snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 06 April 2007, 04:33 AM
brendaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Wren View Post
OOOO I totally agree. He is the main reason I watch Hunchback. When he sings that song in the beginning it sends chills up my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepfrydegg View Post
I comment for those people with cartoon infatuations (watch Red Dwarf for a good comment to this matter). The same people who think Wilma is "hot," but Betty was only "okay." [/hijack].
"Betty Rubble? I'd go with Betty... but I'd be thinking of Wilma"
Old 06 April 2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post

And I thought that the Beast (Human) was fugly.

Morrigan
Everytime I see the Beast (Human) in profile I just hide. I too think he's fugly. Prince Eric...Yummy...but for me it had some to do with who he was voiced by.

I had a crush on Kidd Video, Gambit, Wolverine and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. Gambit still rocks my boat.

Pixiechic
Old 06 April 2007, 07:21 AM

I remember watching a Beauty and the Beast movie (not animated, not Disney) in the mid 70's and being terribly disappointed when the Beast turned human. And then again, watching the animated Disney version when it came out, having the the same reaction even though I was prepared for the transformation. I was fascinated by the Beasts, but found their human manifestations dull.

Last edited by LyndaD; 06 April 2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Because I believe in capital letters.
Old 06 April 2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
While Wolverine is "All right" (unless it's Hugh Jackman Wolvie), I prefer Gambit. Gambit rocks my boat.

And I thought that the Beast (Human) was fugly.

Give me Prince Eric any day. Or Aladdin, preferably.

Morrigan
Beast looked better as the beast than as a human, IMO. Eric fares slightly better in my mind, but Aladdin is WAY above either.

I never had a crush on Wolverine, but I had crushes on dozens of other cartoon characters. Jessica Rabbit, Jasmine, Esmeralda - those round out the Disney girls that I liked most, uh... hm, I know there's more Disney men I liked, but I can't think of any right now... OH! I had a bit of a crush on Jafar. He's just so awesomely evil.

One of my biggest cartoon crushes when I was young, though, was Freakazoid.
Old 06 April 2007, 12:36 PM

Oh, I understand now. When "The Beast" came up after Wolverine, I thought people were calling Hank McCoy fugly - well, duh! He's the Beast! :o
Old 06 April 2007, 02:22 PM

I have to say I don't think I ever had any crushes on any of the Disney princes, I agree with those who say the beast looked a bit fugly after turning human, Prince Eric was too preppy looking, Aladdin had an obnoxious voice and personality, the prince from Cinderella seemed stuck up, the prince from Snow White was too generic and didn't show much personality, I guess the only one who was semi-bearable was Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty. I'd actually have to say that the anthropomorphic fox Robin Hood is the most "attractive" of the Disney male-leads for me, even though he's well... quite literally an animal. He had a great voice, a sense of humor, and he was dashing and romantic to boot, plus he didn't wear pants.
Old 06 April 2007, 06:24 PM
Rinoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora Del Drago View Post
You guys feel free to think cartoon characters are hot/sexy, and I'll feel free to find real people hot/sexy.
See, now that part bothers me. I can't speak for everyone here, but my love of animated characters is not to the exclusion of real people. I pined for JTT, I pined for Duo, I pined for Taylor, I pined for Squall, I... um... oh my, what was I talking about again?

Last edited by Rinoa; 06 April 2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: messed up one link
Old 06 April 2007, 06:45 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
Quote:
You guys feel free to think cartoon characters are hot/sexy, and I'll feel free to find real people hot/sexy.
See, now that part bothers me. I can't speak for everyone here, but my love of animated characters is not to the exclusion of real people. I pined for JTT, I pined for Duo, I pined for Taylor, I pined for Squall, I... um... oh my, what was I talking about again?
I give up. I'm sorry that part bothers you, but you conveniently left out the rest of my post, which indicated that YMMV, etc. I never said anyone loved animated characters "to the exclusion of real people." Where did you get that? Just to be perfectly clear, you didn't say I said that, but it was your implication, was it not? That statement was just another variation of YMMV. And I thanked everyone for the info. In addition, if you will read my post after that one, you will see that I tried to assure everyone that I had learned something new, and tried to assure everyone that this was all I meant--I had no idea that people actually thought cartoon characters were hot/sexy. Now I know. Thank you for the info. What's the problem with that? When people started talking about getting "boners" and others started asking me why I was taking things personally, I felt compelled to try to explain. I guess I shouldn't have tried to explain because apparently, it just made things worse. Think what you will, I meant no harm. I was just curious. I find it hard to imagine that a person who frequents snopes.com could be curious! But, fool that I must be, the next time something piques my curiosity, I'll probably ask another question because only by asking can I learn. Oh, well.
Old 06 April 2007, 07:52 PM
Drama Queen Of Mars

