snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 08 January 2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Aren't the characters supposed to have partners without costumes with them to protect them from jerks like that? There should be a way for Tigger to immediately report the kid and get him kicked out of the park or something.
Technicall speaking, we don't have "bodyguards" anymore. They're there to engage the lines, not protect the characters. It's being strongly enforced in Disney/MGM Studios (the other parks aren't being as strict about it, at least when I was there over the summer).

And B Hamilton, is there a cite where the Tigger says that?
Old 08 January 2007, 12:09 PM

Hello Kitty

Mickey, in the reports I read, the boy says he had his hand on Tigger's back. Is it possible in the costumes you're familar with that pulling down the back may unintentionally feel like choking the wearer. I'm thinking Tigger may have felt a tug around his neck from the boy's hand on his back, thought the boy was "choking him" (if that report from B Hamilton is correct), and whacked the boy in an attempt to stop the choking.
Old 08 January 2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Mickey, in the reports I read, the boy says he had his hand on Tigger's back. Is it possible in the costumes you're familar with that pulling down the back may unintentionally feel like choking the wearer. I'm thinking Tigger may have felt a tug around his neck from the boy's hand on his back, thought the boy was "choking him" (if that report from B Hamilton is correct), and whacked the boy in an attempt to stop the choking.
It's easy to tell the difference between an accidental pull and an intentional one. And do you think feeling the difference between someone's hand on your back and someone trying to pull the zipper down is so slight that it could be easily confused?
Old 08 January 2007, 01:50 PM

You see Tigger put both his hands up to his throat and start to overbalance before he turns and "swings", so it's plausible that he felt he was being strangled.
Old 08 January 2007, 02:19 PM

FWIW, the family that "just wanted an apology" is now getting a lawyer, apparently. (I'll find the cite ASAP)
Old 08 January 2007, 02:20 PM

A good friend of ours played Tigger for a brief while before they switched him over to another costume. He said he was so happy because the Tigger costume is hard to wear. It is front heavy and awkward to move in. Plus with the tail, you have to be very careful turning.

I asked him what he thought about the video and he thinks it looks like the kid was messing with Tigger's tail and Tigger overreacted, but only because he was trapped against the curb.

But it is Disney's policy that you're NEVER to break character, so I guess Tigger shouldn't have done that, accidental or not.
Old 08 January 2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey is a gyrl View Post
It's easy to tell the difference between an accidental pull and an intentional one. And do you think feeling the difference between someone's hand on your back and someone trying to pull the zipper down is so slight that it could be easily confused?
I don't know. That's why I was asking you, because sometimes certain clothes can feel like choking (or even choke a bit) if you pull down on the back. Sometimes my son will just tug on the back of a tight sweatshirt I'm wearing and it will pull taught around the front part of my neck, feeling like choking or even choking a little if he pulls hard. But if you think it unlikely then I guess it's not.
Quote:
But it is Disney's policy that you're NEVER to break character, so I guess Tigger shouldn't have done that, accidental or not.
But bouncing is what Tiggers do best.
Old 08 January 2007, 03:43 PM

So, would this be a case of "Tiggers With Attitude," then?
Old 08 January 2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
And B Hamilton, is there a cite where the Tigger says that?
It was on the local 6 news last night: http://www.local6.com/news/10694041/detail.html

"In a statement made to the sheriff's office, Fedelem said he was acting in self-defense. He claims that the child was pulling on his costume, causing him to lose his breath, according to the Local 6 News report."
Old 08 January 2007, 05:38 PM

Disney

Quote:
Technicall speaking, we don't have "bodyguards" anymore. They're there to engage the lines, not protect the characters. It's being strongly enforced in Disney/MGM Studios (the other parks aren't being as strict about it, at least when I was there over the summer).
As a guest of the parks, I have to admit that I hate that rule. I have been a dressed character before for another venue and not having someone there to ensure that you are not assalted by guests is the worst. The guides that do stay with the characters and watch over them were highly coveted by the character actors and always asked for.

On the other hand, I have seen some of these "line-keepers" who accompany the characters and they do that job poorly, so I doubt they would be able to keep guests from assalting those they are watching over.
Old 08 January 2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
"Strongly enforced?" As in, 'you may NOT protect the characters. You MUST allow them to be harassed?' I don't get it. Why not a policy of protection?

I toured with a performing arts company and got backed into a corner a few times by eager kids insisting on autographs. It could get a little crazy, and my character was hardly as famous as Tigger, or my costume as cumbersome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hamilton View Post
"In a statement made to the sheriff's office, Fedelem said he was acting in self-defense. He claims that the child was pulling on his costume, causing him to lose his breath, according to the Local 6 News report."
Oh please, that was not a "child," minor or no. And "lose his breath" is a bit of a downplay, as well, IMO.
Old 08 January 2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara bhur gCara View Post

It looked more like "Tig, you're it, and no kingsy."

It would be remarkably enjoyable, I think, to play Pooh Sticks with the father and son. Is there a fast-flowing river in the neighbourhood?
Old 08 January 2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara bhur gCara View Post
I don't have anything to say. I just want to applaud Dara being a smart-arse.
Old 09 January 2007, 12:09 AM
Fun with a 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hamilton View Post
It was on the local 6 news last night: http://www.local6.com/news/10694041/detail.html

I heard this as well on several different newscasts down here. I'd wager the guy in the suit had this happen on more than one occasion and was just trying to get the kid off.

The kid said on the news that "He hit me hard, I can still feel it" but there's not a mark on him.
Old 09 January 2007, 03:52 AM
AniMajor

From what it seems like to me, all through the video, the kid is smiling, and at the end he seems to grasp Tigger's hand like "that was cool, thanks". Also, I don't get why the dad was videotaping this, even though it looks like everyone's posing for a picture.
Old 09 January 2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMajor View Post
From what it seems like to me, all through the video, the kid is smiling, and at the end he seems to grasp Tigger's hand like "that was cool, thanks". Also, I don't get why the dad was videotaping this, even though it looks like everyone's posing for a picture.
It's not uncommon for parents to videotape while the kids are having their picture taken.
Old 09 January 2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun with a 9mm View Post
The kid said on the news that "He hit me hard, I can still feel it" but there's not a mark on him.
Yeah, Tigger must have had his claws retracted. Did you expect maybe he'd have a big shiner?
Old 09 January 2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
FWIW, the family that "just wanted an apology" is now getting a lawyer, apparently.
Am anyone surprised? To me, it looks more like an unfortunate shove than a deliberate punch, but the way they blew it out of proportion from the beginning made it clear that they were into it for the money.
Old 09 January 2007, 07:26 AM
charlie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Aren't the characters supposed to have partners without costumes with them to protect them from jerks like that? There should be a way for Tigger to immediately report the kid and get him kicked out of the park or something.

An article I read today said that his guide had walked away for some reason. And that the kid had to get codeine pills for his "neck injury".
Old 09 January 2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie23 View Post
And that the kid had to get codeine pills for his "neck injury".
Yep, here we go. Next he'll have a neck brace and be experiencing migraines and vision problems that keep him from school.

And don't forget the emotional trauma from being thwacked by his childhood hero. Between that and the finger he found in his salad at the Tomorrowland Cafe...