snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 13 August 2014, 12:57 PM

Goldfish Teenager Made Corsicana Walmart His Home

Employees of a Corsicana [Texas] Walmart were shocked to find a teenage boy secretly living inside the store for several days.

The teen wasn’t just hiding in the store. He built a secret hidden compound and was able to call the 24-hour store home for four days before being discovered.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/08/13/t...mart-his-home/
Old 13 August 2014, 04:14 PM

He must have read my zombie plan (except I'm using Costco).
Old 13 August 2014, 04:24 PM

Baseball

There was a book that I read as a kid in the '70s where a brother and sister snuck into a museum and lived there to solve a mystery.

Ever since then, I'd always thought that type of living would be kinda neat (from an unconventional camping point of view, not the point of view of the store/museum or their patrons).

It was reinforced by an episode of My Name is Earl and the film Employee of the Month.

I can't wait to get to a computer that can play a video so I can see the report if it has imagery of the hideout.
Old 13 August 2014, 04:28 PM

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Loved that book. I also read one where the kids "ran away" from a babysitter to an island.
Old 13 August 2014, 04:32 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Loved that book. I also read one where the kids "ran away" from a babysitter to an island.
Beat me to it. Just coming back to post the Wikipedia article on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_t...E._Frankweiler

ETA: and in the small coincidences file - the film based upon the book mentioned above starred none other than Lauren Bacall.

Last edited by UEL; 13 August 2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding coincidence
Old 13 August 2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post

I can't wait to get to a computer that can play a video so I can see the report if it has imagery of the hideout.
Channel 11 news last night showed his hidey hole and the trash he left behind. Still unexplained as of last night was why no one reported him missing.
Old 13 August 2014, 04:50 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Channel 11 news last night showed his hidey hole and the trash he left behind. Still unexplained as of last night was why no one reported him missing.
OK, found a computer that could play a video. I'm underwhelmed. He could have set that up much better and the trash trail was so disgusting. He could have better eliminated the trash.

Oh well. On to fantasy land again.
Old 13 August 2014, 04:52 PM

Richard, he lived with one group of relatives and was visiting another group of relatives. Both may have just assumed he was with the others.
Old 13 August 2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Granted things are different with an underage person vs. an adult living independently but I'm always surprised how quickly people are reported missing. I suppose many people have cellphones these days (even I finally broke down at got one), but surely we're not required to remain in contact 24/7. I could easily go several days without contacting friends or coworkers before it would seem out of place. Do people really panic if you don't call or contact them every day? Do most people's work places really monitor employees so closely that a few absences leads them to think "Clearly this person is missing and in trouble" and not "This dude is getting fired for not calling in"? I hear from my family once every week or two, and bump into real life buddies at about the same rate. It just seems odd that someone taking off for less than a day would get reported to the police as missing.
Old 13 August 2014, 06:38 PM

I would prefer my employer look into my absence if I don't show up and don't call in for several days. It would be very uncharacteristic behavior, for one thing.

ETA: And I'd get written up for multiple absences not called in or reported through other channels (email, an instant message, my employer's online time off reporting tool).
Old 13 August 2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
There was a book that I read as a kid in the '70s where a brother and sister snuck into a museum and lived there to solve a mystery.

Ever since then, I'd always thought that type of living would be kinda neat (from an unconventional camping point of view, not the point of view of the store/museum or their patrons).

It was reinforced by an episode of My Name is Earl and the film Employee of the Month.

Billie Lett's Where the Heart Is starts with the discovery of a young pregnant woman living in a WalMart. I wonder if that is how the kid got the idea?
Old 13 August 2014, 10:21 PM

Aren't most, if not all, WalMarts in the US open 24 hours?
Old 13 August 2014, 11:21 PM

Icon95

My boss would call if I was an hour late. By noon she'd be calling my brother. Now between Friday at five and Monday at 8:30, I could easily go missing without anyone noticing.
Old 13 August 2014, 11:40 PM

While there have been a few other literary and TV references in this thread, am I really the only one who first thought of the King of the Hill episode where Hank and Dale discover Chuck Mangione living at the Maga-Lo-Mart?
Old 13 August 2014, 11:43 PM

I sometimes wonder how long it would be before anyone noticed me missing. I have contact with a lot of people on any given day, but I keep my own schedule, sometimes spend days without leaving the house. There is very little I do with any regularity and even those things I do on a schedule, like dragon boating, I often miss with out letting people know in advance.
Old 14 August 2014, 11:49 AM

Newspaper this morning says the kid was there for only 2 days, not 4 as originally reported.
Old 14 August 2014, 01:09 PM

My boss is in Oklahoma. I don't report to anyone in my building in Massachusetts. I could easily skip work for a week without anyone noticing.

My wife, on the other hand, would notice right away.

Dwight
Old 14 August 2014, 04:00 PM

Unless of course she was the one trying to hide your body.
Old 14 August 2014, 04:17 PM

I was going to say that I'd be missed at work and it would be uncharacteristic, but after thinking about it, I probably could go a few days without being noticed. Or more accurately, people would notice I was missing, but would assume I was sick or on vacation. The team I actually work with is in a different city, and my direct leader is in another, so I could see some chance for miscommunication there (it doesn't help that I divide my time between different projects, so if work wasn't getting done on one, someone could assume I was tied up with the other). They'd definitely notice I wasn't responding, but it would probably be a few days before anyone actually tried to track me down. The people I share an office with are in other departments, so we're friendly, but they're not the people I'd report an absence to. We also have a somewhat flexible workplace, so for a day or half a day off, I'll usually just give a heads up to the people I'm working with directly rather than bugging my boss and officially saying I won't be there (I do leave out of office messages).

So yeah, I probably could drop off the face of the planet and not be noticed for a week, just because of how fragmented things are. It's kind of a scary thought.
Old 14 August 2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Unless of course she was the one trying to hide your body.
My wife is rather small and I am rather large so the mental picture I get is more comical than disturbing.

dewey