snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 25 April 2014, 05:43 PM

I happened to notice yesterday that the leg of lamb roast was $4.99/lb, as were the shanks, I think. Frenched rack of chops was $8.99/lb. All at Safeway. The roast price seems close to what I remember it being at Trader Joes last time I got one. (Not specifically responding to Tootsie--just throwing it out there since I looked at it yesterday.)
Old 25 April 2014, 06:19 PM

Those prices don't seem all that high to me, but of course, that is because beef prices have gone up so high this year, that it just makes lamb seems less expensive. Anyway, this thread has got me curious about trying lamb. Should I start with ground lamb, or go for chops or a shank first?
Old 27 April 2014, 12:20 AM

Apparently I'm the outlier - we have lamb 2-3 times a week on average. My wife likes to get animals from 4H and other "we know the animal" type of things. We got half a cow once and it was just way too much to eat before it got freezer burned. A whole lamb is about two brown paper grocery bags of meat, so a pen (2) of lambs is a good freezer fill. I find the taste very similar to beef and use it in plenty of beef dishes, although it does tend to be much leaner.

I do like mint jelly with my leg of lamb, mostly because it's rare for me to mix sweet and savory like that. The chops I usually do with salt and pepper, or I've found a rosemary and garlic crust works really nicely, or just a variety of spices my wife finds sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I have no idea, but lamb is definitely not gamey. Greasy, yes- actually, if you try cooking it the same as you would a cut of beef you're likely to set it on fire.
Not sure how you're cooking your beef that would set lamb on fire - I've done lamb chops on the broiler, the stovetop, and the grill, and done leg of lamb in the slow smoker and on a kettle grill. And done tons of ground lamb up for crumbled-beef type dishes (taco meat, with pasta, etc).
Old 27 April 2014, 01:33 AM

That's just what I've always been told about cooking lamb.
Old 27 April 2014, 05:20 AM

I think you're supposed to take the wool part off before putting it over the fire. Hope that helps.
Old 27 April 2014, 05:26 AM

D'oh!

D'oh!

(Obligatory filler text)
Old 27 April 2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That's just what I've always been told about cooking lamb.
Unlike beef where you can basically throw in in the oven and let it cook I do find you need to keep a closer eye on lamb. Sometimes it can really splutter and splatter and that means, while it may not start a fire, it can definitely get pretty smoky.
Old 27 April 2014, 03:57 PM

I've never had that problem, but then I rend to go with low and slow methods for lamb--and similar cuts of beef--anyway.
Old 18 May 2014, 02:22 PM

I love lamb, but no one else in this house does, so I only eat it at Easter or when I happen to eat out at a place that serves it.
Old 19 May 2014, 09:46 AM

When I roast lamb, which is special occasions only, I cover it with spiced garlic butter and essentially let it burn for 15 minutes (before leaving it on low for ages). No flames, nor enough smoke to be noticeable.
It is an oven-friendly/quick version/mockery of a Moroccan preparation for lamb. But when I do it, it comes with Yorkshire pudding- many colours of 'wrong' but wonderfully satisfying.