snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 20 July 2016, 10:51 PM

Default Rep. Steve King wonders what ‘sub-groups’ besides whites made contributions to civil

Quote:
"This 'old white people' business does get a little tired, Charlie," King said. "I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-civilization/
Old 20 July 2016, 11:15 PM

He's correct. White men were the only ones that voted for the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. And men were the only ones that voted for the 19th Amendment.
Old 21 July 2016, 12:10 AM

I guess you're joking (at least I hope so) but I'm certain there are many many millions of Americans who think that is exactly correct. They wouldn't see any irony at all. I wouldn't say most Americans but well over 30%, IMO. Even those who think that's not exactly correct would say "well, they did a little but mostly it was only white people". Why not white men? These people are so far out of reality that they don't even rememeber there was a time women couldn't vote. It's just a vague thing in the back of their minds, like forgetting the name of an acquaintance from long ago, not as it actually is: forgetting the name of your own grandmothers. Then when you remind them it's like "OK sheesh why do you have to keep reminding me?? I have other relatives, you know."
Old 21 July 2016, 05:13 AM

Does Mr. King happen to know why the collective name for the plates and cups and things in his cupboard is "china"?

To pick just one example of non-whites contributing to civilization.
Old 21 July 2016, 08:11 AM

Or why algebra is called algebra, or what sparked the Renaissance in Europe? Although I suppose it's possible he counts Arabic people as white.
Old 21 July 2016, 08:52 AM

He doesn't think much of math or science - thinks they're some kind of heretical religion - so that's no good. If he listened to any reason at all, and since the 2nd amendment is probably holy scripture to him, one might ask him where he thinks firearms were invented. Or what kind of people are in his Bible stories... But, honestly, I don't think there's any kind of reasoning that can be made to the kind of yankee northerner who nevertheless has a confederate flag on his wall. (I would not be at all surprised to find out he's got a white hood in the closet as well.)
Old 21 July 2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Or what kind of people are in his Bible stories...
You mean, like this guy here?

Old 22 July 2016, 08:39 AM

There's also this minor development called 'agriculture' which was some people are claiming played a role in establishing human civilization? Sounds more like people mucking about in dirt and mud to me, I'm sure it wasn't all that important.