snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 25 June 2013, 10:46 PM

Continuing the Lucus/British car hijack, when I was in the Boy Scouts our Assistant Scoutmaster had an old Triumph Spitfire. I recall him saying something about how the entire car only had three fuses, and when one of them blew (which I'm sure they fequently did, I mean it was a British car after all! ) you would lose a bunch of random, unrelated items, like say the windshield wipers, the radio, and one taillight. I imagine that must make tracking down a short circuit quite interesting!
Old 25 June 2013, 11:26 PM

Driver

Thanks for those explanations! Before I started Googling for info I assumed it was a reference to Indiana Jones surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerator.

Brian
Old 25 June 2013, 11:44 PM

Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I don't know for sure whether it's strictly the taste or also partly the texture, but I can definitely tell those eggs from supermarket eggs in a blind test.
Yes, store-bought eggs tend to differ texturally/visually from fresh non-farmed eggs, primarily (I think) because store-bought eggs have usually been stored and refrigerated for a considerable period of time before reaching the end consumer.

However, my point is that -- just as in the example of wine offered in the OP -- I question whether many people could actually discern a difference in taste between the two types of eggs in the absence of visual clues altering them that they "should" find one of them to be superior to the other.
Old 26 June 2013, 02:25 AM

I also recall an episode of Penn & Teller's B.S. that had a taste test for organic and non-organic foods. One of the test they cut a banana in half and put each half under one of the two signs. Several people (we do not know people got it right) though the banana half under the organic sign tasted much better than the under the non-organic sign, though they were the same banana.

Every couple of weeks my receives a flat of farm eggs from her boss. So I switch between store bought and farm eggs quite often. I have not notice much difference in taste, though looks and yoke, and white texture is quite different.
Old 26 June 2013, 04:21 AM

My favorite Lucas Electric joke is that a Lucas Electric light has three settings - off, dim, and flicker. Their stuff was truly abysmal and was still used in Jaguar and Aston Martin vehicles into the early 90's. It made for some truly embarassing faults - faults which were unforgivable in a $30,000 vehicle - absolutely ludicrous in a $300,000 vehicle. A vehicle like that was definitely the sum of its parts, and using Lucas Electric made it even less than the sum of its parts.
Old 26 June 2013, 02:10 PM

I would like to remind you that the three positions of a Lucas switch are smoke, smoulder and burn.

This reminds me of when I toured a car museum in England (I'm not sure which one though). I swear it was set up in part as a joke. It had a exhibit which was just a frame, engine and drive train with a drip pan and the lighting fixture over the Lucas exhibit was out.

ETA: As Tow-Mater says, "If there ain't no oil under 'em, there ain't no oil in 'em."
Old 26 June 2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
My favorite Lucas Electric joke is that a Lucas Electric light has three settings - off, dim, and flicker.
This morning I turned on my dining room light only to have the switch make poor contact making the light flicker. I immediately thought of this thread and said to myself "Ah, must be a Lucas light switch!"
Old 26 June 2013, 10:32 PM

Back to the original topic: I recall that the Monty Python group wrote a sketch that John Cleese despised. It involved a connoisseur of wine, an oenophile, if you will (well, I'm impressed), who samples a great many wines and identifies them:

Oenophile: (Tastes) Ah, yes, this is a Montrachet 1978, made from grapes raised on the southern slopes of hills no more than three meters tall, the grapes trodden by virgins and the wine then aged in oak barrels crafted from Lithuanian trees.

Wine waiter: No, sir, that is wee-wee.

Oenophile: Oh, of course, should have known. (Tastes) Now this one--this is a dam' fine Royal DeMaria, an exquisite ice wine with an eloquent bouquet and interesting body.

Wine waiter: No, no, I'm afraid that is also wee-wee.

Oenophile: Not scoring well today, I'm afraid. (Tastes)....

....and so on. Cleese's disapproval of the material matched that of the BBC, and the sketch was never aired.
Old 26 June 2013, 11:33 PM

I'm curious - over here, there's the beginnings of a huge backlash against battery farmed eggs, people making the switch to buying free range eggs not for the taste/quality, but solely on the basis of chicken welfare.

Is it just us?
Old 26 June 2013, 11:53 PM

marrya, there's some of that here, but I wouldn't call it "huge". I know a number of people (myself included) who avoid cage-raised eggs at least in part for that reason, but judging by the relative prevalence of eggs for sale most people aren't concerned about the issue.
Old 28 June 2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I think my favorite example of this is the episode of Penn & Teller's B.S. where they have the guy go around with upscale restaurant with a try of fancy bottles of water, priced up to 7 dollars a bottle, with flowery descriptions. Person ever person gushed over how this water tasted so fresh and this water tasted so crisp and so forth.

Cut out back of the restaurant where all the water bottles are being filled from the same garden hose.

Some of this might depend on how much chlorine and/or other chemicals are put in the water. We are on Navy Jax right now and the water here has a different taste than the distilled water I drink at home.
Old 28 June 2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
Some of this might depend on how much chlorine and/or other chemicals are put in the water. We are on Navy Jax right now and the water here has a different taste than the distilled water I drink at home.
No you don't follow these were people giving various descriptions to various bottles of water that were all being filled from the same source. This wasn't one person at one table said the water tasted "crisp" and another person at another table said it tasted "fresh" and so forth, this is the same person tasting the same water over and over and giving a different opinion of it each time and this process being repeated with multiple people.

