snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 19 April 2014, 05:10 PM

Sheep Before and After Easter, Americans Lose Their Taste for Lamb

Lamb is one of those foods that many Americans spend weeks looking forward to eating on Easter — and then promptly forget about for the rest of the year. Those fluffy and neglected young sheep are probably grateful for our disinterest.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...taste-for-lamb
Old 19 April 2014, 05:30 PM

I don't think I've ever known anyone in America who eats lamb, even on special occasions.

Easter for my family has always been about ham.
Old 19 April 2014, 05:35 PM

We eat lamb now and then. Price is really the major stumbling block for us. I didn't have lamb until I married my husband - I don't know if his French Canadian background meant more lamb was eaten at home or if it was just that his parents liked lamb but it was something they had fairly often. Not in my house. My mother loathed lamb and as kids the idea of eating a cute little baby lamb was appalling to us anyway.
Old 19 April 2014, 05:48 PM

Lamb is one of my favorite meats and we try to eat it when we can, the issue we face is that it often is a bit harder to find (besides perhaps crown rack, which is great but super expensive) and often tends to be pricy.

My favorite meat is goat, so that's even harder (though when you find it it's often not too expensive compared to other meats, generally around 5-7/pound).
Old 19 April 2014, 05:52 PM

I generally like lamb. My mom makes a lamb curry that's one of my favorite dishes, and last month I had a lamb burger that was phenomenal, the best burger I've ever had.

I don't cook lamb, though. Like Sue said, it's relatively expensive, and I'm not sure how to pick a good piece.
Old 19 April 2014, 05:57 PM

A number of our family friends are sheep ranchers. I grew up eating lamb, though I don't eat it as much anymore.
Old 19 April 2014, 06:23 PM

If I could afford it, I'd eat lamb often. It's delicious. However, I think it's the price that causes people to eat it only on Easter as a special celebratory meal.
Old 19 April 2014, 06:24 PM

I think the only place I've ever had lamb recently has been at "ethnic" restaurants, specifically Mediterranean and Indian places. I don't think anyone in my family has ever cooked lamb at home. Ham has always been our traditional Easter meal, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a regional or cultural thing. I seem to vaguely recall David Sedaris (whose family is Greek) mentioning in his stories his parents making lamb for special occasions.
Old 19 April 2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I don't think I've ever known anyone in America who eats lamb, even on special occasions.

Easter for my family has always been about ham.
I've had lamb for dinner literally every Easter for as long as I can remember.

Nick
Old 19 April 2014, 07:41 PM

My mom occasionally served lamb chops for dinner, but we usually had ham on Easter.

I've had leg of lamb in a restaurant in Williamsburg, as they tend to serve dishes that were popular in colonial times. Also had lamb in gyros here.
Old 19 April 2014, 09:45 PM

If we did any sort of Easter dinner when I was growing up, it was ham.

I've had a lamb-burger once (it was tasty) and lamb occasionally with Mediterranean foods, but it's not something I really remember the taste of or have gone out of my way to find.
Old 19 April 2014, 10:00 PM

When I was making a steadier income, I ate lamb quite a bit. It only costs about a dollar or so more a pound here than beef (which also seems frightfully expensive now that I'm watching every penny). I have recipe for Greek lasagna using lamb that is AMAZING. And it's a skillet version, so it's not the unspeakable hassle that the real thing would be.
Old 19 April 2014, 10:09 PM

The only time I see lamb, outside of specialty meat markets, is in August after the Ohio State Fair. The chain supermarket Kroger buys tons of 4H and champion lambs, and for about 3 weeks after sells lamb at very reasonable prices. They even sell lamb organ meat, which is the only time I get to make lamb liver and onions. Delish!
Old 19 April 2014, 10:15 PM

Ham and scalloped potatoes are our Easter meal - if we're expecting a big crowd I might cook a turkey as well. The problem with lamb is not everyone likes it so I don't tend to cook it at holidays.
Old 19 April 2014, 11:14 PM

We have lamb several times a year. Around passover, and then a few more random times. Lamb burgers, leg of lamb, shoulder roast, etc. Very very rarely is it lamb chops though.
Old 19 April 2014, 11:28 PM

Best lamb ever: http://53rdand6th.com/

I eat it about once every month.
Old 19 April 2014, 11:31 PM

Goat

My family has ham for every holiday, even Thanksgiving, although turkey is present also. Probably because everyone likes ham, and it's cheap and easy to cook.

The one and only time I had lamb was at a Greek restaurant. The lamb chops were unfortunately dry and tough. I rarely see lamb in grocery stores around here, and have never seen goat meat for sale.

I have also never had duck or goose, only chicken, turkey, and pheasant.

I've had haggis more times than I've had lamb, actually!
Old 19 April 2014, 11:41 PM

Icon18

I don't eat lamb very often partly because of the price, but more than that because I'm the only person in my family who likes it. It's become a thing I treat myself to occasionally when I'm on my own and in a mood.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 20 April 2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka_the_Pooka View Post
I rarely see lamb in grocery stores around here....
Have you been looking for it? If so, I'm very surprised. Even the pretty sub-par Safeway near my house (even other Safeways are somewhat to much better) has a small selection of lamb. The bigger/better stores have quite a bit more selection, though it's always only a small portion of the meat department. It's odd that it would be so different just across the river.

Now goat I have only seen in specialty markets, though I've had it in restaurants and from food carts.
Old 20 April 2014, 01:14 AM

Royalty

I love lamb, we eat it about once a month as a roast and then in various left-over dishes....

I'd cook it more often but the rest of the family would like a choice for the weekly roast.