snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 24 March 2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah, lady, you didn't have that "green thing" and it was your generation that came up with the idea for all of those disposable items and developed them.
Old 24 March 2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
I think that the effectiveness of the DARE program is shown by how many kids attend raves & jam bands wearing DARE shirts; ironically. And yes I am a former raver and a former DARE kid.
I think there's also some pretty strong empirical data showing that it doesn't work. But I like your measure, too.
Old 24 March 2011, 04:12 PM

Am I the only one who thinks of H.P. Lovecraft when I read the thread title here?
Old 24 March 2011, 04:52 PM

My first thought was the large green transformers which were all over the place when I was a kid but which seem to be completely gone now. Last I checked, though, those didn't have tentacles extending out from them and didn't drive you insane if you looked at them so so far, yes, Brad, I would say that you're the only one who thought of Lovecraft.
Old 24 March 2011, 04:59 PM

Cool!!!!!!!
Old 24 March 2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
And lawn darts!
Man, I miss lawn darts. You can get them on eBay, but DH won't let me. My woodburning kit was fun for about a week, but then the novelty wore off. How many times can you burn your initials into your school ruler?
Old 24 March 2011, 06:16 PM

I remember when Weeble Wobbles and Fisher Price "Little People" were a choking hazard.
Old 24 March 2011, 06:18 PM

Who could swallow a weeble?
Old 24 March 2011, 06:20 PM

I couldn't get my hands around Weebles.

Little People could definitely be choking hazards, but I don't think they were ever meant for little ones.
Old 24 March 2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
My woodburning kit was fun for about a week, but then the novelty wore off. How many times can you burn your initials into your school ruler?
My brothers had a kit that came with pics -- there was an outline drawn on a piece of wood, and you burned along the outline to make sort of a carved picture.
Old 25 March 2011, 02:00 AM
Cytheria

I don't get the point of this. "The green thing" can obviously be interpreted in another way. Maybe she just meant they didn't have all the media hype and pseudo-caring that is prevalent nowadays concerning the environment. I call it pseudo because it's never going to work, and is a bunch of words and no action. Back in the day, they were already doing "the green thing" so a plastic bag or two wasn't a big deal.
Old 25 March 2011, 07:16 PM

I'm completely missing the point of the glurge here, partly because having 'the green thing' sounds like it could be a reference to some disfiguring skin ailment.

But also it seems to be aiming for something like 'Don't tell old people to be more green because they saved up all their eco-points years ago by being less wasteful'. The people who lived in the Rose-Tinted Ages are probably still around now and most likely not continuing in their quaint olden-day habits. A plastic bag is still wasteful even when somebody who years ago washed all their milk bottles is using it.

The glurge has the feel of a rant but I'm not sure who the subject of ire is. Environmentalists? A lot of people still do the kinds of things that supposedly everybody did Back in the Day and some of those people are modern-day 'green' types. Is it somehow worse when environmentalists do it? Is the rant simply aimed at modern people for having the audacity to be born in a time of relative technological advancement?

We can't go back, but we can stop chucking away wasteful sodding flimsy carrier bags.

Also, televsion in every room? Health clubs? Taking cars to go down the street? Buying children brand-new everything? How wealthy does the glurgealist think everybody these days is?
Old 25 March 2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
The glurge has the feel of a rant but I'm not sure who the subject of ire is. Environmentalists? A lot of people still do the kinds of things that supposedly everybody did Back in the Day and some of those people are modern-day 'green' types.
I thought the subject of the rant was the cashier who was rude enough to berate a customer's choice of bag. But he was in the wrong, no matter what, because cashiers should shut up about customers' choices.

It does remind me of a real incident in my family, where my grandmother, sometime around 1989, used the term "colored people," and my brother, who was about 21, jumped down her throat for being racist, at which point, my mother hauled him out of the room, and told him about the time that one of the black girls on her block invited all the girls who lived nearby to her birthday party, and my mother was the only white girl who was allowed to go. Apparently playing casually in the park, or on the sidewalk with the kids who lived nearby was one thing, but going inside their houses for a party was another. At any rate, the cashier doesn't really know anything about this woman's life, and is out of line.

