snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 20 April 2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I'm talking about chains. Not all of them carry everything, but I can get all that from either Shop Rite or Wegmans.
I am quite jealous than

We have rack of lamb and often leg of lamb and sometimes ground lamb here, often bison (mostly steak and stew meat), duck and goose (though the latter two are only sold 'whole', not cuts) and some organ meat like liver, heart, etc, but that would be it for a typical grocery store (excluding common meat of course).

I can't think of ever seeing goat in a regular store, and never deer.

Again.. Jealous..
Old 20 April 2014, 05:36 PM

I think there are local laws in some places that prohibit the sale of deer in a grocery store. Not sure.

Geese tend to only go on sale here around Christmas (in the chains).

ETA: Add rabbit to that list, actually--it's not always there but is pretty often there.
Old 20 April 2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Yeah, I thought the great cheese debate showed that speaking about what's available in supermarkets in "America" is something where one should tread very lightly. The supermarkets around here have a much wider variety than apparently what's in the Columbus area, and that includes a chain that is a subsidiary of Kroger.
Even "Columbus area" might be too broad. I don't eat meat and my daughter doesn't eat lamb, so I can't speak to that specifically. But Columbus is diverse and sprawling. I wouldn't be surprised if grocery stores product selections vary between different areas.
Old 20 April 2014, 05:41 PM

I decided to go off to confirm the goat. Here's a listing on Wegmans website.
Old 20 April 2014, 05:41 PM

I can get a lot of those meats (don't recall seeing deer) in speciality markets, in fact there is one downtown that has all sorts of exotic meats like kangaroo, alligator, etc, but when you go to a speciality market now you are paying a premium on an item that was a premium item to begin with making it more difficult to justify in my budget.

As I noted above though one odd exception is goat; to be fair I don't know how much it costs in general but there are many speciality Muslim shops which will not only sell the typical 'cubes' (which IME are really only good for stews and curry and the like) but also will sell rib, leg, etc and generally the price is $5-6/lb. Outside of very cheap cuts of meat most options start at $3-4/lb and go up quickly from there, so it's a pretty low price for something that is a speciality meat (regionally at least) and from a small market vs. a megastore.

They often have lamb for similar prices as well (which is often less than a typical store charges and they have far more cuts available).

Last edited by Mickey Blue; 20 April 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 20 April 2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post

ETA: Add rabbit to that list, actually--it's not always there but is pretty often there.
I don't know what the criteria is here with rabbit. Once in a very long while I've noticed it in a major supermarket but it's pretty rare and now that I think about it it's been awhile. If someone was counting on it they'd be disappointed I think.
Old 20 April 2014, 06:39 PM

Chef

Leg of lamb is the meat of choice for a Greek Easter dinner. It's also a possible main course for a retro fancy dinner. It's weird, though, leg of lamb has become difficult to find in this neighborhood. Chops and neck (for stewing) are always available, but for a leg I will probably need to make a special trip to Astoria.
Old 20 April 2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Even "Columbus area" might be too broad. I don't eat meat and my daughter doesn't eat lamb, so I can't speak to that specifically. But Columbus is diverse and sprawling. I wouldn't be surprised if grocery stores product selections vary between different areas.
Yes, there are a number of of great specialty markets around Columbus, plus the number of markets catering to different ethnicities has grown in the last 20 years or so. Yet the selection of meats at chain markets has grown more limited through the years as the specialty markets have expanded. For instance, the chain market I shop at is in one of the trendiest downtown location, and they no longer stock lamb (though you can buy any kind cheese you can think of).

As for venison, even though Ohio has over 100 farms raising white tailed deer for slaughter, deer meat is also considered to be exotic selection, only found in high end specialty retailers.
Old 20 April 2014, 10:52 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't know what the criteria is here with rabbit. Once in a very long while I've noticed it in a major supermarket but it's pretty rare and now that I think about it it's been awhile. If someone was counting on it they'd be disappointed I think.

Rabbit round here is nearly always availible round here, IGA(Sobeys), Metro and Maxi/Provigo/Loblaws have whole rabbit frozen.

