snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 25 March 2013, 01:06 AM

Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagurit View Post
Thank you again for your advice. They turned out great. I'll probably over-buy again just for the salmon cakes. Much better than from canned salmon!
Around here, every so often there are fantastic deals on either whole cleaned salmon of halves. the butcher will slice them for you. I'm talking of $2/pound range. You might watch for those if you want to broil extra for various other meals.
Old 25 March 2013, 02:31 AM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Yeah, I googled it. I am guessing that spanako-pita translates pretty directly to spinach-pie. Mmmm, meet-up at mcolakis's place in May for a Greek food festival!
Ha, I'd love to host Snopesters!
Thanks, Mack and Nick et al for your input. The cheese has a little brine in the package, so it shouldn't dry out. If it still looks fine (un-moldy) in a month, I'll go ahead and use it.

Another question: has anyone substituted matzo meal, or matzo cake meal, for flour in a cake recipe? I mean adapted a recipe originally written for flour. The Chowhound food site says to use 5/8 cup matzo meal per cup of flour. Has anyone tested this?
Old 25 March 2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Around here, every so often there are fantastic deals on either whole cleaned salmon of halves. the butcher will slice them for you. I'm talking of $2/pound range. You might watch for those if you want to broil extra for various other meals.
$2/lb? We will never again see those prices for salmon in Michigan. I guess it's everyone to ATNM's house for grilled salmon in May!
Old 25 March 2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
$2/lb? We will never again see those prices for salmon in Michigan. I guess it's everyone to ATNM's house for grilled salmon in May!
Yeah, sure, watch for your invitation.
Old 25 March 2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you again for your advice. They turned out great. I'll probably over-buy again just for the salmon cakes. Much better than from canned salmon!
Happy to hear that. For salmon salad for sandwiches, I make it like tuna salad. Break up the salmon, add green onions, mayo, squirt of mustard, squeeze of lemon, s&p.
Old 25 March 2013, 05:06 PM

Goldfish

Best salmon cake recipe ever! The recipe calls for using a food processor, but I dice the salmon very finely by hand. The cakes look and taste like a restaurant item with the diced salmon. A favorite at my house!
Old 25 March 2013, 08:40 PM

Default stupid McD's food question

Is there any difference between a McDonald's McDouble and a McDonald's Double Cheeseburger other than the double cheese has 2 pieces of cheese?
Old 26 March 2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiev View Post
Is there any difference between a McDonald's McDouble and a McDonald's Double Cheeseburger other than the double cheese has 2 pieces of cheese?
The price. McDouble is on the dollar menu.

Nick
Old 05 April 2013, 07:50 AM

Is there any kind of formula for liquid vs. stuff in a slow cooker recipe?

I recently tried this recipe. It was pretty tasty overall, but there was just way to much liquid by the time it was done. I tried it a second time yesterday, without adding the 1/4 cup of water, and it still came out looking like soup.
Old 05 April 2013, 10:34 AM

I can only suggest looking for a less liquid salsa brand to try as there doesn't seem to be another obvious source of liquid, if you are draining the beans well.
Old 05 April 2013, 11:26 AM

In the pictures of the recipe, it looks like there's a fair amount of liquid. It seems like the liquid may have been drained in the last picture. Also, if you have two heat settings on your slow cooker, use the lower one--the higher one might be cooking more liquid out of the chicken and veggies.
Old 14 January 2014, 08:46 PM

How long do dried fruits keep?

Backstory: I have a waxed-cardboard container of dried apricots with a sell-by date in 2007. When I opened the container - the first time it was open, as it had all the seals and safety devices - the apricots were a very dark brown, perhaps even black. This is not the color I expected of apricots. They smell okay, but I expect apricots to be orange. Could they still be safe?
Old 14 January 2014, 08:56 PM

I would not trust the black or even very dark brown apricots that expired 7 years ago.

http://www.eatbydate.com/fruits/drie...piration-date/
Old 14 January 2014, 10:58 PM

Reading brown apricots

Quote:
How long do dried fruits keep?

Backstory: I have a waxed-cardboard container of dried apricots with a sell-by date in 2007. When I opened the container - the first time it was open, as it had all the seals and safety devices - the apricots were a very dark brown, perhaps even black. This is not the color I expected of apricots. They smell okay, but I expect apricots to be orange. Could they still be safe?
I would not be adventurous enough to try them that long after expiration date, but there are dark apricots (I shot these, so they exist and were not stale/spoiled): organic dried apricots

Last edited by Vinnichanka; 14 January 2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling