snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 11 November 2013, 03:35 AM

Chef 19 Fast Food Hacks That Will Change the Way You Order

Fast food is all about convenience and affordability.

But there are ways you can make a trip to the local McDonald's or Burger King feel like a VIP experience.

From customizing your Taco Bell order to getting a cheaper "Big Mac," these tips could change your fast food orders forever.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...d-menus-2013-7
Old 11 November 2013, 04:06 AM

It's cheaper for my daughter to order the Taco Supreme (meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream) combo at Taco Bell and have them hold the tomato & lettuce than it is to order the regular Taco (meat, cheese, lettuce) combo, hold the lettuce & tomato and add sour cream.
Old 11 November 2013, 01:55 PM

it is cheaper to order a Sausage McMuffin with egg combo, hold the egg -- than it is to order a Sausage McMuffin, hash brown and drink -- because the Sausage McMufin doesn't have a "combo".

Although one manager of one McDonalds i did this at got angry and said i could not do that -- on Christmas morning of all days.

Then the guy behind me did the same thing But you save $1.20 per order!
Old 11 November 2013, 02:14 PM

Baseball

A colleague of mine used to mix into his order at McDo "Bacon cheeseburger, hold the bacon". Given that the bacon cheeseburger is $1.39, and bacon is a dollar, when his meal came his burger only cost 39 cents.

They got wise when one day he opened off with this before continuing with the rest of his meal. He isn't allowed to do that anymore.

Another one he had was at Dominos. They used to have it where if you buy a gift card, you get a free pizza (3 toppings, 12 inch). So, he'd go into Dominos, put enoughh on a gift card for two pizzas. And he'd get his free one. As the free one was cooking, he'd use his gift card to order two more.

And they had no problem with that. So, he'd get three pizzas for the price of two.
Old 11 November 2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
A colleague of mine used to mix into his order at McDo "Bacon cheeseburger, hold the bacon". Given that the bacon cheeseburger is $1.39, and bacon is a dollar, when his meal came his burger only cost 39 cents.

They got wise when one day he opened off with this before continuing with the rest of his meal. He isn't allowed to do that anymore.
I am surprised that ever worked at all - usually when you order an item and say "hold the ..." you pay full price for the item anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Another one he had was at Dominos. They used to have it where if you buy a gift card, you get a free pizza (3 toppings, 12 inch). So, he'd go into Dominos, put enough on a gift card for two pizzas. And he'd get his free one. As the free one was cooking, he'd use his gift card to order two more.

And they had no problem with that. So, he'd get three pizzas for the price of two.
I am not surprised about this. They could probably run 3 for the price of 2 constantly and still make a profit, except that then it simply becomes the general price. Still, though, since it requires taking three pizzas, it might be worth it as a regular promotion.

I have long felt retailers should sell their gift cards at a 5-10% discount, just because it gets additional customers in the door buying stuff. Even if people bought them and used them on the same day themselves, they are moving the merchandise and the store is almost always profitable allowing a 5-10% cut on prices.
Old 11 November 2013, 02:36 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I am surprised that ever worked at all - usually when you order an item and say "hold the ..." you pay full price for the item anyway.
My sister worked as a manager at McDo while going to college. When I asked her about it, she said that it all had to do with the item itself. If there is an extra charge to adding it, then there is an equal charge to take it off.

For example, pickles do not cost you more to add, or save you to remove. However, bacon, it will cost you to add some bacon, and it will save you to have it taken off.

But now, in Fredericton, you try to do that, they charge you for a cheeseburger.
Old 11 November 2013, 02:47 PM

Now I want to try this, even without really wanting a McDonald's cheeseburger.
Old 11 November 2013, 02:53 PM

Glasses

What I find interesting about this is how many of these are about getting more food for less money, not so much personalizing the food you do get.

You can also order the Beef 'n' Cheese at Arby's on a regular (i.e., non onion) bun.

Although, I don't go to Arby's much anymore since they took my favorite sandwich off the menu (I really liked the chicken Cordon Bleu).

