snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 18 January 2013, 08:24 PM

Roll eyes Photos of man with rifle in Utah store go viral

Hours after President Barack Obama called on Congress to ban assault weapons, one man's protest raised some eyebrows at a Utah store.

An Ogden woman snapped a few photos of a man standing inside a J.C. Penney with a big gun slung over his shoulder.

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article...al-4206008.php
Old 18 January 2013, 08:28 PM

Jaded

Quote:
The man says he wanted to demonstrate that the weapons arenít dangerous when handled by law-abiding citizens.
Obviously. Since there are laws against using firearms dangerously, the minute you do so you cease to be law-abiding.
Old 18 January 2013, 08:31 PM

There are ways to handle a firearm dangerously that do not violate the laws though. For example, (AFAIK) there is no law against walking through the woods behind your buddy with your finger on the trigger of a loaded rifle. But doing so is quite dangerous.
Old 18 January 2013, 08:32 PM

Shades of facebook arguments:

"We've got to keep guns out of the hands of criminals!"
"But Adam Lanza wasn't a criminal."
"He was a criminal the moment he took his mother's guns without permission. We've got to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, not target law-abiding people."

From people who should know better, too. Feh.
Old 18 January 2013, 08:34 PM

I think openly carrying an assault rifle could be dangerous, even if it is unloaded. Suppose someone else armed sees you? There is no good reason to go shopping with that kind of weaponry. I know he says he notified the police, but the police aren't the only people who might be alarmed. (Also, I would hope the police wouldn't just shrug and say, "oh, all right, then," in case he was, say, lying about it.)
Old 18 January 2013, 08:35 PM

No

Quote:
He said he received positive reactions from people who spotted him.
Well, sure - I'd probably keep my negative reactions to myself if I saw someone walking around with an assault rifle.

I'm sure that's totally lost on him, though.
Old 18 January 2013, 08:38 PM

A pair of men had done this in Portland last week also. http://www.kgw.com/news/Protesters-w...186238111.html
Old 18 January 2013, 08:46 PM

I hope more people do this, I really do. They did it in California, you know.

It worked out really well for them.

I mean, this idiot is as counter-productive to his cause as he could possibly be.

And, I'm starting to wonder about my current state of residence....
Old 18 January 2013, 08:54 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
There are ways to handle a firearm dangerously that do not violate the laws though.
"Using" and "handling" are two different things.

It should be rather obvious to everyone that the mere handling of the unloaded AR-15 he was carrying is unlikely to pose a danger to anyone, unless he were to start using it as a club. I doubt that's a real fear in anyone's mind.
Old 18 January 2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I think openly carrying an assault rifle could be dangerous, even if it is unloaded. Suppose someone else armed sees you? There is no good reason to go shopping with that kind of weaponry. I know he says he notified the police, but the police aren't the only people who might be alarmed. (Also, I would hope the police wouldn't just shrug and say, "oh, all right, then," in case he was, say, lying about it.)
Or one of the "well armed citizens" we are told will keep us safer, sees him as a threat.
Old 18 January 2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
It should be rather obvious to everyone that the mere handling of the unloaded AR-15 he was carrying is unlikely to pose a danger to anyone, unless he were to start using it as a club. I doubt that's a real fear in anyone's mind.
I don't think that I'd be able to tell the difference between a loaded and an unloaded firearm, though. I don't know if some people would or not, either. Couldn't that cause some sort of panic?
Old 18 January 2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
"Using" and "handling" are two different things.
Which is why it was unfair for you to argue against a claim he never made.

Quote:
I'm not sure how many people are going to recognize that his rifle is unloaded. Even if they know that an AR-15 has a seperate magazine well (so the magazine isn't hidden in the butt), how many know that the protrubance in front of the trigger is not the magazine itself? For example, look at this image of an AR-15 with a 10 round magazine. See how little magazine is showing?

ETA: In case I suddenly find my account "buggy" () I hope everyone has a good year!
Old 18 January 2013, 09:16 PM

Maybe 20 years ago a man walked into a sporting goods store in Canada and asked to see a shotgun more closely. He was handed the weapon - without a trigger lock - whereupon he pulled a shell from his pocket, loaded the weapon, and committed suicide by blowing his head off.

It may not be a likely scenario, but carrying bullets and magazines (for the kind of unloaded weapons people are likely to be carrying) in order to steal them, is something that these "open carry" advocates will protect against. The guy in the OP was also carrying a loaded pistol.

FWIW, "open carry", even when legal, has long been discouraged and even prosecuted as "disturbing the peace". People get nervous when they see weapons being carried around. And even his "safe" manner of carrying it can change and be a clever ruse for a criminal. I doubt that the reaction to this will be "aw shucks, and he looked so friendly and law-abiding before he opened fire"...

ETA: Even without a magazine there could be one round chambered. Pity the poor person who has to bet on that being true when a real idiot (or just a careless individual) prepares their gun for this "demonstration".

Last edited by Hero_Mike; 18 January 2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Because magazines aren't necessarily loaded.
Old 18 January 2013, 09:16 PM

I can't see the magazine. I don't know what I'm looking for, though.
Old 18 January 2013, 09:19 PM

Forward of the trigger and handgrip (up and to the right in the image) is a solid black piece. Below that is a silvery piece with three indentations/lines on it. The silvery bit is the magazine.
Old 18 January 2013, 09:25 PM

Okay, thanks! That is completely different from where I thought it would be, but also makes gun designs make a little more sense to me, now.

I always wondered what the protruding part on AK-47s were.

(I thought maybe it was to protect one's hand from getting shot.)
Old 18 January 2013, 09:46 PM

Wonder how they would feel if it was a dude in a black panthers getup walking around with a gun?

Their signature icon of a guy walking around with a gun in hand came about when somebody realized that Oakland's laws stated that you could carry a gun in public so long as it wasn't concealed.
Old 18 January 2013, 10:31 PM

I'm disappointed no one shot him. Or at least tased him. Clearly his area isn't prepared for a mad gunman. Are we just supposed to wait for the highly suspicious gun toting man to open fire before neutralizing the threat?
Old 18 January 2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
The first thing that was drilled into me when I was taught to handle firearms was that you always treat every gun like it's loaded, 100% of the time and you never assumed that a gun wasn't dangerous even if it was unloaded. Carrying a rifle over your shoulder on a sling was also considered to be risky since you had relatively little control over the direction that the barrel was facing.
Old 18 January 2013, 10:44 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
Wonder how they would feel if it was a dude in a black panthers getup walking around with a gun?....
Since the black panthers haven't been around in 30 years, there is a good chance he wouldn't be recognized as a black panther. And if they did recognize him they might think he was in a costume.