snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 10 January 2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Our town's recycling website says that plastic bags have the potential to get caught in machinery during sorting, not that it could contaminate batches. Also, they don't have anyone to buy plastic bags.
That's the primary reason given by my town as well. This was an independent article (I'll see if I can dig it up, it's been a while since I read it) that stated a large amount of material sent for recycling actually ends up in landfills. Plastic getting into the paper stream therefore making entire batches no longer suitable for recycling was one reason given.
Old 10 January 2019, 06:18 PM

Glasses

My town recycles plastic bags, but only if they are bundled (i.e., a bag full of bags). You can't put single bags in the recycling.

Then again, I live in Seattle, where we recycle everything (there's a touch of sarcasm there, btw).

Seaboe
Old 10 January 2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Then again, I live in Seattle, where we recycle everything (there's a touch of sarcasm there, btw).
Sure, I bet youíve recycled that line a gajillion Times before.
Old 10 January 2019, 10:23 PM

Way too late to edit, but just wanted to add this too the clothes sizing issue:

If you're buying at yard sales and/or other places where it doesn't work to try things on, try this:

Get a tape measure, small enough to carry with you when you're shopping. Find something you've got that does fit you well. Measure it, and note the measurements on something you can easily carry with you (anything from your phone to a slip of paper in your wallet.) Measure hips/bust/waist, but also measure inseam, rise, and across biceps, lower arms, thighs, and calves -- a pair of pants with the right hip and waist measurement but a too-short inseam may be unwearable; so may a shirt with the right bust size but overly narrow arms (both of those all too common, IME.)

Oh, yes, and I hope the illness is better! or, rather, that you are.
Old 11 January 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
My stupid question is what are junior sizes and is there a difference between a size 16, a size XL, size 15/17, and a size 16W?
IME, the major difference between juniors (odd numbers up to 17) and misses (even numbers up to 16) is the style: juniors clothes are intended for a younger market, so they tend to be trendier. They may also be better suited to an athletic figure than to a more curvy one; my daughter had to stop shopping in juniors early in puberty.

Also IME, yes, a 16W is a bit bigger than a misses 16, and a 1X is a bit bigger than a misses XL.
Old 11 January 2019, 01:33 AM

Glasses

Thank you all for the information and suggestions. The tape measure is a great idea and I will try that first.

From what you've told me, what little shopping I've done, and the clothing gifts, I think it am a size 16 or XL top and an 18W or 1X on bottom. Probably.

The illness isn't over, but fingers crossed, under control. I appreciate your good wishes, thorny locust!

Thank you all again!

Morning
Has a big bottom and cannot lie....
(Now that song is stuck in my ears)
Old 11 January 2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

Get a tape measure, small enough to carry with you when you're shopping. Find something you've got that does fit you well. Measure it, and note the measurements on something you can easily carry with you (anything from your phone to a slip of paper in your wallet.) Measure hips/bust/waist, but also measure inseam, rise, and across biceps, lower arms, thighs, and calves -- a pair of pants with the right hip and waist measurement but a too-short inseam may be unwearable; so may a shirt with the right bust size but overly narrow arms (both of those all too common, IME.)
I've been carrying a small tape measure in my purse for years and you'd be surprised at how often I need it! And having a list of personal/misc information comes in handy too.
Hope you're feeling better!
Old 11 January 2019, 05:02 PM

A friend in college taught me this trick for thrift shopping: hold the garment up to your body, smooth it over your front, and see if the edges reach your side seams. (Obv works best if you're wearing something with side seams.) I've been successfully buying clothes that usually fit without trying them on for years doing that.
Old 11 January 2019, 06:01 PM

Whoops; that was supposed to be that something with a too-short rise may be unwearable.

Something with a too-short inseam will be wearable; though it may look funny, and/or risk cold ankles.
Old 11 January 2019, 11:43 PM

Thanks again for the ideas!

Uhm... The rise is the length of the seam from the center of the crotch to the waist, right? I would much rather have cold ankles than pants that don't pull all the way up. I'd tell everyone they were Capri pants.

Morning
Old 12 January 2019, 01:21 AM

From the waist in back all the way through the crotch to the waist in front. It may sometimes be useful to also measure the front rise (front waistband to crotch seam) and the back rise (rear waistband to crotch seam) separately, as some things have weird proportions.

Even if you can pull an overly short rise up, they can be really uncomfortable to wear. [ETA: in the other direction, if you take a short rise and the pants have a long one, they'll be baggy in the crotch.] And it's quite possible to need a short inseam and a long rise (raises hand); a fact that I wish the makers of most women's petite sizes would understand. One of the reasons (though not the only one) that I wind up mostly wearing men's slacks/pants* is that men's sizes usually let you choose the inseam length separately from the rest of the fit.

*the first time I wrote that sentence, it came out as 'I wind up mostly in men's pants', but I had second thoughts about that phrasing --
Old 12 January 2019, 07:17 PM

If you pull up a garment with a too-short rise, you're likely to make it too tight/binding in the crotch, which is something I imagine most of us would rather avoid. :-)

I'm rather fond of mid-rise pants, because when pants fit me through the hips/seat/thighs, they usually gape at the waist. Also, I'm short-waisted, so a higher rise may be too close to my ribcage to be comfortable when I sit down.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:27 PM

Glasses

It was a lot easier to just get 3X in everything. 3Xs don't mention rise or inseam or anything but "size 24/26W, fits up to 275 lbs". And even the size 28/30Ws I got from large size specialty online stores (I used to have a relatively good job) only gave choices between regular and petite lengths. (I'm 5' 5" , so neither really didn't fit or really fit well.)

