snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 04 September 2013, 07:12 PM

You can also buy or make hummus with vegetables blended into it.
Old 04 September 2013, 07:34 PM

We didn't eat squash until one day I got some and made it like this:

Slice it VERY thin like you are making potato chips. The thickness of the squash gets me every time. I hate boiled squash, so take your thin squash, heat up a skillet with butter, say 2 tbs? Enough to touch all the squash. At medium heat, let them cook, turn them over often. When they start to get brown on the outside and you can almost see through them, they are done. Add salt and pepper to taste and you have the best squash you have ever eaten.

Yellow squash is the usual, but I have cooked some white squash the same way.

ETA: Most vegetables can be cooked easily. If you like them fresh and not in something, try them singly. Pan roasted or fried, oven grilled, etc. It's possible to overcook them, and you'll know when that happens. Steaming is a good move. The little broccoli and stuff dishes you see are much better steamed until they just start to soften.

Last edited by hambubba; 04 September 2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: ETA: more notes
Old 04 September 2013, 07:37 PM

I never liked summer squash, like zucchini, until I tried it roasted. I've since tried roasting other vegetables I previously hadn't like, with good results. And roasting's very easy.
Old 04 September 2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
I'm just out of ideas, the most I usually do is stir-fry some zucchini with lemon butter-- eaten over pasta so not that healthy,
A lasagna can be made with thinly sliced zucchini instead of noodles.
Old 05 September 2013, 12:48 AM

Zucchini latkes. They taste just like potato latkes to me, but you can start by substituting a bit of zucchini for the potato and work your way up.

shredded potato
shredded zucchini
eggs
chopped onion (or not)
a bit of milk
a bit of flour
salt and pepper

fry in frying pan

Also, one 10 ounce packet of chopped spinach and 2 eggs per person. Saute spinach in frying pan, mix eggs with a bit of milk. Stir into spinach. Add some cheese if you want, cover and cook until eggs are cooked through.

I throw in a shredded carrot when I make tuna salad or tuna macaroni salad, plus onion, celery, pickles, and sometimes a few radishes.

Soup: Mixed vegetables, chopped cabbage, potaotes, a bit of ground beef. Eat with corn bread.

Fresh baby spinach, maybe with arugula. Slice goat cheese into rounds, press into ground pecans mixed with bread crumbs and bake until sizzling. Serve over the greens with a raspberry vinagrette. Dice beets over the top. Very good with crunchy bread.

Add pumpkin to things like brownies.

Here's a recipe for that lasagne DaGuyWitBluGlasses mentioned
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-nood...chini-lasagna/

I like it better with white sauce and no tomatoes.

Mini pizzas made from English muffins with mushrooms and other veggie toppings.
Old 05 September 2013, 12:53 AM

Spinach makes a great salad base. If you don't like any of the conventional salad veggies, try fruit and maybe some cheese.
Old 06 September 2013, 03:28 PM

It's not exactly health food, but if you are going to make dessert anyway, try black bean brownies. Open a 15-oz. can of black beans, drain and rinse. rinse out the can and put the beans back in, then fill the can with water. Puree in a food processer. Add to your favorite boxed brownie mix in place of oil and eggs and bake according to package directions. They usually turn out darker than regular brownies, but most people won't even notice theirs anything unusual about them.
Old 06 September 2013, 04:43 PM

I am diabetic and must limit the amount of pasta I eat. Instead of spaghetti I use a Mandoline to create Zucchini that is the shape of spaghetti, boil it briefly, and put my sauce on it.

dewey
Old 06 September 2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
I have had butternut squash roasted with honey before and it wasn't bad, not my favorite but I didn't hate it either. I think I'll try out some pumpkin/squash recipes this fall. I mean besides the apple pumpkin bread I usually make, which is delicious but uses tons of butter and is not in any way healthy. I tried spaghetti squash once but the texture was horrible.
I love sweet potato, butternut squash etc cut into chunks or wedges and roasted, having sprinkled them with a bit of oil and some Cajun seasoning.
Old 08 September 2013, 05:11 AM

/hijack/

Rather irrational, but mandoline slicers scare the crap out of me.
Old 09 September 2013, 02:40 PM

Glasses

Well, the hand ones can be dangerous. The automated ones are safer, provided you use all the safety features they come with.

Seaboe
Old 09 September 2013, 02:45 PM

I have cut myself many times, sometimes badly, on kitchen knives, metal graters like this one, utility knives, and scissors (which I was using not just clumsily but inappropriately). I have never cut myself on a mandoline slicer -- perhaps because I don't mind leaving a "stub" of what I'm slicing. It doesn't go to waste, usually -- the things I slice with a mandoline are things I don't mind eating a bit of raw.
Old 09 September 2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrasda View Post
/hijack/

Rather irrational, but mandoline slicers scare the crap out of me.
Not at all irrational. I purchased a protective glove to wear when using it. I find that the safety holder does not work well with zucchinis and so I hold them in a gloved hand.

dewey
Old 09 September 2013, 05:53 PM

Hey Xia!
Have you found any of the suggestions useful? If you let us know which we might be able to come up with more on the same lines.
I think my own veg intake is about maxed out, we added up that we had about 15-16 different ones this weekend. Not big helpings of all of them, but we had:
Mini-corn
Mange Tout
spring onion
red onion
oyster mushroom
some other kind of Chinese mushroom I don't know the name of
bell pepper
carrot
chickpeas
pickled cucumbers
figs (they were in a savoury dish so I'm counting them as veg!)
garlic
two varieties of pak choi
tomatoes
aubergine
broccoli
cauliflower
peas
Old 09 September 2013, 08:51 PM

I've been out of town for about 2 weeks so I haven't had a chance to try much of the ideas yet. I did try an interesting type of mushroom that I didn't mind the taste of-- or maybe it was the way it was served. It was beef negimaki with enoki mushrooms and green onions. I'm not sure how they cooked the mushrooms but they were brown, not white like the photos I'm finding of that type online. I'm planning to buy some squash this week and try some of the ideas here.
The zucchini latkes sound yummy and I want to try using zucchini in place of spaghetti too. I wish my mandoline could make cross cuts, that would make that easier but I just have a cheap one. Zucchini is almost the only thing I use the mandoline for regularly, and I've never cut myself. Zucchini has that sort of built in "handle" on the stalk end. I don't even use the cut guard.
Old 09 September 2013, 09:03 PM

Cauliflower rice?
Old 13 September 2013, 11:07 PM

Ok I bought some acorn squash and a spaghetti squash. Any suggestions on cooking? I've had acorn squash before, my parents roasted it cut n half with honey and butter I think.
I tried spaghetti squash once but I didn't cook it properly or it was unripe or something. It was all crunchy no matter what I did.
Old 14 September 2013, 12:53 AM

Spaghetti squash is actually quite easy. Cut it in half lengthwise, and put it cut side down in a pan with an inch of water. Microwave it for about 5 minutes on high. Shred with a fork. Viola! Instant veggie-noodles. There are lots of ways to flavor them, but I like putting in some butter, salt, pepper, and a little Parmesan cheese. Generally treat them like pasta.

I usually bake acorn squash. Cut it in half lengthwise, then roast it cut side up on a baking sheet at 400 degrees until it can easily be penetrated with a fork. Then add your honey and butter.
Old 14 September 2013, 04:05 AM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Cauliflower rice?
Chloe, I'm sorry, but I don't get this. Are you making a recommendation, or asking for an explanation? If the former, what is cauliflower rice?

Seaboe