snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 02 November 2011, 01:20 PM

I love kielbasa. I used to live in Copiague, which is heavily populated with Polish immigrants, and there were several polish delis nearby that sold kielbasa in big cases, and it was amazing. I haven't picked any up in a while but I should.
Old 02 November 2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGirl View Post
What's ULTRAGOTHA casserole?
What is it? It's delicious, that's what!

ULTRAGOTHA shared it in the "How to eat on the cheap" thread:

Recipe

Other variations and additions are mentioned in that thread as well as people tried it and put their own twist on it. I like to roast some poblano and bell peppers and add it to the mix, then top with avocado.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks Granola Shoes!
Old 02 November 2011, 03:05 PM

The last couple of night's dinners have been Halloween candy, so I think we're doing Spaghetti with homemade bread.
Old 02 November 2011, 03:19 PM

Hello Kitty

My first dinner guests in my new home will be enjoying beef stew a'la Crock Pot. I don't have a dining room table, but we'll manage. I had to return home this morning though when I remembered that I plugged the Crock Pot in, but didn't turn it on.

I hope Pebbles remembers to stir the stew a couple times today. And I hope she doesn't eat it or knock it off the counter.
Old 02 November 2011, 03:46 PM

Probably the Old El Paso enchiladas meal. Those things are fantastic, I'm working tonight and DH is home really late, and we can have a tasty dinner really quick. We make just cheese enchiladas using a few blends of cheeses, pop them in the oven with Old el Paso's yummy enchilada sauce, then heat up some rice and black beans as well.

Either that or lasagna, which is easy too. I make sauce with San Marzano tomatoes (I like it very sweet and thick and basil-y, I don't add too much to the tomatoes), and we use mozzarella cheese only, no ricotta. Also some fresh mozzarella that we slice and put on the top so it's even more cheesey and gooey. *drool*
Old 02 November 2011, 04:04 PM

My husband and I will probably be sharing another can of chunky soup along with a slice of bread since we lost power over the weekend and we found our fridge died when the power came back yesterday. So it's canned soup for us until we get our new fridge delivered tomorrow. At least it hasn't been too many days of this so I'm not sick of canned soup just yet.
Old 02 November 2011, 04:13 PM

Last night we had Manwiches with tator tots. And lemon pie.
Old 02 November 2011, 04:40 PM

Last night was cheese ravioli in a tomato and mushroom sauce, with crusty french bread and a chilled glass of pinot grigio, thus decreasing my risk of heart disease but increasing my risk of breast cancer.
Old 02 November 2011, 04:51 PM

Modified pad thai. Modified because I'm using whole chicken pieces instead of taking it off the bone. I hate messing with chicken. So I'm going to marinate the chicken in some of the sauce, cook it in the skillet then add the rest of the stuff and sauce and noodles and see how it comes out.

Gibbie
Old 02 November 2011, 05:10 PM

Last night we had stuffed peppers (Mrs. from Georgia made them from scratch. Well, scratch and bell peppers) and a fruit salad. No idea what's up for tonight.
Old 02 November 2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up View Post
I hope Pebbles remembers to stir the stew a couple times today. And I hope she doesn't eat it or knock it off the counter.
In my head, as she's stirring it, Pebbles is wearing a bib apron and a chef's hat.

Good luck with that, though. I've been trying to get my pets to do chores for decades now, lazy buggers.
Old 02 November 2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGirl View Post
What's ULTRAGOTHA casserole?
It's funny that you asked (and thanks granola shoes for answering) because we've had it 4 times now, I think, but SO doesn't have the same association I do with the name. So every time I mention it as "ULTRAGOTHA casserole" she's like, "what?" but I haven't figured out what else to call it, and that's what it is in my head....
Old 02 November 2011, 06:41 PM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
So every time I mention it as "ULTRAGOTHA casserole" she's like, "what?" but I haven't figured out what else to call it, and that's what it is in my head....
ULTRAGOTHA casserole is people! ULTRAGOTHA casserole is people!!!
Old 02 November 2011, 06:49 PM

We've taken to calling it "Corn and Black Bean Mess" because Ultragotha garnered too much confusion, much like in erwins' house
Old 02 November 2011, 07:13 PM

Frozen Dinner from Stouffer's. Two more sleeps in my apartment before moving out - desperately in "clean out the fridge" mode for food. I can't wait to get my stuff moved so I can cook again. *sigh* You people are so lucky...
Old 02 November 2011, 07:33 PM

Cabbage, kielbasa and chicken soup. As soon as I can be bothered to go pick the chicken off the bone and shred it, that is.
Old 02 November 2011, 09:42 PM

I will use this thread, as this is my dilemma. I am roughing it for the near future; I have no stove , only a hotplate, crockpot, and microwave. Plus I am picky, so surviving this may be a real challenge.

My biggest challenge I see is that I don't use the microwave for much of anything; even frozen dinners and frozen burritos go into the oven. I have a bag of burritos, but I am at a loss for how to prevent them getting that microwave-damp skin. Do you think I could toss them into a dry frying pan to crisp up the tortilla after I microwave them? The frozen dinners are probably beyond help; I will either have to hold off on them until I can actually cook, or just deal with the sogginess.

In the past week I have had chilli, beef stew, chicken and dumplings. Last night I made an awesome pot of lima beans with smoked pork neckbones, with rice and corn for sides. I am rapidly running out of soup/stew ideas, not to mention starting to get tired of soup/stew itself.

So, the challenge is to come up with meals or dishes that can be cooked on two burners with very limited heat control, one crockpot, and a microwave. Little help, here?
Old 02 November 2011, 09:43 PM

Wolf

What's for dinner tonight?

Nothing. I'm working overtime tonight. /whine.
Old 03 November 2011, 02:37 AM

Breakfast tacos I made with whole weat tortillas, scrambled eggs, and a steamed mixture of tuna and spinach, topped off with Sriracha.