snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 07 January 2007, 04:38 AM

Default Tigger punches teen

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Home video of a costumed Tigger character apparently punching a boy in the face and knocking him back at a Walt Disney World theme park has prompted an Orange County Sheriff's investigation into the incident and led to the suspension of the cast member, according to a Local 6 News report.

http://www.local6.com/news/10685989/detail.html
Old 07 January 2007, 04:43 AM

Tigger always was something of an ass, in my opinion.
Old 07 January 2007, 04:44 AM
Fiver

To me, it looks like the guy in the Tigger suit was trying to play around, and maybe misjudged where the punch was going to land. It didn't look hard at all, although it could just be a trick of the camera. I just don't see why someone would decide to puch a teenager while the kid's father taped it.
Old 07 January 2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Tigger always was something of an ass, in my opinion.
You are confusing him with Eeyore.
Old 07 January 2007, 08:13 AM
Class Bravo

I'm also thinking that it was an accident. It looks like Tigger was just moving his arm in that way and didn't mean to hit him like that--perhaps he was trying to give the teenager a hug. I think if he had really wanted to clock him, he could have landed a much better punch than that.
Old 07 January 2007, 10:37 AM

I vote fake, that's not Tigger, that's just a guy in a suit. It could just as well be a fake Bigfoot video.

Apart from that, it looks like an honest accident. It looks like he stepped back against the curb and was about to lose his balance and flung his arm up to regain his balance. I think someone is fishing for a fat settlement.
Old 07 January 2007, 12:27 PM

It's an accident. Tigger went to look at the boy and his body language was concerned after he did that. Tigger's vision isn't great. If he felt the kid start to fall, he probably turned to catch the kid, and misjudged where the kid's shoulder was.
Old 07 January 2007, 04:35 PM

I dunno - I smell a rat.

We only see a little bit of the "altercation", and I wonder if the teen didn't pinch, push or grope Tigger before Tigger reacted. I've watched as kids abuse the hell out of Disney Characters - and I wonder if this isn't just a ploy to get dollars.
Old 07 January 2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Bravo View Post
I think if he had really wanted to clock him, he could have landed a much better punch than that.
I agree. The fact that the kid classified the punch by "I could still feel it" says he wasn't exactly smarting from the blow.

I don't know whether it was an accident or not, but something is definitely strange about the whole thing.
Old 07 January 2007, 06:35 PM

I watched the video and then called my son in to watch it. The move Tigger does before he clocks the kid looks like an arm-bar (he grabs the boy's arm and sort of hugs it to his body before popping him upside the head). I've seen my son do it many, many times in his martial arts class. Aside from laughing as he watched it, my son said, "the way he's "hugging" Tigger looks like he's messing with his suit." Then he asked if the Disney suits had zippers or such that were easily reached. Of course, I don't know.

But I think the whole thing is suspicious. The way the father turns to his son and blurts- "Just how hard did he hit you?" seemed rehearsed and stilted.
Old 07 January 2007, 07:24 PM

This sue-happy attitude reminds me of how in middle school our dean told us not to touch anyone. Fair enough. Someone jokingly asked her if we were allowed to tap someone on the shoulder. Completely serious, the dean launched into a rant about how it was wrong, even with another's permission, to tap another and it was harassment. Thankfully no one was ever suspended on that charge. "Mom, I was suspended because I touched John's shoulder."
Old 07 January 2007, 08:33 PM

Now that I watched the video more carefully, the kid was definitely doing something to Tigger's back, whether it's the tail or the suit, I can't tell. But it also appears that the kid didn't immediately stop what he was trying to do (or try to pull away) when Tigger responded.

...Why hasn't anyone said anything about the kid smacking Tigger in the head?
Old 07 January 2007, 09:40 PM

Mickey, see Malruhn's post above, and Frog Feather's--both addressed the kid messing with the employee. It looks to me like he was messing with Tigger's costume, Tigger reacts, loses his balance on the curb and hits the kid. Then the kid loses his balance and flails his arm, hits Tigger in the head.

I agree with the fact that people who work at Disney take abuse from the people who are visiting the theme park. Sure hope this one goes away, just like the 'touching' incident that was dismissed. Mickey, your patience level must be amazing!

Last edited by Menolly; 07 January 2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07 January 2007, 11:01 PM

Patience, or tolerance? I just think of the cute kids I've seen earlier in the day, or the day before, and that makes it a little better...sometimes.
Old 07 January 2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey is a gyrl View Post
Patience, or tolerance? I just think of the cute kids I've seen earlier in the day, or the day before, and that makes it a little better...sometimes.

Mickey, last summer when I went to Disney World I wondered if I was posing with you when I had my picture taken with Mickey Mouse! As they say in Disney, it's a small world after all!

I'll get it...
Old 07 January 2007, 11:19 PM
Doug4.7

Fight

The visibility provided by those suits are quite limited. From talking with folks who wear them, one of the first rules is not to swing your arms or turn around fast. You can easily take out a kid without seeing them.

It's Disney, that should be worth a couple of million at least. Think how traumatized the teenager will be. All his friends will be teasing him that he got wuped by Tigger......
Old 07 January 2007, 11:57 PM

Doug, I understand what you're saying. But wouldn't someone trying to unhook the head of your costume make a reaction justified? **Mickey, how much does a Tigger costume's head weigh?** Seems to me that just one hook undone could potentially make the employee unable to see at all if the costume shifts because of it.
Old 08 January 2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menolly View Post
**Mickey, how much does a Tigger costume's head weigh?**
Depends on how new the head is. But I will say that a Tigger costume's head is front-heavy, so being hit on the head (or on the muzzle or what have you) is MUCH more uncomfortable than something that sits a bit more squarely on the head.

And while I'm giving a bit of obscure info...Tigger's gloves aren't padded. It's just the fur.
Old 08 January 2007, 03:09 AM

Tigger told police that the teen was pulling on his costume and choking him so he hit him in self-defense. So obviously it wasn't an accident.
Old 08 January 2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hamilton View Post
Tigger told police that the teen was pulling on his costume and choking him so he hit him in self-defense. So obviously it wasn't an accident.
Aren't the characters supposed to have partners without costumes with them to protect them from jerks like that? There should be a way for Tigger to immediately report the kid and get him kicked out of the park or something.