snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 25 April 2011, 07:24 PM

I thought it was his helmet, too. And did you notice he's apparently a redhead?
Old 25 April 2011, 07:28 PM

Redheads are evil. Didn't the redhead mean a witch in ancient (Greek, Roman?) plays?
Old 25 April 2011, 07:32 PM

Yes, yes we are.
Old 25 April 2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Was this the Vienna Museum of Schlocky and Incredibly Obvious Religious Art?

I bet it's hanging right next to the velvet Elvis.
Old 25 April 2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Technically, the devil was the one issuing the challange.
Well, Johnny issues a challenge for the devil to come on back if he ever wants to try again.

Quote:
If he is sweating his quota, that implies that he has a boss to answer too.
Maybe he's just too hard on himself and freaks out when he can't meet is self-imposed standards.
Old 26 April 2011, 01:25 AM

I plead guilty for being an evil redheaded witch! Or rather just a redheaded witch!

I would think that someone who said this about religionI read a book lately by Nietzsche and he says religion is just to dull the senses of the people. I agree." and is known for denouncing the religion that he had joined, probably wouldn't give two figs about whether a pictorial representation between Satan and Man would show Man winning.

I guess like any UL about a genius scientist must be about Albert Einstein, a genius chess master must be Bobby Fischer besides evidence to the contrary.
Old 26 April 2011, 02:01 AM

Ponder

Quote:
"I have studied this game for more than six
hours, and I have discovered that it’s all right to allow the devil to
make his move. Because after he makes his move, I’ve found that there is
one more move on the board! Let him make his move. You’ll be the one who
says, ‘Checkmate!’ There is one more move on board.”
If it took the world's chess champion six hours to analyze the current game position and come up with a solution, what are the chances an ordinary mortal is going to find the one right move? Even a game with Old Scratch must have some time limits.
Old 26 April 2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnoops View Post
There is no counter-checkmate* in chess. When the king is in check, the options are to move the king, block the check, or capture the checking piece. Only the capture lends a slight possibility to a checkmate.

I looked at that board, and no way is capturing the checking piece even possible for a checkmate. Also, i'm surprised it's such an amateurish looking game, but maybe Satan is merely toying with Faust?

*Meaning to counter a checkmate with a checkmate.
Actually, there is another way to do a counter-checkmate. You can move a piece to block or move your king in such a way that you opens up a path of movement for another piece, giving it the needed "line of fire" on the opposing king. Not common, especially not with competent players, but it happens.

Either way, it wouldn't take a master like Fisher long to figure out.

On the other hand, his words don't explicitly imply a counter-checkmate. He could mean that there is one move that could be made that would get him out of the check-mate (which, of course, then would just be a check), and that, somewhere down the line, there was a win if played right. That could require even the great (and, sadly, late) Fisher to spend a few hours on the problem.

Heck, such a chess problem could even be a joke on the part of the painter.
Old 26 April 2011, 09:09 AM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
There's a page here with a copy of the likely painting and a video of a preacher going through the story.
Nice find! I looked around and found that the artist is Moritz Retzsch and the painting is called "Die Schachspieler" ("The Chess Players"). Quoted from your link:
Quote:
On display in the magnificent Louvre Museum in Paris, France, is that dramatic painting of Goethe's Faust.
Mr. Retzsch, like many of his contemporaries, made many copies of this painting in both oil and woodcut. However, while I found that the Met in New York has a copy I can't find any evidence that the Louvre does. Also, it doesn't appear to be based on Goethe:
Quote:
Moritz Retzsch, like many artists of his generation, was fascinated by Faust. Die Schachspieler, while not an explicitly Faustian episode, is full of Faustian flavour in its rich allegory of the Devil's battle for a man's soul.
Brian
Old 26 April 2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks to the work BrianB did, I found that the anecdote about the painting and the famous chess player has been (first?) told about Paul Morphy in 1888: http://blog.chess.com/batgirl/die-sc...anecdote-pt-ii.

