snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 03 November 2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Next time I find kielbasa cheap I'm making that dinner!
Please let me know if you decide to try it and whether you have a preferred variation, won't you?

I have gotten so many recipes and ideas out of these threads that I really enjoy seeing a new one pop up.
Old 03 November 2011, 03:55 AM

Mashed black potatoes, mushroom gravy, and artichokes dipped in homemade mayonnaise. Learning to make mayo has changed my life.
Old 03 November 2011, 04:06 AM

Making mayo is easy, isn't it? I would have to look to be sure of the proportions, but isn't it just eggs and oil whipped, with I think vinegar or lemon juice or something slightly acidic added? I have never made it; it would probably be fun to try at least one batch. I like making slightly odd things, that most other people wouldn't think of making.
Old 03 November 2011, 04:28 AM

Icon23

Tonight, I had some of my home made beef/barley/veggie soup from the crock pot.

We get weekly deliveries of fresh organic veggies from a local farmer. We got the last delivery last weekend, and it included some turnips, carrots, potatoes, onions. That, along with some corn and green beans we froze earlier this year, along with some beef, slow cooked all day along with several bay leaves, parsley, oregano, and other herbs and spices. let that cook all day on slow, then add the barley on high for another two hours. Pretty good right out of the pot, but the secret is to put the removable crock in the fridge and let it sit overnight to allow the flavors to mingle.

Had some more tonight at work, and it was pretty darn tasty!
Old 03 November 2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Making mayo is easy, isn't it? I would have to look to be sure of the proportions, but isn't it just eggs and oil whipped, with I think vinegar or lemon juice or something slightly acidic added? I have never made it; it would probably be fun to try at least one batch. I like making slightly odd things, that most other people wouldn't think of making.
It's super easy, but requires a blender or food processor which I hadn't had before. I got a blender and a recipe and blam, delicious homemade mayo. The recipe I use, which is from How To Cook Anything, goes like this:

2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
1 egg
1 cup neutral oil
Salt/ pepper/ other spices to taste

Put vinegar, egg, seasoning, and 1/4 cup oil in the blender. Turn blender on. Add the rest of the oil slowly in a thin stream.

Emulsification should be complete by the time all the oil has been added.
Old 03 November 2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola shoes View Post
Tonight we're trying a new recipe from HungryGirl, with fish, bok choy, and zucchini in a foil pack!
Verdict: the sauce was really, really good (2 tbsp. sugar free orange marmalade, 2 tbsp. thick teriyaki sauce) and we loved it on the fish and zucchini. We weren't sold on the bok choy; I think I needed to cut it up smaller or something. It wasn't awful, but not great. I think I'm going to use shredded cabbage instead next time I try it!
Old 03 November 2011, 01:10 PM

psssst. gs, do you have a link to that recipe?
Old 03 November 2011, 01:16 PM

But of course! Jump for Choy Fish Pack.
Old 03 November 2011, 02:25 PM

Great. Thanks, granola shoes!
Old 03 November 2011, 02:56 PM

Last night we had Parmesan chicken tenders.

They were a lot of work but turned out fantastic tenders. For the coating I started with Parmesan cheese, added about 2 cups of flour, then I crushed about two cups of rice krispies with a rolling pin and added those in, then I added a bunch of pepper. Then I had Kernels seasoned flour that I used for the first layers of coating. I used chicken breasts cut into tender size pieces. I beat some eggs and added a bit of water to them then I dried the chicken off and tossed it in seasoned flour first then I doubled dipped them in egg and seasoned flour then for the third dip I dipped them in the Parmesan and cereal coating. So I dipped them flour-egg-flour-egg-flour-egg-coating. Then I pan fried them in about an inch of veggie oil till golden brown (although some got more like dark brown but still taste great) and cooked through and served them with homemade honey mustard sauce. Hubby made that with Chinese hot mustard, regular yellow mustard, honey and mayo. The three coats are what makes it so much work, but I love and adore the coating thick and crispy and the three coats make it thick (the cereal makes it crispy). I've also used rice chex and corn chex crushed up and they give it the same crunch.

I made a packet mix of rice to go with it, the flavor was "cheddar broccoli" but it made me LOL when I made it because the "broccoli" bits looked like parsley. Flat and flakey and not even remotely broccoli like. It did have sort of a broccolish taste though.