Quote:
This is a good example of wanderwoman's quote in my sig.
Too true! I love that sig line, BTW. I appologize again if I did sound kinda snarky (like I said, I do it without meaning to). I totally understand where you're coming from but I just wanted to let you know that what I had said was said in fun.
Old 06 April 2007, 08:15 PM

Icon105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen Of Mars View Post
Too true! I love that sig line, BTW. I appologize again if I did sound kinda snarky (like I said, I do it without meaning to). I totally understand where you're coming from but I just wanted to let you know that what I had said was said in fun.
Oh, boy, thank you! I was beginning to feel really bad because I thought, probably in error, that people were thinking I was judging or looking down my long nose or something equally abhorrent. I feel better, now. It's near to impossible to get the tone of a message at times, and I don't always sound like I mean to, so if anything I said came off different from the benign way I meant it, I'm truly sorry. By the way, I can be a real snot at times, but this wasn't one of them--not intentionally, anyway.

wanderwoman posted that a long time ago, and I glommed onto it immediately. Seems to fit this board a lot of times, yes?
Old 06 April 2007, 09:28 PM
Neffti

I can remember being a little bit jealous of the girl who "must go to fetch the water" at the end of Disney's "Jungle Book." At the age of 6, I thought Mowgli made an extremely eligible boyfriend.

Non-animated comic characters I have raised an eyebrow at have included Lobo, and Booga from Tank Girl.

Recently I have had a thing for Howl from "Howl's Moving Castle."

Aaaanyway... Never mind Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, I reckon Snow White makes the prettiest ever Disney heroine. She's impossibly dainty. I love the scene where she sings "I'm Wishing For The One I Love" alongside her echo from the wishing well. Absolutely beautiful.
Old 06 April 2007, 09:51 PM
Rinoa

Quote:
I give up. I'm sorry that part bothers you, but you conveniently left out the rest of my post, which indicated that YMMV, etc.
Sorry! I meant no harm either. I left out the rest because I was responding to that one line, and just wanted to make sure that it was conveyed that some people find animated and real people sexy.

Back to the topic at hand, was it ever mentioned WHO they were supposedly modelled after? Maybe that could be a missing link between the two. If not, then I really don't think they look alike enough to draw any conclusions.
Old 06 April 2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
I have to say I don't think I ever had any crushes on any of the Disney princes, I agree with those who say the beast looked a bit fugly after turning human, Prince Eric was too preppy looking, Aladdin had an obnoxious voice and personality, the prince from Cinderella seemed stuck up, the prince from Snow White was too generic and didn't show much personality, I guess the only one who was semi-bearable was Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty. I'd actually have to say that the anthropomorphic fox Robin Hood is the most "attractive" of the Disney male-leads for me, even though he's well... quite literally an animal. He had a great voice, a sense of humor, and he was dashing and romantic to boot, plus he didn't wear pants.
The only reason I like Aladdin (and Erik) is because of their singing voices. I also love Gaston for his voice (Richard White), but nothing else. The Beast is definately fugly. (Not my term, though, just borrowing it from a friend!)

Out of the Disney princesses, I love Belle. Completely. And the Beast before he's human.

Beast? From X-Men-nice-but I still prefer Gambit!

Morrigan
Old 07 April 2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
I'd actually have to say that the anthropomorphic fox Robin Hood is the most "attractive" of the Disney male-leads for me, even though he's well... quite literally an animal. He had a great voice, a sense of humor, and he was dashing and romantic to boot, plus he didn't wear pants.
Oh, I forgot about him... yeah, he's definitely one of the more attractive ones, I also like Basil from Great Mouse Detective and Ratigan from the same movie, because he's voiced by Vincent Price.

