snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 18 October 2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
A while ago, I bought a small package of beef shank and stuck it in the freezer. It was on sale and very cheap and I figured I'd find a suitable recipe. No dice. What do you do with beef shank? Supposing you have about 1/2 a pound, bone-in?
Osso bucco - a lovely slow cooked dish using shank - I've had veal, lamb and beef versions & never tasted a bad recipe.
Old 18 October 2012, 08:54 PM

When I was a kid eating Velveeta grilled cheese sandwiches, we had a wire cheese cutter. You can do the same thing with a piece of dental floss strung between your two index fingers.

This takes longer to describe than to do. Set the block of Velveeta on end, and using the floss, cut down into the block a couple times. Turn the block and cut again,90 degrees to the first cuts. Then lay the block on its side, and cut cubes off of it. (Does that make sense?)
Old 18 October 2012, 10:06 PM

Is ghee the same thing as browned butter (it sounds like it is)? If so, it is good with spaghetti too. Especially with some fresh mizithra cheese.
Old 19 October 2012, 05:56 AM

Does the texture and taste of butter change after you freeze it? I'm not crazy about the taste and texture of bread and blocks of cheese that have been frozen.

I may try making ghee at some point. I didn't realize that it kept better than unclarified butter.
Old 19 October 2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Jello View Post
Does the texture and taste of butter change after you freeze it? ...
No. Not after it thaws, anyway.

Nick
Old 19 October 2012, 01:33 PM

The good thing about butter is that since it doesn't have any fibers, it's not susceptible to freezer burn (which is what usually causes damage to food in the freezer).

Butter is an emulsion, which basically means that 2 things that don't mix together (fat and water) have been forced to live together. During the thawing process, the 2 might separate a bit, but it doesn't affect it too much. After all, most of the times, you melt butter before using it, which separates the 2 anyways. I haven't tried this, but I imagine that if you are making something that requires you to beat butter at room temperature, the thawing process might affect the texture (or maybe not). However, for most uses it should be fine
Old 19 October 2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
The good thing about butter is that since it doesn't have any fibers, it's not susceptible to freezer burn (which is what usually causes damage to food in the freezer).
I thought freezer burn was more about drying. Ah, googled it and I am right. Here's an explanation with a bit too much anthropomorphism for my taste, but hitting the process well enough.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/myster...eezerburn.html
Old 19 October 2012, 10:48 PM

Icon18

I have a couple raw chicken breasts that I intend to turn into the "shredded cooked chicken" required for soup recipe. What's the best, easiest, cooking method for this?

I have the house to myself for the next four days and I expect to spend much of that time in the kitchen. Expect many more posts like this.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 20 October 2012, 12:18 AM

For shredding, you can cook it either in seasoned water or in broth until it's tender enough to shred.

ETA: bring it to the boil, turn it down to medium and let it simmer until done.
Old 20 October 2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Is ghee the same thing as browned butter (it sounds like it is)? If so, it is good with spaghetti too. Especially with some fresh mizithra cheese.
No. Browned butter is butter that is melted and heated until the milk solids turn brown. It's has a deep, kind of nutty flavor. Clarified butter or ghee is butter that has been melted and the milk solids skimmed off. So instead of an opaque liquid you get that clear yellow liquid. it's the same thing as drawn butter that's served with lobster and crab.

Gibbie
Old 21 October 2012, 05:42 PM

Icon18

First, thanks to Tzarina for answering my last query; as I mentioned in the other thread that part of the recipe worked out fine. And now for my next question. I have a savory pie crust recipe that starts thusly: "Stir together the flour, thyme and salt in a bowl. Add the butter, and with your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until everything resembles cornmeal: slightly yellow, with only small lumps of butter." Egg yolks are added afterwards. To me, this sounds like the results you get from a pastry cutter. Is there something I'm missing, or should using one work fine?

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 22 October 2012, 01:02 AM

Nope, pastry cutter would work fine. Some people prefer the cutter, some people their hands. Use whichever you'd like.

Gibbie
Old 22 October 2012, 02:07 AM

You're welcome!

I'd go with the pastry cutter or a food processor, otherwise the heat from your hands will melt the butter. Usually when making crust you want to keep the butter as cold as possible.
Old 22 October 2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzarina View Post
You're welcome!

I'd go with the pastry cutter or a food processor, otherwise the heat from your hands will melt the butter. Usually when making crust you want to keep the butter as cold as possible.
I have never had a pastry cutter and only occasionally have a food processor, and the trick is to use only the tips of your fingers as much as possible, try not to use the palms. I have managed to get goood results in the tropics and sub-tropics. It is a pain though, I will have to remember the food processor next time I am using this technique.
Old 22 October 2012, 03:28 AM

You can also do a fork or two butter knives.
Old 22 October 2012, 04:49 AM

Icon18

I consider using a pastry cutter to be one of life's little pleasures, so this will not be a hardship.

This was a great idea for a thread, btw. Cooking is one of those areas where my ambition and enthusiasm tend to bound forward with reckless abandon, with my actual practical knowledge being dragged helplessly behind like a small child attempting to walk a pair of Labradors who've just seen a squirrel.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 22 October 2012, 05:47 PM

Goldfish

I asked this over in Stupid Questions, but I'll repost it in here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
Can one really poach fish in a dishwasher? I've heard that you can, but was never sure if it it's true or not.
I don't have a dishwasher, but I've always wondered.
Old 22 October 2012, 08:14 PM

Yes, but it's an awful waste of water just for a gimmick. I much prefer to wrap the fish in foil with a slice of lemon, dab of butter, paprika, thyme, and a T of chicken broth.
Old 22 October 2012, 08:36 PM

I've got 2 pieces of beef (little eye of round steaks) that I want to make into some sort of hot sandwich meat. The problem is that I don't think they're quite big enough. What is something I can mix in to stretch the meat a bit? I'm leaning towards shredded BBQ if that helps.
Old 22 October 2012, 09:52 PM

Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
I've got 2 pieces of beef (little eye of round steaks) that I want to make into some sort of hot sandwich meat. The problem is that I don't think they're quite big enough. What is something I can mix in to stretch the meat a bit? I'm leaning towards shredded BBQ if that helps.
Beans? Maybe already in a BBQ sauce, and you can shred the meat into a bowl of them and make hot sandwiches. Or make wells in buns and fill to make a sort of BBQ shepherd pie (mm, with some onions and peppers and shredded cheese on top, it could be cowboy pie instead of shepherd pie).