ETA: as a tip, when breading, designate one hand "wet" and one hand "dry" to avoid club hands. I set it up with my wet hand beside the dish with the eggs and the dry hand by the containers of the flour and coating. It does take some training of ones brain to get used to it though but it helps a lot when breading stuff.
Old 03 November 2011, 06:00 PM

Chilaquiles for lunch
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chic...0000001634740/

No clue about dinner...
Old 04 November 2011, 10:29 PM

For lunch, a burger, pink in the middle and juicy, with gouda, caramelized onions, and garlic aioli on a freshly baked bun, with a cup of corn chowder.
Old 05 November 2011, 03:27 PM

Flame <--- grumpy bonfire

A Bonfire Night feast - spicy stuffed sweet potatoes, parkin and cinder toffee made by me, spicy sausage casserole and gingerbread men made by Hastings.
Old 05 November 2011, 04:56 PM

Tonight we're having panko-parmesan encrusted tilapia and red skin potatoes.
Old 05 November 2011, 07:52 PM

Pinecone, could you give me your recipe for cinder toffee? I'd never heard of it before but from the descriptions I read online it looks delicious!

Today we're having enchiladas for dinner tonight. For lunch I'm making a recipe of my mom's creation called Pizza Potatoes. It's hash browned potatoes with ketchup, a topping (as a kid mom always used chopped turkey but my parents always had chopped turkey in the freezer and didn't like processed meats, hubby and I always use peperoni) and mozzarella cheese. As a kid, mom always browned the potatoes in an electric skillet then after the toppings and cheese were on she would just shut the lid till the cheese melted, I do it a little differently, cooking the hash browns in the pan(I make them a solid layer) then putting that on a cookie sheet and melting the cheese in the oven, we like our cheese browned.
Old 05 November 2011, 08:09 PM

Heat 200 grams of caster sugar and four tablespoons of golden syrup in a pan, stirring gently, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture goes a nice caramel colour. Line a 20 x 20cm shallow baking tin with greaseproof paper and brush with melted butter. Once the sugar/syrup mixture is ready, take it off the heat and beat in one tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda. The mix goes all bubbly and thick, kind of like that insulation stuff they inject into buildings! Pour it into your tin and leave to set, then break into pieces.
Old 05 November 2011, 08:21 PM

Cinder toffee is sponge candy?

ETA: We use to get sponge candy (Product of Canada) when I was a kid but I hadn't seen it in, literally, decades when I found these online. I always meant to try the recipes but never got around to it. I've had these recipes for several years.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/general/sponge.htm

Old Fashioned Sponge Candy
1 C. sugar
1 C. corn syrup, dark
1 T. vinegar
1 T. soda

Combine sugar, syrup, and vinegar in heavy sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.

Then cook to 300° F. or crack stage. Remove from heat, stir soda in quickly, mixing up. (it will become frothy) Pour into buttered pan. Cool and break into pieces.

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/candy/sp...dy_recipe.html

Sponge Candy

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
1 tablespoon baking soda

1. Cook sugar, syrup and vinegar over medium heat, stirring until sugar melts. Cook without stirring until mixture is very brittle when placed in cold water.
2. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
3. Pour into a well greased 9-inch pan.
4. When hard, break into pieces. Very good coated with chocolate!

Makes 16 pieces.

ETA again: Yes, cinder toffee IS sponge candy! How very cool. I'm a child all over again. Thank you, Pinecone and greenfrog!

Last edited by tagurit; 05 November 2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Found the recipes
Old 06 November 2011, 12:42 AM

For lunch a smørrebrød with pickled herring, dill sauce, onion, potato, and rugbrød. Butter ring for dessert.
Old 06 November 2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrog78 View Post
For lunch I'm making a recipe of my mom's creation called Pizza Potatoes.
Interesting. In Switzerland we have something called Rösti Pizza (picture with a recipe in German, picture with a recipe in English). Rösti is similar to hashbrowns, and the pizza version is available in stalls (at carnivals, for example), but also in restaurants. The company cafeteria serves it about once every two months.

Lunch will be parmesan-baked perch with noodles of some sort and frozen veggies. Dinner will be Nigel Slater's Mustard & Lemon Sausages with Carrot Mash. Both are new recipes for me. We've been watching Nigel Slater's simple suppers to get some ideas.

And I'm going to make a carrot cake.
Old 06 November 2011, 08:35 AM

Australia

Saffron and garlic prawns, eggplant dressed with garlic, feta and parsley, roasted capsicum and tomato, pan fried mushrooms and a crusty roll. Also two glasses of champagne.

We wanted something a bit simple.

Dropbear