snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11 January 2013, 01:17 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
United States Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard

President Barack Obama has signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/o...-politics.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11 January 2013, 01:39 AM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,779
Default

Cue manufactured outrage from people who won't read past the headline in 10... 9... 8...

(Actually, at least the headline writer had the decency to put Bush in there. Snopes, I wonder how many emails you'll be getting in the next couple weeks along the lines of, "I heard that Obama just passed a law giving himself Secret Service protection for life. Is that true?")
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:06 AM
Avril's Avatar
Avril Avril is offline
 
Join Date: 07 August 2002
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 10,547
Default

Was the idea that only presidents elected after the law wouldn't have Secret Service protection? That part confused me. We have other former presidents.

I see no reason for outrage about this one. If anyone finds any I would love to see it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:19 AM
Morgaine's Avatar
Morgaine Morgaine is offline
 
Join Date: 23 February 2002
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 12,300
Default

IIRC, before the previous law, Presidents got SS protection for life. With the law, after Clinton they would get it for 10 years & then after that they would be on their own. This new law undoes that & reverts to the previous law of protection for life.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:21 AM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
We have other former presidents.
Ford, Carter, Bush Sr, and Clinton already have Lifetime protection under Public Law 89-186. The former ten year limit only applied to Presidents elected after 1997 so only the second Bush actually currently falls under the new policy... and he was President less then 10 years ago so therefore is still under his 10 year protection under the old policy until 2017/2018 anyway

So if I'm understanding this correctly this is changing a policy that never actually got a chance to take place because it went from lifetime protection in 1965 to 10 year protection in 1997 but is now going back to lifetime protection in 2013.

http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml#faq9
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:31 AM
chillas's Avatar
chillas chillas is offline
 
Join Date: 09 September 2002
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,837
Default

Joe, my understanding matches yours. I honestly hadn't even realized that the law removing lifetime protection had been passed.

Frankly, I think it's a reasonable measure.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:36 AM
Dr. Dave Dr. Dave is offline
 
Join Date: 28 June 2005
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 5,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Cue manufactured outrage from people who won't read past the headline in 10... 9... 8...

(Actually, at least the headline writer had the decency to put Bush in there. Snopes, I wonder how many emails you'll be getting in the next couple weeks along the lines of, "I heard that Obama just passed a law giving himself Secret Service protection for life. Is that true?")
Actually, they'll get emails saying "I heard Obama just passed a law giving himself the right to be President for life. Is that true?"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11 January 2013, 04:43 AM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 17,022
Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Actually, they'll get emails saying "I heard Obama just passed a law giving himself the right to be President for life. Is that true?"
Well if it has a dozen forwards on it, then it must be.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11 January 2013, 06:04 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Kenya

What is Obama so afraid of? He must have something to hide ...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11 January 2013, 11:55 AM
Cobalt Indigo's Avatar
Cobalt Indigo Cobalt Indigo is offline
 
Join Date: 21 November 2012
Location: Pikeville, NC
Posts: 92
Default

My right-wing friends will be saying, "of course he's getting secret service for life! That's how dictators work!"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11 January 2013, 01:29 PM
Simply Madeline's Avatar
Simply Madeline Simply Madeline is offline
 
Join Date: 15 October 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Ford, Carter, Bush Sr, and Clinton already have Lifetime protection under Public Law 89-186.
Ford's been dead for 6 years.

Simply "He was delicious" Madeline
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:19 PM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,779
Default

Now that's just superfluous, you know?

Honestly, given the current level of craziness in our so-called political discourse, it sounds totally reasonable to me to reinstate the lifetime protection. (Sadly, probably even moreso if the Obama administration actually manages to get any significant gun control measures passed.)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:23 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,587
Default

Also, IIRC, threats against the president increased dramatically after Obama took office.

I can't imagine why.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:40 PM
firefighter_raven's Avatar
firefighter_raven firefighter_raven is offline
 
Join Date: 27 September 2008
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 2,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Ford's been dead for 6 years.

Simply "He was delicious" Madeline
He gets Zombie Secret Service
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11 January 2013, 02:53 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Also, IIRC, threats against the president increased dramatically after Obama took office.

I can't imagine why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Now that's just superfluous, you know?

