snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 17 February 2019, 09:01 PM

Just recently started cooking from scratch and finding out that I'm good enough to win my re-enactment group's cookoff.....*and* have them scraping the crockpot for the very last bit.

Just cooking from scratch, period. There's something highly satisfying about eating a meal and thinking, "I made this!" and not just "I opened a box or a can and heated it up."
Old 26 February 2019, 11:29 PM

My case has a cite! In re Roger S. (2018) 31 Cal.App.5th 572.
Quote:
Mother's counsel asked the juvenile court to dismiss the petition, arguing there was insufficient evidence showing Roger was at substantial risk of suffering physical harm or illness.
Dat me. :-D

Quote:
We reverse the jurisdiction finding because it was not supported by sufficient evidence showing Roger was at substantial risk of suffering serious physical harm or illness as a result of Mother's neglectful conduct.
Told ya.

Quote:
Jurisdiction under section 300, subdivision (b), requires proof “[t]he child has suffered, or there is a substantial risk that the child will suffer, serious physical harm or illness, as a result of the failure or inability of his or her parent or guardian to adequately supervise or protect the child … .” (§ 300, subd. (b).) In deciding whether there is a substantial risk of serious physical harm, within the meaning of section 300, subdivision (b), courts evaluate the risk that is present at the time of the adjudication hearing. “While evidence of past conduct may be probative of current conditions, the question under section 300 is whether circumstances at the time of the hearing subject the minor to the defined risk of harm.” (In re Rocco M. (1991) 1 Cal.App.4th 814, 824 [2 Cal. Rptr. 2d 429], abrogated in part on another ground in In re R.T. (2017) 3 Cal.5th 622, 627–629 [220 Cal. Rptr. 3d 770, 399 P.3d 1].)

The juvenile court's finding Roger was at substantial risk of suffering serious physical harm or illness as a result of Mother's neglectful conduct was not supported by sufficient evidence. Nothing in the record indicates that having body odor or wearing clothes that were dirty or too small—the only circumstances alleged in the petition the juvenile court sustained—placed Roger at substantial risk of physical harm or illness. There was no nexus cited between Roger's hygiene and any medical or dental condition.
Almost word-for-word what I said on the record. Still gives me tingles to hear myself through the distinguished voice of the Court of Appeal.
Old 27 February 2019, 12:45 AM

You're almost famous, Esprise Me! Maybe carry around copies of the cite in case you need to give out autographs?
Old 27 February 2019, 01:54 AM

It's hanging on my bulletin board by a pushpin; I'm trying to decide if a gilded frame would be overkill.
Old 27 February 2019, 04:05 AM

Having electricity, internet connection, hot water, and a cupboard full of nonperishable foods while I wait for the current blizzard to blow over.

It's the second of who knows how many.
Old 27 February 2019, 05:55 AM

Esprise Me, my learned colleague, I congratulate you!

I would opt for a humble black wooden frame, myself. Of a decent size. Made from real nice wood. With handmade vat paper as a background.

Old 27 February 2019, 02:05 PM

Glasses

Knowing I have a long weekend coming up.

Crocoduck, your post reminded me of a recent rant in our local paper's Rant and Rave column. This person was ranting about the recent snow in Seattle being called a snow storm. Apparently, it couldn't be a storm because there was no wind. I suspect this is a person who was not out when it was snowing, and had no need to go anywhere.

Seaboe
Old 27 February 2019, 02:20 PM

We have periods of high winds, 50 to 60 mph. There is no rain. Is this a storm?
Old 27 February 2019, 02:59 PM

We just had a similar situation here, and they were calling it a wind storm. I don't see why not.

