keep the cat interested.

*Very likely in this episode of NPR's Fresh Air, but I don't have time to listen to the full interview.
Old 27 February 2019, 06:19 PM

Maybe you could occasionally land the laser pointer on a toy mouse, or something of the sort?
Old 28 February 2019, 02:44 AM

Mouse

If someone were to set off an emp from inside what’s basically a giant faraday cage, what would happen?
Old 28 February 2019, 03:51 AM

IANAP, but AIUI, a Faraday cage works by intercepting and grounding EM radiation. The amount of EM from an EMP* would likely overwhelm the grounding and turn the cage into an antenna or even melt it.

* I think there is a minimum size for an EMP, you can't make a small one.
Old 28 February 2019, 04:40 AM

I'm no expert in these things but my two cents worth:

An EMP is just a brief strong pulse of electromagnetic energy so there's not much one could say about them in general. Lightning, for example, can be a source. If the Faraday cage is grounded and the EMP is very high then I think it just conducts any internal electrical charge to the outside ground. The heat and light and current could damage it (as GenYus commented) depending on... well, everything. A Faraday cage can also be ungrounded. I don't think think that would make a tremendous difference except the amount of time it would take for that charge to dissipate. It would be a giant capacitor or Leyden jar (for a very short time, I would guess - unless by ungrounded we mean very well-insulated) and the result would still depend, again, on... everything. A huge amount of energy can pass even through a human body without doing much damage with a lot of luck. It depends on so many unpredictable factors, in addition to the many not specified by the question (such as the method of generating the EMP, etc).
Old 28 February 2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Prior to their merger in the 1950s, what was the difference between the AFL and CIO? Both are are a conglomeration of various trade unions right?
According to Wikipedia, the basic difference is that the AFL was made up of 'craft' unions - organized around a particular specialty (e.g., carpenters) and the CIO was made up of 'industrial' unions - organized around an entire industry (e.g., auto workers, steel workers). The CIO was originally formed due to an internal schism in the AFL. The current organization was the result of a reconciliation between the two groups.
Old 28 February 2019, 04:45 PM

Ironically, the schism was over which group the log-splitters belonged to.