Honestly, given the current level of craziness in our so-called political discourse, it sounds totally reasonable to me to reinstate the lifetime protection. (Sadly, probably even moreso if the Obama administration actually manages to get any significant gun control measures passed.)
You know I get that there's a popular image of Obama as the most threatened President, but he's already almost in his second term and there's been no serious security threats against him that actually made it out of the "Idiots talking about it" stage and into the level of actual attempt. I mean someone flew an airplane into the White House trying to kill Clinton (and hell maybe George W. Bush as well since we're still not 100% where in DC the 4th 9/11 flight was trying to strike and people opening fire on the White House for Clinton and George W. Bush. Reagan actually got shot and very nearly died. Ford got shot at fro pretty much point blank range twice within a 2 week period and survived based on near as I can tell pure damn luck. It's not like everyone loved the President up until Obama got in office. Hell have we had a President someone didn't at least get pretty fair into planning to kill? Honestly Obama doesn't seem to be getting the attempts all other Presidents in recent history have despite people saying "Oh some racists nutjob is gonna try and kill him because he's black" since he got elected.

Yeah there's been plenty of plots and talk but I think that as much as result of Obama really be the first President who's entire political career has taken place in the social media/digital information age where it's harder to keep crap like that a secret. I'm sure idiots were planning to kill... Taft they just didn't have Facebook to post it on and get caught.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11 January 2013, 03:01 PM
Avril's Avatar
Avril Avril is offline
 
Join Date: 07 August 2002
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 10,547
Default

Well, there was this guy who shot up the White House windows, and I think there may be some slight uptick of hatred of Obama in some sectors that wouldn't hate a white guy who did and said all the same stuff, but I think JoeBentley has some very good points too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11 January 2013, 03:29 PM
Sylvanz's Avatar
Sylvanz Sylvanz is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,968
Default

True, but I actually have more concern for President Obama and his family once he's out of office. Even with secret service they won't have nearly the security they have while he's in office. The bullet to the window hit the private residence AIU, and only the bullet proof glass stopped it. These sorts of wackos have long memories. I think it may depend on who is in office and how far the country swings left. I doubt it'll go far from my perspective, but to anyone who would shoot the president anything to the left of Joe McCarthy is a screaming pinko, commie, whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11 January 2013, 04:01 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
You know I get that there's a popular image of Obama as the most threatened President, but he's already almost in his second term and there's been no serious security threats against him that actually made it out of the "Idiots talking about it" stage and into the level of actual attempt.
We don't actually know what serious threats the Secret Service has investigated and addressed. At least I don't.

Quote:
Reagan actually got shot and very nearly died.
More than 30 years ago.

Quote:
Ford got shot at fro pretty much point blank range twice within a 2 week period and survived based on near as I can tell pure damn luck.
And a misfiring gun, IIRC, in one case. And that was almost 40 years ago. Maybe the Secret Service is getting better at preventing assassination attempts? Certainly security levels have been heightened. And social media may alert the authorities to serious threats as well as idiots talking crap.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11 January 2013, 05:30 PM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,779
Default

To clarify, I'm talking about the general level of animosity and fearmongering that elevates any heated political discussion beyond merely "contentious" and into "dangerous." Yes, I do believe that it's coming mostly from the right, but there's so much hateful rhetoric that I think delusional whackos of any political bent might be more inclined to decide that violent action is OK.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11 January 2013, 05:48 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
It's not like everyone loved the President up until Obama got in office. Hell have we had a President someone didn't at least get pretty fair into planning to kill? Honestly Obama doesn't seem to be getting the attempts all other Presidents in recent history have despite people saying "Oh some racists nutjob is gonna try and kill him because he's black" since he got elected.
That "racist nutjob" classification (or fear that people would default to that as an assumed motivation) might actually have something to do with it. Supposedly, even presidential assassins are loathe to be accused of racism.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bush vs. Obama snopes Politics 4 17 September 2013 08:15 AM
Obama didn't register with the Selective Service snopes Politics 45 28 July 2009 10:25 AM
When the Secret Service comes calling snopes Snopes Spotting 0 08 December 2008 08:48 AM
Secret Service Investigates Second Threatening Obama Letter snopes Snopes Spotting 4 16 October 2008 03:25 PM
Secret Service On My Steps snopes Politics 12 16 October 2008 03:21 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.