snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 17 October 2012, 07:40 PM

I agree with Alarm. Cheez Whiz would be simpler. Or even a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup.

A while ago, I bought a small package of beef shank and stuck it in the freezer. It was on sale and very cheap and I figured I'd find a suitable recipe. No dice. What do you do with beef shank? Supposing you have about 1/2 a pound, bone-in?
Old 17 October 2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I agree with Alarm. Cheez Whiz would be simpler. Or even a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup.

A while ago, I bought a small package of beef shank and stuck it in the freezer. It was on sale and very cheap and I figured I'd find a suitable recipe. No dice. What do you do with beef shank? Supposing you have about 1/2 a pound, bone-in?
Anything that requires it to be cooked slow. you could either put it into a crockpot and roast it, or put it into a stew or something.
Old 17 October 2012, 09:11 PM

Avril, I have only seen beef shanks used in making beef based soups or stock. If you want some good braised beef, short ribs are the way to go.

CenTex, this is the recipe I use for CFS. The gravy, well, I make it the way I've made pan gravy all my life. Notice Alton uses no sugar. Isn't he from Georgia?

This northern gal has done a lot of southern dishes I never dreamed I'd be cooking, since that southern guy came into my life.

ETA: to add, I think I'll try adding sugar to the flour. It's the same flour I use for my gravy, after all. Thanks!

Last edited by tagurit; 17 October 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 17 October 2012, 09:26 PM

Tagurit, try the southern guy on some sliced fried parsnips - he's probably never had them, but if he is southern, he'll eat danged near anything that's been fried. And, uh, if you want to share those parsnips with me, I would not mind.
Old 17 October 2012, 09:33 PM

Ok, Mack, how the heck do you fry parsnips? (Do I really want to know?)
Old 17 October 2012, 10:05 PM

Alton's pretty close on the CFS, except I'd lose the thyme, add soured milk to my eggs (1c milk +1T white vinegar, let sit at room temp for 1/2 hour), and use crisco iinstead of vegetable oil.

Anyone who got near my gravy or CFS with sugar would be beaten back with a wooden spoon. But then I don't like sugar in much of anything.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:08 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagurit View Post
Ok, Mack, how the heck do you fry parsnips? (Do I really want to know?)
Slice them lengthwise and brown them in some oil in a skillet until tender.

I suppose you could slice them any other way, though as medallions they might get too soft and fall apart. But you need to make sure the fibrous center part gets cooked enough to be more tender than it often is, especially in larger parsnips.
Old 18 October 2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Alton's pretty close on the CFS, except I'd lose the thyme, add soured milk to my eggs (1c milk +1T white vinegar, let sit at room temp for 1/2 hour), and use crisco iinstead of vegetable oil.
I use crisco shortening, too. I guess I change a few things because I don't use thyme, either. I'd forgotten about that.
Quote:
Anyone who got near my gravy or CFS with sugar would be beaten back with a wooden spoon. But then I don't like sugar in much of anything.
Well, it's just a little sugar in the gravy. It doesn't make it sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Slice them lengthwise and brown them in some oil in a skillet until tender.

I suppose you could slice them any other way, though as medallions they might get too soft and fall apart. But you need to make sure the fibrous center part gets cooked enough to be more tender than it often is, especially in larger parsnips.
I guess I won't try that. I don't like parsnips and that doesn't sound especially appealing. But, more for you, right?
Old 18 October 2012, 02:01 AM

I have a bit over half a pound of butter that I've had in the fridge for a while. It has developed that off-flavor that makes it unsuitable for spreading on toast, flavoring steamed veggies, and such. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what I could use this butter for--something that hides the taste of the butter? I really don't want to be wasteful throw it out.
Old 18 October 2012, 02:12 AM

I don't think I've ever kept butter that long!

And I think sugar in cream gravy would be something of an abomination, for what that's worth.
Old 18 October 2012, 02:14 AM

Garnet Jello, If the butter doesn't taste good, I'd throw it out.
Old 18 October 2012, 02:19 AM

I concur about throwing it out. If you don't think you would use a pound of butter up before it goes off (probably not possible in my home) you can freeze part of it.

Nick
Old 18 October 2012, 02:20 AM

Or you can buy half a pound, sometimes. (In my grocery store, that's Land O'Lakes that is available in half pound boxes.)
Old 18 October 2012, 04:02 AM

The only brand that my local markets has in half-pound markets is Breakstone's. The only reason why I avoided purchasing the half-pound box was that it was cheaper to buy a full pound of store brand butter. Considering that I think that Breakstone's tastes better than the store brand, it's well worth it for me to spend more for less. I've learned my lesson from this experience.
Old 18 October 2012, 03:17 PM

It's possible the butter has just absorbed an odor from something else in the fridge that's affecting the taste, but I tend to err on the side of caution.
Old 18 October 2012, 03:29 PM

The sugar that I put in the flour is for browning purposes. It helps that breading get that nice golden brown color.
Old 18 October 2012, 03:57 PM

The butter has probably gone rancid. Eating it won't hurt you, but it will taste sour. AFAIK, there's no way to fix rancid butter. If you don't like it throw it out. However, IIRC there is a recipe for tea made with rancid yak butter that you could try.

Not sure if you would want to have a pound of butter worth's tea.. Throw it out

ETA: Just remembered this after posting. Next time you buy lots of butter, you might want to turn it to ghee. Ghee stays much better than butter, and you can do it at home. Frankly it tastes much better too. Heat it for a bit, and put a dash of it in rice, and it smells like heaven
Old 18 October 2012, 04:24 PM

And here I always thought ghee was clarified butter.
Old 18 October 2012, 04:53 PM

Yeah it is. It also stays longer than butter. The process of removing milk solids, and oxidizing of the fat makes it less susceptible to going rancid. You can keep Ghee at room temp for couple of months, whereas butter would go rancid in days. Ghee lasts much longer in the fridge too

Ghee was basically invented in South Asia before refrigeration was invented to increase the life of butter .It happens to taste much better is just a happy side effect.
Old 18 October 2012, 05:09 PM

Or, if you don't feel like making ghee, just toss the extra butter in the freezer. Take out one stick at a time.