snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 02 April 2014, 10:10 PM

Icon605 Supreme Court strikes down overall limits on political contributions

The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, has ruled that limits on the total amount of money individuals can give to candidates, political parties and political action committees are unconstitutional.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...bution-limits/
Old 03 April 2014, 01:33 AM

I suggested a law a long time ago which would have made this unnecessary, but I suspect the Court would have struck it down on the same basis. Currently, it's illegal for foreigners to give money to U.S. political campaigns. I would extend that and prohibit donations from anyone who does not reside in the area where a referendum or candidate is appearing on the ballot.
Old 03 April 2014, 02:08 AM

Where would corporations be considered to reside?
Old 03 April 2014, 04:39 PM

in the state where they're incorporated
Old 03 April 2014, 04:45 PM

Ponder

But a business can incorporate in a given state even though they may have no facilities in that state or do any business in that state.
Old 03 April 2014, 04:45 PM

The thing that gets me is, even if corporations are people with all the rights of people, the right to free speech can be limited if such speech is considered harmful. Slanderous statements have long been prohibited in regular life and in politics. Cannot "speech" as unlimited money be considered as potentially harmful as lying about your opponent?

ETA: Doesn't a corporation need to have a "presence" in the state in which they incorporate, even if that presence is just a mail drop?
Old 03 April 2014, 04:52 PM

I'm still wondering how a corporation gets it's right to firearms or to vote.
Old 03 April 2014, 04:56 PM

Ponder

You may have to demonstrate some nominal tie to the state in order to incorporate there, such as listing the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address in the state. But in practical terms you don't really have to physically be in a state, do any business within that state, or conduct any business activity at all within a state to incorporate there.
Old 03 April 2014, 04:58 PM

Voting is a right granted to citizens, not persons. And a corporation isn't born or naturalized, so it isn't a citizen. And companies have the right to bear arms, they aren't guaranteed the ability to do so however.

ETA: I guess the registered agent is what I was thinking of with regard to the "presence". There is an urban legend about a building (site, location, etc) in Delaware that is nothing but mailboxes and someone to answer the phone that is the legal agent for some of the biggest financial and other corporations in the US.
Old 03 April 2014, 05:24 PM

GenYus, I just read an article related to that legend, although it's set in South Dakota, not Delaware:
Quote:
Don’t look for any heiresses in this former five-and-dime. Most days, the small offices that represent these families are shut. Even empty, they provide their owners with an important asset: a South Dakota address for their trust funds.
Old 03 April 2014, 05:36 PM

Baseball

In order to do a wide range of business in the US, any company must have a registered footprint there.

As was brought out in the Quebec Election campaign, many companies use Delaware as their basecamp as it is tax-wise, quite a bit easier than most of the country. Some even consider it a tax haven.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ions-1.2591317
Old 03 April 2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The thing that gets me is, even if corporations are people with all the rights of people, the right to free speech can be limited if such speech is considered harmful. Slanderous statements have long been prohibited in regular life and in politics. Cannot "speech" as unlimited money be considered as potentially harmful as lying about your opponent?
It could be, and is, by the minority of the court (led by Justice Breyer), but the majority only consider quid pro quo corruption to be worth restricting money-speech.
Old 08 April 2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
But a business can incorporate in a given state even though they may have no facilities in that state or do any business in that state.
But a business can only incorporate in one state.
So that would be an interesting change. A business that wants to donate to state politicians would have to choose one state in which to do that.
Old 08 April 2014, 06:21 PM

But subsidiaries can also be incorporated. I think that happens a lot with insurance as the laws are extremely varied from state to state. So each subsidiary could be "encouraged" to donate to their local politician.