(We did have a little snow with it, but not enough to be a storm on its own -- the only reason the snow was a problem was that most of it was blowing around in midair ruining visibility on the roads.)
Old 27 February 2019, 04:17 PM

Rain storm, snow storm, hail storm, wind storm, lightning storm. Storm = atmospheric event, in American English, at least, with a qualifier added to categorize it. I'd call the same stuff you're getting that we had from Sunday afternoon through yesterday afternoon a "wind storm", especially as it generated a bunch of unwanted work for us.
Old 27 February 2019, 05:06 PM

Baseball

Spring training baseball.
Old 28 February 2019, 09:45 AM

The watch repair man fixed my watch! For free!
Old 28 February 2019, 05:59 PM

The fine jewelry I inherited from both my mother and mother-in-law is now protected by insurance. Still I will be very careful with it.
Old 04 March 2019, 11:22 PM

Last weekend I volunteered with a free legal assistance clinic for trans and nonbinary folks who want to petition for a legal name and gender marker change. I did this once before, about two years ago. At the last one, I worked with a couple middle-aged people who had been carrying this secret for a long time, and had struggled and suffered greatly from the shame and fear they experienced in connection with their identity. It was clear that this step was an act of tremendous courage, and came with substantial risks.

This past weekend was different. None of the folks I worked with was over the age of 20, and most brought their supportive moms. The tenor in the room reminded me of when I went to get my marriage license; everyone was excited to be taking this step, and even the dreary bureaucracy of a jillion government forms couldn't bring them down. One person was nearly skipping as she left the room.

I know the battle is far from over. I know it's not much of a sample size, and I don't assume these young trans folks haven't suffered too. But it sure was nice to see them smile.
Old 05 March 2019, 05:56 PM

Compression socks now come in some pretty wild colors and designs, not just boring old beige, white or black.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBYZL7R...07DYKNDL3&th=1
Old 10 March 2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Last weekend I volunteered with a free legal assistance clinic for trans and nonbinary folks who want to petition for a legal name and gender marker change. I did this once before, about two years ago. At the last one, I worked with a couple middle-aged people who had been carrying this secret for a long time, and had struggled and suffered greatly from the shame and fear they experienced in connection with their identity. It was clear that this step was an act of tremendous courage, and came with substantial risks.

This past weekend was different. None of the folks I worked with was over the age of 20, and most brought their supportive moms. The tenor in the room reminded me of when I went to get my marriage license; everyone was excited to be taking this step, and even the dreary bureaucracy of a jillion government forms couldn't bring them down. One person was nearly skipping as she left the room.

I know the battle is far from over. I know it's not much of a sample size, and I don't assume these young trans folks haven't suffered too. But it sure was nice to see them smile.
I remember my high school being generally homophobic (2004-2008). I had several friends who only came out as gay once we were in college; a few transgendered classmates came out after that.

Now there are several openly transgendered students in various stages of transition, and from what I understand, people are just more accepting there. I'm sure it's still not a walk in the park to come out, or to even get to that place where you realize your own truth, but it's encouraging to see what a difference a decade and some change can make in a small town's youth population.
Old 10 March 2019, 03:46 PM

Sitting on my porch listening to the birds. Also this is the first Sunday morning in a while that my neighbor has not lit a cigar, so I actually CAN enjoy sitting outside.
Old 10 March 2019, 04:16 PM

As we were leaving the funeral home after making arrangements for my brother, my SIL noticed the black squirrel magnet (unofficial symbol of my hometown) on my car. She made an offhand comment saying I should get her one, because she keeps seeing them around but doesn't know where to get them.

Yesterday, after my brother's service, my daughter and I stopped and got her one before heading over to her house. She was genuinely excited, and really smiled for probably the first time since D passed. Such a small effort and expense, and and it brought her a moment of joy and gave her something to be look forward to (getting her car washed and putting it on).
Old 10 March 2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I remember my high school being generally homophobic (2004-2008). I had several friends who only came out as gay once we were in college; a few transgendered classmates came out after that.
Nitpick, but it's transgender, not transgendered. It's something you are, not something you used to be.
Old 10 March 2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Nitpick, but it's transgender, not transgendered. It's something you are, not something you used to be.
Interesting, this is what trans folks I know have called themselves, but thanks for letting me know it's not always the preferred term.

edit: And apologies for using an insensitive term.

Last edited by mbravo; 10 March 2019 at 07:28 PM.