snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 22 June 2013, 06:03 PM

Default Man orders tie from Gap, gets employees SS#s and tax records instead

Yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/mass-man-order...171111591.html

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — With a little more than two weeks to go before their wedding, Emily Dreyfuss' fiance ordered a tie and pocket square from Gap chain Banana Republic's website to go with his Navy blue suit.

What the couple got in the mail instead on Thursday would make an identity thief giddy: the confidential files of about 20 former employees, including Social Security numbers and W4 tax forms.
Old 22 June 2013, 06:37 PM

A bank once returned to me, instead of a check I'd sent them, a money order someone else had sent to them several months before, and the cover letter sent with it. I didn't trust the bank to get things right if I sent it back to them (there was a reason I'd asked for my check back), so I called the lawyer who'd written the cover letter, told her how I'd come to have the letter and MO, and that I'd be Fed Exing it to her (at the bank's expense, since I happened to have their FedEX account number). Turned out they'd been telling her all that time that they'd never received the MO, and of course the attorney's poor schlub of a client was out that cash.
Old 22 June 2013, 08:15 PM

Jaded

Quote:
In her statement, [spokeswoman Edie] Kissko said the company takes the confidentiality of personal information very seriously.
Why even bother printing statements like that? Has any company, ever, said something like: "Frankly, we think personal privacy is overrated, and we prefer to focus our efforts on more important aspects of our business"?
Old 23 June 2013, 02:42 AM

//Slight hijack//

It is bothering anybody that the guy has zero identity in the article and exists solely as the woman's fiance despite his being as big a part of the events as she is?

Maybe it's just weird wording or something.
Old 23 June 2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Why even bother printing statements like that? Has any company, ever, said something like: "Frankly, we think personal privacy is overrated, and we prefer to focus our efforts on more important aspects of our business"?
My guess it's just instinct and something their lawyers advise that they do no matter what. It also might just be PR to turn a bad situation around. My guess they see it as "people expect it, and it doesn't harm us to release the statement" kind of thing.
Old 23 June 2013, 03:32 AM

Reporter

My question isn't why companies bother issuing statements like that (the reason is obvious), but why the press slavishly quotes them.
Old 23 June 2013, 04:10 AM
Barbara

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
It is bothering anybody that the guy has zero identity in the article and exists solely as the woman's fiance despite his being as big a part of the events as she is?
Oh, please - he's just the groom.
Old 23 June 2013, 04:11 AM
Barbara

Whalephant

Quote:
My question isn't why companies bother issuing statements like that (the reason is obvious), but why the press slavishly quotes them.
Because that's come to be the standard for "fair and balanced" reporting.
Old 23 June 2013, 04:50 AM

Ponder

Quote:
I get the impression that the only reason this made the news was because she works for CNET; otherwise, her fiancé would have quietly contacted the company and returned the material without running to the press and tweeting about it first.
Old 23 June 2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
//Slight hijack//

Maybe it's just weird wording or something.
//continuing the slight hijack//
Don't we have a thread on Bridezillas?

It has indeed bothered me for decades that weddings revolve around the bride. The groom needs to simply show up in appropriately-themed duds (theme chosen by the bridezilla, of course) while everyone oohs and aahs about how lovely she looks.

This news article may or may not be following this social custom, however. It may just be that she was interviewed for the article and the reporter didn't manage to get her fiance's name, or didn't get his permission to post it, or something like that.

But I hear you. I'm female. I've been married twice (this one's a keeper!). And I have always been bothered by the social custom that a wedding ceremony and the trappings around it are all about the bride. Maybe the beginnings of acceptance for same-sex marriages that we are seeing in the western world will eventually shift the social perspective that it takes (at least) two people to go through the ceremony and/or formalities of getting married.
//end of the slight hijack//
Old 23 June 2013, 09:12 AM

I don't understand why the fulfilment department responsible for sending out ties would be anywhere near the people with access to employee records.

I guess if their fulfilment system allocates stock from the nearest store, rather than a central location, then it might have been somebody in a store which doesn't deal with many orders, and so they packed it up individually and put it down next to some other post that was meant to go out, and then somehow ended up sticking the label on the wrong package. There has to be something wrong with the system for this even to be possible, though.
Old 23 June 2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Because that's come to be the standard for "fair and balanced" reporting.
The press probably doesn't want to look like they never addressed the privacy issue if they omitted it. They figure that it makes it look like they did more work even if they didn't.
Old 25 July 2013, 09:37 PM

The person who received the tie and pocket square was probably a bit surprised too.
Old 26 July 2013, 05:05 PM

From the article:

Quote:
Inside were three folders sealed with tape and labeled "HR Administration." They contained tax and Social Security information as well as handwritten resignation letters, doctors' notes and salary information — seemingly the employees' entire record at the company. The employees were sales support associates and at least one made $9 an hour, Dreyfuss said.
The resignation letters were mostly from March. They were polite and positive, expressing thanks for the chance to work for the company.

Wait, she read enough pages in enough detail to glean all of this information?

Quote:
Dreyfuss, who runs the home page and also writes for technology website CNET said she didn't look through everything.

"I got a queasy feeling and felt like I should stop looking at this," she said.

Oh, I see you thought of that too.