As you can see in the first part of this blog post, there's much more to be made from the picture but "he can win against the devil":

Quote:
On Satan's side, the King is his own image, muffled, indeed, in a cloak, but still known at once. His Queen, a voluptuous female, with uncovered bosom, is Pleasure; her left hand pointing to her own seductive charms, while her right holds out the intoxicating cup. The six officers of Satan are six vices. The first is Indolence; with heavy form, and hanging arms, and stupid look, sitting idly on an unhewn block of wood. The second is Anger; rash and headlong, like the turkey-cock, that flies into a rage with every object, and having the head of that easily excited bird. The third is Pride, moving stiffly forward, with a feather crown, and bead tossed backward, a» if in scorn; with spurs on the heels, and an order on the breast; a full purse in one hand, and the other stretched haughtily forth, as if giving a command. He seems looking back at his splendid peacock's tail, which, as it is spread for display, hides from his own eyes the uncomely parts which it exposes to the view of others. The fourth is Falsehood; spotted like a tiger, and with a head like a cat; one hand on the breast, as if to assure good faith, while the other conceals a dagger behind her back. The fifth is Avarice, with Envy, as one person, bent and lean, gnawing its own hand, and pressing a casket, under its arras. The sixth and last, is Unbelief, a bold and impudent figure, horned, and with hands to its sides, as if in token of self-sufficiency, and overthrowing a cross with its foot. The eight pawns are Doubts; small, harpy shaped creatures, with wings like bats, emblematic of darkness, and sharp teeth, ready to bite and devour.
On the side of the young man, his own soul is the King, with a broad robe firmly drawn about him, and the wings of the butterfly on his shoulders, in token of his immortality. His Queen is Religion, the most powerful of all defenders ; a noble, majestic female, with angel wings; one hand outstretched, as though giving protection, and the other holding the cross, the emblem of the faith. The first, of his officers is Hope, resting on her anchor, and looking forward as though in expectation. The second is Truth, with a lighted torch and a reflecting shield, standing with Hope, as a castle, on her side. The third is Peace, with the palm branch in her hand The fourth is Humility, with her head bent in prayer, and her person plainly clad. The fifth is Innocence, as a naked child, unsuspecting and guileless, and stretching forth its arms confidingly to all. And sixth, and last, is Love—two children affectionately embracing each other, with cheek pressed to cheek, while above them is a bright single star. The pawns are Angel Heads, winged and worshipping, signifying prayers; for, as in the game of chess, an officer lost may be recovered by a pawn, so a spiritual loss may often he recovered by prayer.

--Byron Edwards, D.D., 1872
So the glurge in the OP is not only a rip-off from a much older glurge, it is falling short, too.
Old 26 April 2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
The pawns are Angel Heads, winged and worshipping, signifying prayers; for, as in the game of chess, an officer lost may be recovered by a pawn, so a spiritual loss may often he recovered by prayer.
From a quick Google search, the rule used to be that a pawn that reaches the other side could be promoted to a piece that had been lost. But now the rule is that the pawn can be promoted to any piece, even a duplicate of one that is still on the board.

So this proves that God approves of human cloning.
Old 26 April 2011, 05:05 PM

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Also, can you challange the devil to other games?
IIRC, Bill and Ted won at Monopoly, Twister, and Battleship.

Splish "You sunk my battleship!" Fish
Old 26 April 2011, 09:28 PM

And there are some people who should just be declared to have won by default.
Old 26 April 2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplishFish View Post

Splish "You sunk my battleship!" Fish
I once challenged the devil to a game I like to play called "Rob Wins."

Robbie-and oddly enough, I won-V
Old 26 April 2011, 10:12 PM

Don't forget the fiddling contest!
Old 04 May 2011, 03:56 PM

Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Well, you see Satan is very busy and can't really be everyplace at once. So he has a bunch of Satan's helpers who dress just like him and go out to tempt all the good little boys and girls into damnation.
You know, that Satan's like Lucifer... FROM HELL! ~ Mike, MST3K ("Santa Claus")

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplishFish View Post
Correction: They were challenging Death, not the Devil.
Old 04 May 2011, 06:11 PM

FTR, I am both redheaded and left-handed. Fear me!
Old 04 May 2011, 07:28 PM

Hey, so am I!
Old 04 May 2011, 11:01 PM

We should meet and plot evil deeds.
Old 04 May 2011, 11:10 PM

But first you have to decide which one of you will be the evil overlord and which will be the trusted lieutenant.