Deer I rarely see as joints but more often in fondue slices.

HOrse is also very common, mainly as mince but sometimes as steaks.
Old 20 April 2014, 11:31 PM

I had seen the below article about a charity setting up collaborative goat farms to raise what would otherwise be essentially discarded excess male kids for immigrants who want goat meat. It seems odd that this would even be necessary to me, in that I see plenty of carnicerias (Spanish for butcher shop) around the Atlanta metro area, so it seems like there should be no problem with there being a market for anyone raising goats for the meat. But maybe different areas have had trouble allowing carnicerieas to be established.

New Americans turn to collaborative goat farming to address Vermont food, farm demand - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...255774061.html
Old 21 April 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
Rabbit round here is nearly always availible round here, IGA(Sobeys), Metro and Maxi/Provigo/Loblaws have whole rabbit frozen.
I wonder if I'm remembering grocery shopping from when I lived in Quebec or from when we visit relatives.
Old 21 April 2014, 01:10 AM

I think I remember seeing lamb when I was a kid. Is that the one that they often provide mint jelly with? (Yuk). I know that heart and tongue used to always be at Meijer, but I haven't seen it in years. My mom never bought it and neither did I, but it was always something that caught my eye. I've seen chicken liver and gizzards, and of course pork and beef liver.

I don't think venison is legal here to sell in general, but I'd have to check. I've never seen goat, rabbit, mutton, bison, or goose. I have seen whole ducks on occasion. We tried veal once years ago when my husband was trying to lower his cholesterol. I don't remember how it tasted, but we couldn't figure out what the fuss was (expensive). Then I found out how they're raised and that was the end of that. DH didn't like it anyway.
Old 21 April 2014, 01:15 AM

Someone told me that the "jelly" served with lamb is really mint chutney. That would make more sense to me than "jelly" in the usual US sense, but I don't know if it's correct.
Old 21 April 2014, 01:19 AM

By mint jelly do you mean that really bright green jelly? We had that once and found it way too sweet. We prefer either Colman's or Cross and Blackwell mint sauce. Much thinner and darker with a bit of a bite to it.
Old 21 April 2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
By mint jelly do you mean that really bright green jelly? We had that once and found it way too sweet. We prefer either Colman's or Cross and Blackwell mint sauce. Much thinner and darker with a bit of a bite to it.
As I recall yes, though like I said this was years and years ago when I still lived at home with my parents. Good grief it was decades. I hate mint. I don't let the dentist use it on me. Blech.

Lainie: what exactly is "chutney". The stuff I remember looked like a square of green jello. *shudder*
Old 21 April 2014, 01:27 AM

Chutney is an Indian condiment. There are many varieties, but here's a mint chutney recipe.

ETA: It's neither sweet nor sticky nor gelatinous.
Old 21 April 2014, 01:30 AM

We made mint sauce by puddling mint leaves in vinegar. Yum, I can taste it now.
Old 21 April 2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post

Lainie: what exactly is "chutney". The stuff I remember looked like a square of green jello. *shudder*
That sounds like what I'm thinking of. It looks much more like any other kind of solid jelly except it's a bright unlikely shade of green. Chutney to me, is a little, well, chunkier. I'd think a mint chutney might be pretty good depending on what else is in it. Like you though I'm not a big mint fan. A little goes a long way.
Old 21 April 2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Chutney is an Indian condiment. There are many varieties, but here's a mint chutney recipe.

ETA: It's neither sweet nor sticky nor gelatinous.
Then it must have been an Americanized version of the real thing. It looked nasty and gelatinous. It reminds me on consideration of canned cranberry sauce in texture, though it was "clearer". It was clear nuclear green and labeled "Mint Jelly". It's stuck with me because I loath mint so much and it looked horrid.
Old 21 April 2014, 01:35 AM

Was it like this? This is what I think of when I hear mint jelly.

http://www.smuckers.ca/product-details.aspx?pid=131

The blurb attached suggests trying the mint sauce with chocolate desserts. I'm not gonna try it, let's get Mikie!