snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Old 04 April 2014, 01:22 PM

Blow Your Top "Pillar of fire" Australia - in real time

This is downright biblical.

Mods - I'm not sure where this one should go; feel free to move it if there's a more fitting forum.
Old 04 April 2014, 04:00 PM

Fire whirls are fairly common on wildfires with erratic winds. I've never seen one that large in person just smaller ones. They can be interesting to watch if they pose no threat. Also referred to as the 'Devil dancing' or 'Fire Goblins'.

I've only seen footage of one fire "tornado" that had the power to rip up large trees in a fire behavior class(the tornado was still a side effect of the fire). Peshtigo,Wi is thought to have been hit by an actual tornado during a forest fire in 1871 that morphed into a horrific combination. This was based off early meteorological maps indicating the formation of a system capable of forming tornadoes and finding the trucks from loaded lumber train cars several hundred yards from the tracks.
This was the same system that fueled the Great Chicago fire that occured at the same time about 250 miles apart.

ETA- while trying to find footage of previously mentioned I came across a report of a confirmed fire tornado in Canberra during their 2003 firestorm. It was rated F2 and was weather created.
Old 04 April 2014, 08:00 PM

Pretty impressive... it's always good to see where these phrases and images might come from. The world is more incredible than we often think!

The camera-work and editing annoyed me though - why did he keep cutting away every time something interesting happened?
Old 04 April 2014, 10:58 PM

How about a fire whirl with tumbleweeds?
Old 05 April 2014, 01:16 AM

Icon24

Nature is amazing! It even plays thrash metal in the background! I like thrash metal. And nature. ... and whisky.
Old 05 April 2014, 05:27 PM

Showed up on the Bad Astronomy site.

… But Does a Fire Tornado in Australia Spin the Other Way?