snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 14 November 2013, 04:32 PM

I first read about rashers of bacon in Look Homeward, Angel, I thought it meant large quantities of bacon. How disappointing, like ATNM, I was to find out it meant a strip of bacon.

Ali
Old 14 November 2013, 05:54 PM

we ran into this last night --
we were at Wendy's and SO ordered a Vanillia Milkshake. The server said "sorry we only have Chocolate, Caramel and Strawberry -- SO Ordered the Caramel one.
When it was placed on the tray it was just a vanilla shake with a ribbon of caramel blended into it ==

SO asked the server what she would have received if she asked for a Caramel shake -- NO caramel -- but the server just stared at her for a few seconds and said "oh we can't do that -- it HAS to have either caramel or strawberry "
Old 14 November 2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I learned to love the grilled tomatoes and British sausages, but never felt up to beans for breakfast.

But as for fast foods, eh, I'm not picky and I don't think special ordering makes that much of a difference, really.
Beans, potatoes, and cheese wrapped in a tortilla is the breakfast of champions around here. (Bacon and jalapeno never hurt it any).

I think the mushrooms in an English breakfast are grilled/broiled, aren't they?
Old 14 November 2013, 06:15 PM

When I googled recipes I saw frying and broiling mentioned.
Old 14 November 2013, 06:42 PM

Glasses

Quote:
My wife refused to let me sample haggis when we were in Scotland.
The haggis I had was nothing like I expected. It was really rich, but in the too-much-fat way. Really, it was mostly oatmeal (which I'm not that fond of). It had been sliced and fried.

I had a McDonald's hamburger and small fries for dinner last night. I thought about asking for the burger without onions or pickle, but since I was in the drive through, I decided against it (didn't want to hold things up).

Seaboe
Old 14 November 2013, 06:51 PM

One of the things that slightly annoys my husband is that I can never order anything off the menu as is. I always have to change something, there is a long list of things I will not eat.

My mom orders fries with no salt at Mcdonald's.. so if I go with her I get my fries that way as well so they're not wasting them or something. I usually add some salt but yeah normal fries from there are way salty.
Old 14 November 2013, 06:55 PM

Icon02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanting_eyes View Post
One of the things that slightly annoys my husband ....
Impossible! He never gets annoyed about anything.
Old 14 November 2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Here I had always thought that a rasher was the whole pork belly ready for slicing into strips for typical bacon use, whether it had been sliced yet or not. I was all ready to go "ZOMG" on you for eating that much bacon, but I thought to look it up. What's the point of a word like rasher, though, if it just ,means a strip or slice - we have words that cover that!

"Rasher" was what the lady called it--"Do have one or two rashers, luvs." When in Rome...
Old 14 November 2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanting_eyes View Post
My mom orders fries with no salt at Mcdonald's.. so if I go with her I get my fries that way as well so they're not wasting them or something. I usually add some salt but yeah normal fries from there are way salty.
I would hope that the cook just takes out from the basket as many unsalted fries as are needed for the salt-free order and then dumps the rest in the usual service area. I doubt they go to waste, any more than they otherwise would.

I have found that salt is one of those things where habituation is strong. I grew up having most things salted, though not as strongly as some people do. Fast food fries never seemed too salty. But as an adult, almost nothing at the house gets salted unless someone adds it at the table, as I do with a baked potato. Now I am so used to very low salt that the 'regular' salting of things that you find in restaurants seems too much for me.
Old 14 November 2013, 07:40 PM

Bacon

Quote:
"Rasher" was what the lady called it--"Do have one or two rashers, luvs." When in Rome...
And has no one warned you about making rasher decisions!?
Old 14 November 2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
When I googled recipes I saw frying and broiling mentioned.
Breakfast stuff you can fry:

Bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried bread, sausage links, square sausage, black pudding, white pudding, sliced haggis, bubble and squeak, tattie [potato] scones.

Breakfast stuff you can't fry:

Toast, baked beans.
Old 14 November 2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post

Breakfast stuff you can't fry: ... baked beans.
Yeah, but can refry them. Yummy!
Old 14 November 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Breakfast stuff you can fry:

... fried bread, ...

Breakfast stuff you can't fry:

Toast,...
OK, is there really enough of a difference between the two? Is it just that you add a bunch of fat to fry the bread? And how does it compare to heavily buttered toast from a toaster?
Old 14 November 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Fast food fries never seemed too salty.
Fast food fries in general don't seem overly salty to me. They're very salty, yes, but they're supposed to be. Only McDonald's fries seem over-salted to me (although it's been years since I've had them).
Old 14 November 2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
OK, is there really enough of a difference between the two? Is it just that you add a bunch of fat to fry the bread? And how does it compare to heavily buttered toast from a toaster?
Fried bread is simply bread that's been shallow-fried. It's a bit similar to toast in texture (that of crunchy bread) but not much like it in flavour. It's hard to describe if you've not tasted both but I'd say toast has a slight sweetness to it that makes it go well with sweet toppings like jam or marmalade, whereas fried bread has a savoury "fried" taste to it that's very different. If you cook your fried bread in the leftover bacon fat it will take on a bacon-y flavour.
Old 15 November 2013, 08:00 AM

Icon22

Hamburger Chef Jamie Oliver Proves McDonald’s Burgers “Unfit for Human Consumption”

Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has won his long-fought battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world – McDonalds. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise finally announced that it will change its recipe, and yet there was barely a peep about this in the mainstream, corporate media.

Oliver repeatedly explained to the public, over several years – in documentaries, television shows and interviews – that the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption. According to the chef and hamburger enthusiast, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry, “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Read More At http://www.getholistichealth.com/379...n-consumption/
Old 15 November 2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
I first read about rashers of bacon in Look Homeward, Angel, I thought it meant large quantities of bacon. How disappointing, like ATNM, I was to find out it meant a strip of bacon.
It seems to be a common misconception. I first noticed it with George R R Martin.

If you've read any of A Song Of Ice And Fire you'll know how much he likes describing food. There are several places where he describes banquets or somebody cooking food for a small army, and it includes large quantities of yummy ingredients and "a rasher of bacon". It always made me think, "I wonder which lucky soldier got the rasher of bacon?" He apparently thought it meant the same thing as "a side of bacon", that is, half a pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I think the mushrooms in an English breakfast are grilled/broiled, aren't they?
Usually fried. I don't think mushrooms would grill very well. To add to GaryM's list, of the things that can be fried, only the sausages and bacon can really be grilled instead. (Usually I prefer those grilled and the other bits fried). Possibly the tomatoes as well.
Old 15 November 2013, 02:37 PM

Baseball

For the record, there is not a single thing on a full English breakfast that I do not love.

Fried toast, eggs, mushrooms, sausage, bacon. Tomatoes. Black Pudding. Beans.

I love it all.

Thank goodness I no longer live in the UK or else I'd be dead of clogged arteries by now.
Old 15 November 2013, 02:47 PM

According to at least two dictionaries, a rasher of bacon can also refer to a dish of bacon consisting of more than just a single slice.
Old 15 November 2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Impossible! He never gets annoyed about anything.
Only slightly.. people could say he is downright lovable.