snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 03 September 2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Just out of curiosity, am I misreading or is she refusing to issue any marriage licenses (not just ones to gay couples)?

Seaboe
If so then you are not the only one misreading it.

At least she is treating everyone that wishes to marry equally, but she is still not doing her job.
Old 03 September 2015, 07:28 PM

Based on what I have read, it appears that she has at times refused all, then just same-sex, then all again (aka "taking your ball and running home crying".) I think most recently it was all or I misunderstood also.
Old 03 September 2015, 07:34 PM

AIUI, the idea is that by refusing to grant any marriage certificates, the person can claim that they are not discriminating.
Old 03 September 2015, 07:36 PM

Yes, that appears to be her defense claim.
Old 03 September 2015, 08:54 PM

I wonder whether she thinks that not giving out licenses at all also gets her out of people pointing out that she's presumably willing to give licenses to divorced people, etc.? -- of course she is a divorced person. So I suppose it would have to be divorced people who haven't repented and been "saved" since the divorce. But wouldn't that, by her presumed standards, include all divorced people who aren't members of her particular religion?
Old 03 September 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
The judge's order included telling her deputies (as well as the two other clerks in the state refusing to issue licences) to do their jobs or they could join her.
Good. I wasn't actually sure about that.
Old 03 September 2015, 10:46 PM

Judge

What I was hoping wouldn't happen happened, and I'm not surprised. The judge, IMHO, played right into the clerks's lawyer's (And the clerk herself, I might add.) hands and slapped her into jail, instantly transforming her into a marytr of the first order to all people who think like she does. I guarantee this is exactly what Davis and her legal team was hoping would happen. They'll now have a near worldwide pulpit to preach from.
Old 03 September 2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
She's been refuing to issue any marriage licenses at all since this began, which is why two of the plaintiffs in this lawsuit were two straight couples.

What I was hoping wouldn't happen happened, and I'm not surprised. The judge, IMHO, played right into the clerks's lawyer's (And the clerk herself, I might add.) hands and slapped her into jail, instantly transforming her into a marytr of the first order to all people who think like she does. I guarantee this is exactly what Davis and her legal team was hoping would happen. They'll now have a near worldwide pulpit to preach from.
I hope they keep her in a restraint chair 24/7 in a bare, un-air conditioned cell. I'm certain a few weeks of that will change her tune.
Old 03 September 2015, 10:51 PM

They can preach all they want. All I care is that people who love each other can get married now.

I am not sure what else would have worked. If she were fined then they would preach about that, people would pour money in, and she wouldn't have to pay a dime of it herself. Impeachment is great, but these people would still be waiting for their licenses the entire time, and still the haters would preach. The only thing that they would have accepted would be allowing her to collect pay for not doing her job, and to me that is intolerable.
Old 03 September 2015, 10:52 PM

Hello Kitty

Sorry, we should torture people who are jerks now?
Old 03 September 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
The judge, IMHO, played right into the clerks's lawyer's (And the clerk herself, I might add.) hands and slapped her into jail, instantly transforming her into a marytr of the first order to all people who think like she does.
I think the judge made it pretty clear why he didn't just fine her and send her back to work -- it wouldn't accomplish anything. In one article I either read or posted, he told Davis that he was Catholic, but that it had no bearing on the legal decisions he's expected to make.

My feeling is that few actually thought today would turn out any differently than it did.

~Psihala
Old 03 September 2015, 10:56 PM

Jail is the best of the options available to the judge. A fine would just be paid via crowdfunding (or directly by the Liberty Counsel) and would still leave her in her office to deny marriage licenses. Allowing her to ignore the court order would cause the same result plus make it more likely that other clerks would follow her example because there is no penalty.

ETA: Is crowdspanking a thing? 'Cause I think I just experienced it.
Old 03 September 2015, 10:56 PM

You make a good point. It looks like this will get a lot uglier before it's resolved, most likely to no one's satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
It seems that Ms. Davis has not been an exemplar of traditional Christian values in her personal life:
To me, this makes absolutely no difference, as it has nothing to do with what's transpiring. Pointing at her past and exclaiming "You're no better!" accomplishes nothing regarding the matter at hand. Nothing more than a schoolyard taunt.
Old 03 September 2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Torture no. Make uncomfortable and bored certainly.
Old 03 September 2015, 11:04 PM

I'm not sure what the judge is supposed to do. She's already so high-profile that she's going to be able to raise funds. I don't know if he has the power to prevent her from accepting any third party's money, but she'd still be able to collect it after the case ends.

I do think, regardless of what else happens and even if she stays in jail for a while, that he should fine her at least the amount of her pay, from the first date when she refused to do her job. IMO she's stealing public funds by continuing to accept pay for not working. (Her salary is $80,000 which is a lot of money in that part of the country.)
Old 03 September 2015, 11:21 PM

Judge With defiant Kentucky clerk in jail, her deputies promise judge they'll license gay m

A defiant county clerk went to jail Thursday for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, but five of her deputies agreed to issue the licenses themselves, potentially ending the church-state standoff in Rowan County, Kentucky.

http://www.startribune.com/clerk-in-...urt/324062661/

Looks like the judge got the five other clerk's attention. Apparenetly, none of them have any appetite to join their boss in jail. Which was, I'm sure, part of what he was trying to accomplish. Wonder how long she'll sit there before either agreeing to issue the licenses, or resigning.
Old 03 September 2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
Torture no. Make uncomfortable and bored certainly.
Being constantly shackled to a chair for hundreds of hours is going to be more than "uncomfortable". Do a Google image search for "pressure sores" if you need examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
No, no, no. We should torture people to make them do what we want, that's much better.
Old 03 September 2015, 11:24 PM

Exactly, lord_feldon. I think this is the only way to ensure that she is the party being penalized. She can't crowdfund her jail term.
Old 03 September 2015, 11:26 PM

The judge should order that this be played in her jail cell.
Old 03 September 2015, 11:29 PM

She is religious. How about the text of Romans 13 on a loop?