But now the 3Xs are literally falling to my knees when I try to wear them. *headdesk*

Again, I appreciate the help!

I used to sew and create my own garments, but I doubt the folks in my small town wouldn't stare if I wore one of my early Tudor gowns. ( I could adjust the lacing and bodice to make them fit again.)

My chosen time period does explain my lack of knowledge about pants! *

Morning

* Apologies to UK readers whose first thought would be that I'm referring to undergarments. I can't make those either .
Old 13 January 2019, 03:03 AM

Mouse

As Iíll say many times until either Iím in the grave or the Feminazi SJWs have taken over the world, allowing for such horrors as more diverse entertainment and pads/tampons being no longer considered luxury items, the tl;dr regarding womenís clothing is we are being made to pay more for an inferior product and since these are industry-wide problems, itís not simply a matter of buying Brand X instead of Y.
Old 13 January 2019, 03:50 AM

Don't forget that it cost less to dry clean my suit than yours. After all, at over 6' and 200 lbs, there is more cloth in my suit than yours.
Old 14 January 2019, 02:25 PM

Glasses

I'll say again, the point of ready to wear isn't to make garments that fit. It is to make garments that almost fit the greatest number of consumers.

IMO, it's unreasonable to expect RTW to fit all shapes and sizes without being willing to pay for the wider variety of patterns and sizes it would take to create them, not to mention that the more different sizes a company has to make, the more it costs to make each size. If you want cheap clothes and clothes that fit you personally, buy from thrift stores and alter everything.

Seaboe
Old 14 January 2019, 02:52 PM

I've kind of gotten the hang of this after decades of shopping, including one decade of buying most of my work clothes from a resale shop. Here are my tips:

- If you buy new clothes on a regular basis, try to find one or more brands/companies that offer styles you like, and learn how their sizes fit you. This can also help when buying resale/consignment/thrift, if you come across one of these brands.

- If you're buying online from a brand you haven't purchased before, make your best guess of size based on the info the brand gives you, but assume there's a >0 chance it won't work.

- If you're buying in person from an unfamiliar brand, try it on.

- Don't get hung up on numbers: 1) don't cram yourself uncomfortably into a specific size just because that's what you usually wear; 2) don't reject a garment you really like just because you need to buy a different size; 3) don't take the way any garment of any size fits you personally, or as a comment on you or your body.
Old 14 January 2019, 02:55 PM

[ETA: replying to Seaboe] Men's slacks/pants in the same price range as women's very often allow a choice of inseams in any given size. Some moderately priced ones even allow free hemming in the men's sizes.

Back in the 1950's and early 1960's junior, misses, and women's sizes were three different proportions. This was true even in moderately priced clothing.

Ditto, also, for combination last shoes and boots; which are no longer available, as near as I can tell, in any price range at all, short of custom made. And very few people are custom making them, so that getting such is liable to involve travelling several states over and then waiting for months to get even one pair. Very few people are equipped and trained to just make their own shoes.

And the wild randomness of sizing, so that one style's size 16 may be smaller than another style's 14, and 'XL' can mean anything from 12 to 22, can't be in any way excused by the fact that people come in a lot of different shapes.

For that matter, there's a really huge amount of variation out there in colors, decorations, and styles. I'm not convinced that a clothing industry capable of providing such huge diversity in everything else is incapable of providing it in sizes.

-- I think that one thing that does happen with clothes that 'almost fit' is that a lot of people give up and buy them -- but, not being satisfied with them, they then go clothes shopping again in the hope of finding something that does fit. Having spent the time hunting, they give up and buy something else that 'almost fits' -- repeat, and repeat, with the result that they buy a whole lot more stuff than they would if they could find something that's actually right. So I suspect there's an incentive to not make clothes that actually make people happy.
Old 14 January 2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I'll say again, the point of ready to wear isn't to make garments that fit. It is to make garments that almost fit the greatest number of consumers.
That doesn't explain the wide variety of size differences between brands for women's clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
- If you buy new clothes on a regular basis, try to find one or more brands/companies that offer styles you like, and learn how their sizes fit you.
The cynic in me says this explains it.
Old 14 January 2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
- Don't get hung up on numbers: 1) don't cram yourself uncomfortably into a specific size just because that's what you usually wear; 2) don't reject a garment you really like just because you need to buy a different size; 3) don't take the way any garment of any size fits you personally, or as a comment on you or your body.
I think this speaks to one reason for the diversity of sizing schemes available. I shop at a variety of stores aimed at women of a wide variety of age groups, and I could plot a graph showing a perfect inverse relationship between the size I wear at that store and the age of their target customer. At Forever 21 (which really seems to be aimed largely at girls looking forward to being 21), I'm usually going to be the largest size they offer, if I fit into anything at all. At H&M, which is more targeted toward 20- and 30-somethings, I fall closer to the mid-range, maybe a 12. At Express, which is a bit more thirtyish and up, I'm more likely to fit into a 6 or 8. At Ann Taylor, where I may at any given moment be the only customer under 40, I'm a solid 6 in pants and definitely a small for blouses; the arm holes on the size medium sleeveless shirts are so big my boobs might pop out. I've never shopped at Chico's, but my mom, who has a similar build, once complained that even their size zero was too big for her. I think these brands assume women want to continue to wear the same size as we get older and generally heavier, so they adjust accordingly. Of course, women don't all get bigger and certainly not on a set schedule, so it mostly just creates confusion and frustration.