They did something similar in another episode with food, giving people things like re-hydrated potato flakes and the meat entree out of a budget TV dinner but fancying it up with flowery language, calling them "Hydroponic Heirloom Potatoes" and "Grass Fed Kobe Beef." and lead to similar results, with the diners gushing over the food and describing the complex flavors they could detect. The apex of this was them serving a scoop of store brand whipped topping in a fancy crystal glass, claiming it was a "Belgium White Chocolate Mousse whipped 150 strokes." which actually lead to the line from one of the diners praising it as "Oh this is not your average Cool Whip" to which Penn replied "You're right. It's a 59 cent Cool Whip knockoff."

Now let me be clear I am not suggesting that there is no such thing as quality or any one item being "better" then another, just that honestly I think we hit the point of diminishing returns a lot quicker then we think.

Very generally, rule of thumb, plenty of exceptions on both sides I've sorta think that point tends to be around the point where you make the jump from "quality" to "luxury."

And I think there's a huge mental factor to it as well. I noticed the guy tasting the whipped topping was really taking his tame, savoring each spoonful, even cleansing his pallet between servings. He was in a gorgeous restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere and good chamber music, he had gotten dressed up and went out with friends and was obviously making an event or even ritual out of it. I doubt that's a total non-factor in how much he was enjoying the food.

Seriously that would be an interesting thing to do. Take some of your cheap everyday comfort foods and really go at them like you're at wine or cheese tasting. I mean sure it would be silly to cleanse your pallet between Cool Ranch Doritos or every forkful of Kraft Mac & Cheese... or would it really? It's an interesting idea if nothing else.
Old 28 June 2013, 02:19 AM

Joe - over a decade ago one of my exes constantly complained to me that I eat too much and too quickly, because I do not *savour* my food. I think there was something to this - I tend to eat more when alone, and it's only in a restaurant with a large group of people that I notice that I eat slowly. (Mostly because I'm talking and not eating.) So what you say makes sense - taking the time and energy to *enjoy* the food - and not simply eat out of necessity - will make even the mundane seem special.
Old 28 June 2013, 02:25 AM

SO and I are members of a tasting panel for a Chinese Buffet chain that is popular around here.

Every 3 months they bring in about 250 of us to a restaurant where we are served two variations of 5 dishes that may already be on the menu, or they are planning on putting on the menu.

the last time around we had to re-taste a dish from the first round, as during the first round they were mislabeled with all tables just getting two samples from the same group (option A or option B) instead of one sample from each group.

apparently 80% of folks commented that there was no difference between the two samples which is how they determined the mix up.

thank DOYC that it was Creme Brule desserts and not the beet salad
Old 28 June 2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Back to the original topic: I recall that the Monty Python group wrote a sketch that John Cleese despised.

[...]

Cleese's disapproval of the material matched that of the BBC, and the sketch was never aired.
What was so wrong with it?
Old 28 June 2013, 02:43 AM

Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrya View Post
over here, there's the beginnings of a huge backlash against battery farmed eggs, people making the switch to buying free range eggs not for the taste/quality, but solely on the basis of chicken welfare.
Hah, my chickens eat better than I do. Of course, they also have a much greater affinity for uncooked vegetables than I do.
Old 28 June 2013, 02:46 AM

TV

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD24217250E7ED8EB

Quote:
Three sketches from Episode 36, "E. Henry Thripshaw's Disease"

Notes: The three sketches in question, "Revolting Cocktails," "Big Nosed Sculptor," and "Wee-Wee Wine Cellar," were cut out of the episode, partly on account of John Cleese's beliefs that the sketches were utterly tasteless and pointless, which is basically what Monty Python was always going for anyway. "Wee-Wee Wine Cellar" is the most well-known of these sketches, but it is unknown if any were ever filmed at all. However, Graham Chapman's domestic partner, David Sherlock, stated that he knew that "Wee-Wee Wine Cellar" was filmed.
Old 28 June 2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrya View Post
I'm curious - over here, there's the beginnings of a huge backlash against battery farmed eggs, people making the switch to buying free range eggs not for the taste/quality, but solely on the basis of chicken welfare.

Is it just us?
Battery egg farming is banned across the EU.
Old 28 June 2013, 05:00 PM

That is a factor in my egg selection (not that I buy eggs often). I either get them at the farmer's market or buy the ones labeled as being from cage-free and vegetarian-fed hens.
Old 28 June 2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
That is a factor in my egg selection (not that I buy eggs often). I either get them at the farmer's market or buy the ones labeled as being from cage-free and vegetarian-fed hens.
I see lots of places selling eggs from vegetarian-fed hens, but as someone who has chickens, I would prefer the eggs NOT be from vegetarian-fed hens. That would mean the chickens were not allowed to roam around, since when they do roam they eat all the bugs they can (as well as mice and other small critters, if they can catch them.) Of does that not count as a violation of the vegetarianism, since the chickens are not FED the insects and animals, they just catch them on their own?

marrya, some states are ordering that battery farms be phased out. In Ohio, the animal rights groups and farmers developed the legislation together, I believe, since the farmers just can't find a way to do the battery farms in a way that is economical without being just cruel. Link