snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 19 October 2010, 03:03 PM

I've heard this all too many times before. Every few years, right around Easter, some Sunday School teacher will resurrect this thing once again (pun intended). I have heard it much tamer than this writing, and much more graphic.

Funny, because this whole story seems to miss the point of the Atonement of Christ, doesn't it?
Old 20 October 2010, 05:27 PM
redspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
In any case, if that account is true then it's the exact opposite of what was claimed. It was the Catholics who were being tortured. It might have happened in history (like some other ULs) but it has all the marks of a UL
Just because it has all the hallmarks of an UL doesn't mean that it is. Life is often stranger than fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
- especially that it changes at every telling to match whatever the teller wants to communicate. I think we can safely say that nearly all of these tellings are false.
I don't think it changes much at every telling. It seems quite consistent. Inquisition torture victims by putting rats in cage on victims stomach.

And I'm not sure how we can conclude, given a cited reference, that all tellings are false. However it does seem unfair to attribute it to the Inquisition.