snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 15 January 2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_karma24 View Post
What a crock. I think they should have the kid and/or his father dress up in the outfit so they can see how damn hard it is to work in those things. I once played our school mascot (Santa Clara Bronco) and let me tell you just how hard it is to operate in that thing. I found myself constantly having to check my surroundings before taking a step to make sure I didn't crush some poor kid wanting a hug, thus causing a catastrophic incident, which would have shortened my tenure at that university.
So you think these suits are pretty much unsafe as used.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
So you think these suits are pretty much unsafe as used.
He didn't say that. He said that there could have been problems had he NOT been trying to look at his surroundings to the best of his ability. Have you ever been in one of those suits? Ever? For more than 5 minutes?
Old 15 January 2007, 11:36 PM
bad_karma24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey is a gyrl View Post
He didn't say that. He said that there could have been problems had he NOT been trying to look at his surroundings to the best of his ability. Have you ever been in one of those suits? Ever? For more than 5 minutes?
Exactly. I was in those suits for an entire basketball game, and it was quite a pain. I don't think that they are necessarily unsafe (I can't think of any injuries that befell a person wearing one), you just have to watch where you're standing and where you're moving. I imagine it must be difficult for the people who design the suits, as they must sacrifice mobility and visual quality for essentially aesthetics. And I just wore a costume that was designed for a small (5,000 undergrads) university. Disney has to deal with the same thing, even though they are a huge corporation that sees hundreds of thousands of people per day.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:44 PM

Just for the record, Mickey, I have. I have done a lot of different jobs, including that. The suit was somewhat bigger. I don't recall thinking it was particularly dangerous. I don't think it lends itself to accidentally whacking a child but I can see how it might happen.

I do think it is quite forgivable if Tigger did it by accident. Not if it was on purpose.
Old 16 January 2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Just for the record, Mickey, I have. I have done a lot of different jobs, including that. The suit was somewhat bigger. I don't recall thinking it was particularly dangerous. I don't think it lends itself to accidentally whacking a child but I can see how it might happen.

I do think it is quite forgivable if Tigger did it by accident. Not if it was on purpose.

I think it's forgivable if he purposely pushed the kid away, but accidentally decked him. Is that kinda what you meant?
Old 16 January 2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
If Tigger's head is anything like Barney's is/was, I can attest to how easy it would be to accidentally hit a child or (which I almost did) run over one. The visibility out of that head was horrible. No peripheral vision at all, limited vision directly in front of you and below your head (I couldn't see anything within a foot, foot and a half radius around me), and add to that the weight of the head and a tail that you had to be careful of and balance while hugging small children you can't see once they step closely to you.

IIRC, Tigger's head is made like Barney's in that the actor in the costume can only see out of the head's eye holes - not the mouth. This limits visability severely and can cause mishaps, like hitting a child accidentally, to happen.
Old 24 January 2007, 08:13 AM
PrometheusX303

As my first post here, I'd like to point out a few things:

1. Tigger's legs were spread wide. He was off balance when the incident occurred.
2. One or two of the clips runs long enough to show Tigger apparently shaking the boy's hand and patting him on the back. Most of them, though, are cut just before this.
3. The boy seems more embarrassed than angry when he's being interviewed.

Lucas
Old 24 January 2007, 07:30 PM
Wizywyg

Having been a suit actor at disney as well ( i was chip / dale / timon ), i can feel for the guy in that suit

You can clearly see from that video, that Tigger was reacting to what he felt was a guest pulling/tugging on his costume. So did what we all do naturally; react to it. But in his reaction, since HE couldn't see (and those masks are not easy to see out of) he just hit the boy by accident..

it was an accident, guys. The most you deserve is a free day at Disney.
Old 24 January 2007, 08:35 PM
fairytale-girl

to me it was the boy that was pulling on tigger and playing around and tigger didn't realize where he actually hit him its just a bunch of crap and an accedent so the boys parents need to get over it cause it was the childs fault too
Old 24 January 2007, 09:18 PM

Welcome to the board, fairytale-girl! Without any snarkiness intended, let me advise you that the snopes board (unlike many out there on the 'net) encourages proper capitalization and punctuation in posts. It makes the post easier to read, and generally makes others on the board more inclined to seriously consider your points. We're not grammar nazis (well, not all of us and not most of the time ), but attention to formatting is considered good board manners. Having said that, welcome aboard and have fun!
Old 28 January 2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donfrow View Post
Are there no expections to this rule?

If not, the only option is to be fired?
That really really sucks. That kind of job doesn't seem to have many perks and many problems, though I guess seeing lots of cute little kids would make up for it.
When I went to Disney world in Florida last March, I don't recall seeing bodyguards with any of the characters, though they had lines for many of the characters for pictures and whatnot, so I guess the people in charge of the lines must be the bodyguards.
Old 28 January 2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeze042 View Post
That really really sucks. That kind of job doesn't seem to have many perks and many problems, though I guess seeing lots of cute little kids would make up for it.
When I went to Disney world in Florida last March, I don't recall seeing bodyguards with any of the characters, though they had lines for many of the characters for pictures and whatnot, so I guess the people in charge of the lines must be the bodyguards.
Let me reiterate- they are not bodyguards. They are attendants, whose purpose is to take care of the lines, and help the character if the character needs it (i.e. borrowing a pen)
Old 31 January 2007, 02:41 AM
rob in fla

I watched it, and looked like a smart acting teen, messing with a staff member. The parents are blowing it up to shake down Disney. I say show them the gate.
Old 16 February 2007, 01:54 PM

Ponder

No charges to be brought. From looking at the incident I can see why - barely touched him, what a pointless palarver...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...a-news-florida
Old 22 February 2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
She also said the actor has been suspended, "but if he'd said anything to the kid, asked him to let go, he'd have been fired immediately for breaking character."
Even if he said "Hey kid, you're choking Tigger, ho ho ho hooooo" in his best Tigger voice?
Old 22 February 2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Vargas View Post
Even if he said "Hey kid, you're choking Tigger, ho ho ho hooooo" in his best Tigger voice?
Yes. We are not supposed to talk in costume. At all.
Old 22 February 2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
No charges to be brought. From looking at the incident I can see why - barely touched him, what a pointless palarver...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...a-news-florida
I agree. That whole situation seemed overblown to me from what I saw in the video.