Seaboe
Old 11 November 2013, 02:58 PM

A ploy I have done before: Ruby Tuesday's salad bar is an ample meal. By itself it costs about $8. But it is only $3 if added to a number of entrees. You can order a $7-9 burger and fries, add the salad for $3, and take your burger to go for another meal. Several of their entrees have the salad bar included, but if you are going to have the entree to go, you want to make sure you have one that carries well.
Old 11 November 2013, 03:01 PM

For awhile, McDonald's had their cheeseburgers cheaper than the hamburgers. At the one I usually went to, it got to the point where the cashier would automatically ring up a cheeseburger without cheese when someone asked for a hamburger.
Old 11 November 2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
It's cheaper for my daughter to order the Taco Supreme (meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream) combo at Taco Bell and have them hold the tomato & lettuce than it is to order the regular Taco (meat, cheese, lettuce) combo, hold the lettuce & tomato and add sour cream.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing, so I do mine that way, too.
Old 11 November 2013, 11:41 PM

I always get my burgers with no tomato, no ketchup, and it seems like about half the time they can get this right, so I believe that most of these requests would be a little too hard to handle for the fast food workers I meet. I'm not saying they're dumb, just severely undermotivated.
Old 11 November 2013, 11:55 PM

It's interesting that, as noted, there is much more "Get more food for less money and perhaps a bit of work" rather than making you feel like a "VIP".. Also I like how a bunch of these boil down to the (very old) tip of "ask for some kind of special order to get it fresh rather than sitting on the broiler". Not that it's a bad tip, and nothing wrong with rehashing an old favorite, just there are several that boil down to the same thing, seems odd to list them all.
Old 12 November 2013, 12:58 AM

Canada

Back when I used to drink Cafe Mochas at Tim Hortons, I learned to ask for a "half-coffee, half-hot chocolate," so they would charge me for a coffee instead of a Cafe Mocha. The only difference was that the Cafe Mocha had whipped cream on top (which I wasn't too fussed about having in the morning anyway), but the price difference was quite substantial. I don't recall exactly, but they were charging something like an extra $0.75 just for that whipped cream. Made it worth the mouthful of an order.
Old 12 November 2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Although, I don't go to Arby's much anymore since they took my favorite sandwich off the menu (I really liked the chicken Cordon Bleu).

Seaboe
You can still get it. Most places, I've found, will still give you the off menu thing as long as they still stock the ingredients for some other item. I almost always order the chicken cordon bleu, add bacon. None of them have ever even twitched when I ordered it, even as recently as 2 weeks ago.
Old 12 November 2013, 07:05 AM

Jaded

Quote:
From customizing your Taco Bell order to getting a cheaper "Big Mac," these tips could change your fast food orders forever.
Given how frequently fast food outlets manage to screw up special orders, I'm not about to start requesting them just to save a small amount of money.
Old 12 November 2013, 07:29 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I always get my burgers with no tomato, no ketchup, and it seems like about half the time they can get this right, so I believe that most of these requests would be a little too hard to handle for the fast food workers I meet. I'm not saying they're dumb, just severely undermotivated.
It's partially habit. When I worked at Taco Bell when an item would come down the line to be made without a basic ingredient you sometimes put it on automatically. Then the steamer would have to remake it and if it was a bad day and you made the error several times he'd tell you to stand back and he'd make it himself.
Old 12 November 2013, 08:47 AM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
What I find interesting about this is how many of these are about getting more food for less money, not so much personalizing the food you do get.
McDonald's? Food?
Old 12 November 2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
It's interesting that, as noted, there is much more "Get more food for less money and perhaps a bit of work" rather than making you feel like a "VIP".. Also I like how a bunch of these boil down to the (very old) tip of "ask for some kind of special order to get it fresh rather than sitting on the broiler". Not that it's a bad tip, and nothing wrong with rehashing an old favorite, just there are several that boil down to the same thing, seems odd to list them all.
I used to know someone who'd go to McDonald's and request French fries without salt, just so they'd have to make a new batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Given how frequently fast food outlets manage to screw up special orders, I'm not about to start requesting them just to save a small amount of money.
I'm with that.

I'm not paying $100 for a meal from a world-class chef, so I don't make special orders. I'm not going to inconvenience the employees and maybe hold up the line for myself and others.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 12 November 2013, 02:22 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
McDonald's? Food?
Yes. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't food.

Seaboe