The only thing is, I don't know whether that's a realistic situation. Do cashiers really tell off people like that? other than the cashiers at co-ops, whose customers are generally interested in learning about new green programs.

Or maybe it's just about the irony of the "green" movement for people who are older than about 60. It might feel like a step backward to them.
Old 25 March 2011, 10:42 PM

Is telling somebody that they don't use plastic carrier bags any more because they're bad for the environment really 'berating'? That's all the glurge actually gives us to go on.

Was the 'bad for the environment' bit too much? Was the old lady such an eco-veteran that she should never have to hear about what is or is not good for the environment ever again?

As for the story with your grandmother - I'm sorry, but no matter what she had done in the past she was still wrong to use the word 'coloured' at a time when it was not considered acceptable. True, your brother was in the wrong for assuming she was racist without knowing her history, but I wouldn't say that anybody has a free pass to say and do what they want no matter their age or history. You should always learn to update, whether it's your language or the way you shop (or your virus checker - but that's irrelevant).
Old 25 March 2011, 10:58 PM

Well, you weren't there-- brother was very rude about it. And my grandmother did not habitually use the word "colored." She normally said "black," and made some kind of momentary slip-up, like saying "ice-box," even though she normally said "refrigerator." He should have realized that, and let it go.
Old 25 March 2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
True, your brother was in the wrong for assuming she was racist without knowing her history. . .
And for "jumping down her throat" instead of offering a polite explanation.

Quote:
. . . but I wouldn't say that anybody has a free pass to say and do what they want no matter their age or history. You should always learn to update, whether it's your language or the way you shop (or your virus checker - but that's irrelevant).
I agree there's no free pass. But when it comes to, say, my 91YO mom, I sometimes grit my teeth and let things go, because trying to change her speech is pointless -- and would be even if she didn't have short-term memory loss that makes her forget the conversation soon after it happens.

Her adaptation of new technology stopped at the VCR, but that's not bad, really considering she was born in 1919, and how much new technology she's adopted in all those years.
Old 25 March 2011, 11:03 PM

I'm just wondering where I sign up for the 300HP machine that I automatically get when I want to travel 2 blocks.
Old 29 March 2011, 03:06 PM

Around here I call the 300 horse power machine that I get in when I want to travel a few blocks the city bus.
Old 29 March 2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Well, you weren't there-- brother was very rude about it. And my grandmother did not habitually use the word "colored." She normally said "black," and made some kind of momentary slip-up, like saying "ice-box," even though she normally said "refrigerator." He should have realized that, and let it go.
Which changes everything, but as you didn't mention that and as I wasn't there I had no way of knowing that back-story based on what you described.

Similarly, we have no way of knowing whether the cashier in the OP was rude in tone or whether she was guilty of all the modern excesses the rant accuses pretty much everybody under a certain age of. Without that to go on, all we know is that she said they didn't do plastic bags and the old lady replied that they didn't do the green thing in her day. The entire 'glurge' (?) seems to take an ordinary exchange and turn it into some personal vendetta against... who, exactly? Environmentalists? Young people?

If it's a tale of not judging a person then it falls flat on its arse by presuming that People Nowadays are all lazy, wasteful and indulgent hypocrites. How is that better than the crime of neglecting to take into account the old lady's (presumed) previous kindnesses to the planet?

Somewhat OT, but is it really a quaint old custom to wash and re-use glass milk bottles in the US? Here getting milk delivered and leaving the old milk bottles on the step for collection is perfectly normal. Also, although lots of people do buy bottled water, many of us use this miraculous invention known as the kitchen tap. And washable nappies and washing lines are making a come back - mostly due to the 'Green Thing'.
Old 29 March 2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Somewhat OT, but is it really a quaint old custom to wash and re-use glass milk bottles in the US? Here getting milk delivered and leaving the old milk bottles on the step for collection is perfectly normal.
It was still a common practice when I was a kid (60s and early 70s), but it's very unusual now.

Quote:
Also, although lots of people do buy bottled water, many of us use this miraculous invention known as the kitchen tap. And washable nappies and washing lines are making a come back - mostly due to the 'Green Thing'.
All those things are true in the US, too.