I guess I have a thing for mice and rats, because I also had just a little bit of a crush on Justin from The Secret of NIMH. I'm a big advocate of rats as pets (I don't have any right now - their lifespans are so short) so this would be no surprise at all to people who know me.
Old 07 April 2007, 01:39 PM
petrelgirl

To jump on the direction this thread is going down:

I don't really go after the disney guys, they're too macho in their proportions. Belle, Cindy, Sleeping Beauty, and the others can love their princes all they want, but to quote a great female warrior "I can't stand these macho types" (10 points if you get the reference, I'm also certain it'll be Rebochan if she shows up.)

As for guys I like... well, to prove it's not mutually exclusive, I like Miyu Irino, the 19-year-old typecast as the time-space traveller or dubbing roles whose english voice is Haley Joel Osment.

Now for the animated guys:

I resigned myself to a fate of not liking guys until Squenix made This guy. He's still hot, but I've gotten over angsty guys in the past six months, and I don't cater to guys with furry fetishes.

Then Here's my ex. He is so called that by me because I liked him in eighth grade and got over him in 10th, now back into him. Oh yeah, he's the princess's brother. It's much clearer in the manga than the anime, though, just based on who knows about the girls' origin.
Shame he's taken.
Still pisses me off.

Finally, with my ex, there came this guy. I believe I said something atune to "He's the only fair-haired man I'd let play James Bond (In reference to a scene in the anime where he's running out of smoke screens with cool gadgets) and only fair-skinned person I'd let play Fiyero (The guys who do just don't look foreign enough.)" He only shows interest in guys though... And he dies in the anime. He has a sexy, sexy voice, one that caused me to go pillow hugging and prepubescent fangirl screaming in my dorm.

Didn't dawn storm say in her sig on this post "The only good guys are gay, taken, or animated" I think I just proved all three.
Old 07 April 2007, 04:09 PM
ladyknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neffti View Post
I can remember being a little bit jealous of the girl who "must go to fetch the water" at the end of Disney's "Jungle Book." At the age of 6, I thought Mowgli made an extremely eligible boyfriend.

Non-animated comic characters I have raised an eyebrow at have included Lobo, and Booga from Tank Girl.

Recently I have had a thing for Howl from "Howl's Moving Castle."

Aaaanyway... Never mind Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, I reckon Snow White makes the prettiest ever Disney heroine. She's impossibly dainty. I love the scene where she sings "I'm Wishing For The One I Love" alongside her echo from the wishing well. Absolutely beautiful.
I have to agree with Howl...He's incredibly handsome in my opinion.

That's really about it as far as animated people go. Most of the Disney princes are handsome, but they all have fairly similar characteristics. Has there ever been a red-haired Disney prince/hero?

I like watching anime, and a lot of the guys depicted are good looking...once I figure out they're men. I've actually watched shows where The Fiance has had to tell me who is male and who is female because I cannot figure it out from body shape or voice. Makes me feel kind of stupid, but there it is...
Old 07 April 2007, 04:48 PM

General Shang from Mulan was pretty hot.

Also Justin from The Secret of NIMH.

As far as the X-Men go, I was attracted to Wolverine more on personality than looks. He was all mysterious and brooding, and that's what I was into when I was 12. Gambit seemed like a lot of fun, and he had that accent, so he was the winner there.
Old 09 April 2007, 12:13 PM

Not Cinderella and Slepping Beauty, but acording to IMDb Belle and Ariel had the same human model.

And i think Beast looked better as a monster too, but i spent most of the Little Mermaid wondering why Ariel want that to leave the sea for a lame Prince, so what do i know.
Old 09 April 2007, 03:26 PM

Icon102

*snip* *snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyknight View Post
That's really about it as far as animated people go. Most of the Disney princes are handsome, but they all have fairly similar characteristics. Has there ever been a red-haired Disney prince/hero?
The guy from Atlantis had red hair.

Also, I'm completely shocked about the Wilma/Betty parts of this, since I've always read guys mentioning how smokin' Betty was and how frumpy Wilma was. I'd just never seen that side of it before.

As for "liking" cartoon characters I think part of it is the exaggeration of features people find aesthetically pleasing. For instance bigger eyes are seen as more attractive in general, so they get enlarged in animation-- not that a real person would be attractive in those proportions were it real life.
Old 09 April 2007, 06:51 PM

I figured my wife would think I was odd when I told her that animated characters could be sexy. Shockingly she was OK with it.