snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 12 November 2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
McDonald's? Food?
This form the land of lutefisk, Surströmming, and pickled everything!?
Old 12 November 2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
It's interesting that, as noted, there is much more "Get more food for less money and perhaps a bit of work" rather than making you feel like a "VIP".. Also I like how a bunch of these boil down to the (very old) tip of "ask for some kind of special order to get it fresh rather than sitting on the broiler". Not that it's a bad tip, and nothing wrong with rehashing an old favorite, just there are several that boil down to the same thing, seems odd to list them all.
When I was in college I would occasionally stop at McDs on the way home from a late night party or something. I learned then to order special requests in order to get freshly cooked food. I would always get a Quarter pounder with no cheese and it was usually fresher.
Old 12 November 2013, 02:52 PM

I have no problems eating it. I just don't see it as food.
Old 12 November 2013, 02:53 PM

I'm backing those who say making a special order to save money is not that good an idea.

I went to McD a few weeks ago and placed an order for me, my nieces and their father who is muslim.

So a relatively simple order of Sausage McMuffin, Egg McMuffin, hold the bacon and 4 hashbrowns... had some bacon in it somewhere.
Old 12 November 2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
This form the land of lutefisk, Surströmming, and pickled everything!?
Lutfisk is OK once a year on Christmas. Surströmming, once or twice. Pickled herring once or twice a week.
Old 12 November 2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
I have no problems eating it. I just don't see it as food.
I don't know what definition of food you're working from. I suppose people do sometimes eat light bulbs and paper and dirt, but how is what McDonald's serves not food, exactly?
Old 12 November 2013, 04:22 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
So a relatively simple order of Sausage McMuffin, Egg McMuffin, hold the bacon and 4 hashbrowns... had some bacon in it somewhere.
What do you mean by that? Where was the bacon?
Old 12 November 2013, 05:04 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I used to know someone who'd go to McDonald's and request French fries without salt, just so they'd have to make a new batch.
When I worked at Carl's Jr. many years ago, one of my co-workers would always place an order for French fries without salt during his meal break. It was a pain in the butt for whoever was working the fryers (usually me), because not only did that person have to make up a fresh batch of fries, but he also couldn't dump the fries into the scooping tray (which typically accumulated salt during the course of the day) and had to hand-load them into a fry container from the fryer basket using a pair of tongs.
Old 12 November 2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I used to know someone who'd go to McDonald's and request French fries without salt, just so they'd have to make a new batch.
I've done that, but it's because they way over salt their fries. Some times I just can't deal with that much salt. Meanwhile, DW puts on extra salt.
Old 12 November 2013, 06:17 PM

I've been asked if I want extra salt for McDonald's fries, and it always surprises me. I like salt, but they go often go a bit heavy on it even for me.
Old 12 November 2013, 06:48 PM

Glasses

I don't usually bother to special order at Mickey D's, but I always special order at Burger King (minus pickle). I suspect this is a hold over from young adulthood, when Burger King made such a big deal of "have it your way." During my childhood, the nearest MacDonald's was 70* miles away and I have no idea how far it was to the nearest Burger King.

*there may have been one closer, but if so, it was in a city we never visited.

Seaboe
Old 12 November 2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
What do you mean by that? Where was the bacon?
On the Egg McMuffin...

It comes with Back Bacon.
Old 12 November 2013, 06:57 PM

Glasses

Is that what Canadian Bacon is? Not that it matters whether it's bacon or ham--it's still pig.

Seaboe
Old 12 November 2013, 07:24 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
On the Egg McMuffin...

It comes with Back Bacon.
Okay I was confused by the way you worded it. So you ordered an Egg McMuffin without bacon and they ignored your request?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Is that what Canadian Bacon is? ....
Yep.
Old 12 November 2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Not that it matters whether it's bacon or ham--it's still pig.
I know I've told this story before, but this post reminded me of it again... when I was in Australia, which incidentally was exactly a year ago, one day our group had our lunch catered by some little diner in some little Outback town. The guide had to call ahead with our order, and the options were all various kinds of burgers: a plain burger with or without cheese, one loaded with a bunch or toppings including cheese and bacon among other things, and there was probably a veggie option. Two Jewish girls in the group wanted the one with all the toppings but without the cheese and bacon since those wouldn't be kosher. So when the guide called in the order he asked if they could make 2 with "no pork and no dairy". When we got there and they got their burgers they had no cheese but still had bacon on them. When they told the cook about the mistake she told them "that's not pork, it's bacon". She did remake their burgers, reluctantly.
Old 14 November 2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Okay I was confused by the way you worded it. So you ordered an Egg McMuffin without bacon and they ignored your request?

Yep.
Exactly..
I think they don't know what's in their own products unless it's in the name... like Sausage mcmuffin.
Old 14 November 2013, 03:16 PM

I don't think any of these hacks would change my way of ordering. On bacon: my wife and I discovered that in Great Britain bacon is a little different from the U.S. model. It seems to be cut from the loin rather than the pork belly and is thicker, something like Canadian bacon but with more fat. It was good, but a little different.

But in a B&B our hostess one morning told us "We have a treat for you! We have streaky bacon!" Which was, more or less, American bacon. She said it was just for us, apparently thinking we'd missed the U.S. variety. We thanked her, but I was more interested in the thick toast, scrambled-eggs-with-clotted-cream and marmalade. We did have a couple of rashers to be polite, though.

My wife refused to let me sample haggis when we were in Scotland, though I did get away with a bit of black pudding. I learned to love the grilled tomatoes and British sausages, but never felt up to beans for breakfast.

But as for fast foods, eh, I'm not picky and I don't think special ordering makes that much of a difference, really.
Old 14 November 2013, 03:35 PM

The idea of fried (I think?) mushrooms at breakfast has always intrigued me.
Old 14 November 2013, 03:44 PM

Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
We did have a couple of rashers to be polite, though.
Here I had always thought that a rasher was the whole pork belly ready for slicing into strips for typical bacon use, whether it had been sliced yet or not. I was all ready to go "ZOMG" on you for eating that much bacon, but I thought to look it up. What's the point of a word like rasher, though, if it just ,means a strip or slice - we have words that cover that!
Old 14 November 2013, 03:55 PM

It's called "dialect," isn't it? That's like asking what's the point of the word "lift" when we have a word for elevator.