snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 05 April 2007, 07:52 AM

Royalty Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty

Comment: ok so here is what I have:

Cinderella and Sleeping beauty look so much alike because the same real
life modelw as used for the both of them. Is this true?
Old 05 April 2007, 11:28 AM

Ponder

Do they really?

Pictorial evidence the first: Cinderella

Pictorial evidence the second: The Sleeping Beauty
Old 05 April 2007, 02:16 PM

In my opinion, Disney's Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty don't look much alike at all, and the characters were designed at two very different points in Disney's history so the animation styles in the two movies are completely different. Cinderella was drawn when Disney was still in their round and more realistic phase, while Sleeping Beauty was drawn during a much more angular and stylized looking period. I've no information on whether the characters were modeled after certain women or not, but just judging by what the characters look like, I'd say there isn't much resemblance, other than them both being pretty blond cartoon women.

ETA: There's also nothing listed on IMDB's trivia section about the same women being used for the two films. I know IMDB isn't particularly accurate, but if this were a rumor, it would probably be there.
Old 05 April 2007, 03:31 PM
Deepfrydegg

TV

IIRC, the two are similar, but don't really look alike. Could be same model - different art team or different model - same art team.

[hijack] Watching the Flintstones, Wilma and Betty HAD to be the same drawing. They altered the hair and the eyes slightly between the two, but it is the same drawing model.
I comment for those people with cartoon infatuations (watch Red Dwarf for a good comment to this matter). The same people who think Wilma is "hot," but Betty was only "okay." [/hijack].
Old 05 April 2007, 03:44 PM

Icon05

I fail to understand. How can a cartoon character be "hot?" Am I confused about what "hot" means? Thanks.
Old 05 April 2007, 03:49 PM
RainyDaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora Del Drago View Post
I fail to understand. How can a cartoon character be "hot?" Am I confused about what "hot" means? Thanks.
"I'm not bad. I'm only drawn that way."
Old 05 April 2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
What do you mean? Do you mean that it is impossible for a cartoon character to have features that some people might find attractive? or do you mean that it is impossible for anyone to look at a cartoon character sexually, regardless of how attractive the cartoon character might be?
Old 05 April 2007, 04:08 PM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
What do you mean? Do you mean that it is impossible for a cartoon character to have features that some people might find attractive? or do you mean that it is impossible for anyone to look at a cartoon character sexually, regardless of how attractive the cartoon character might be?
And if that's what you mean, I have a link to the anime section of Adult Fanfiction that proves you wrong.

Hell, all my first crushes were on animated characters. (Wolverine, anyone?)

Last edited by Aimee Evilpixie; 05 April 2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: It be early, I no spell.
Old 05 April 2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
And if that's what you mean, I have a link to the anime section of Adult Fanfiction that proves you wrong.

The first comic books that I read had Hindu mythological stories, and all the gods and goddesses were depicted quite handsomely. I admit that some of my early theological musings involved a boner for goddess or 2 :o
Old 05 April 2007, 05:48 PM
Griffin2020

Quote:
If that is the case, then please explain Hentai.
Old 05 April 2007, 09:38 PM
Deepfrydegg

Glasses

Quote:
I am not sure where your confusion is.

I was referring to a slight exaggeration of an idea, Childhood Infatuation.

An old joke was, "my first sexual experience was with "Fill-in the blank," only she wasn't there." As children, we typically fall-in-love with a member of the opposite sex who is often a celebrity of some sort.
From this thought pattern, it is possible to have been infatuated with a cartoon character as a child. Since cartoons don't change appearance over time (unlike real people who age), it is possible to still be attracted to a cartoon, because of your childhood infatuation.

Thus, Wilma Flintstone (or Jessica Rabbit) could be a fantasy figure in someone's mind.
Many other posters made references to sexually oriented cartoons, and how those characters are drawn specifically to elicit a sexual response from the viewer.

I certainly agree that the object of one's fantasies could be an animated firgure.
Not "my" thing, but nobody is hurting anyone with such a fantasy. I don't want to hear about it, but I am not worried, either
Old 05 April 2007, 10:56 PM

Why do people keep quoting me when they are refferring to SDD's post?
Old 05 April 2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are thinking "hot" as in physical temperature?
Old 05 April 2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post

I'm still totally in love with Spiral... (Hm... A Spiral/Wolverine match up -- oh, wait, they did that!)

Silas
Old 06 April 2007, 02:09 AM
Drama Queen Of Mars

Theme Icon

As I mentioned in this thread, all of my female friends and I agree that the hottest Disney prince is the Beast (in human form of course) followed in a close second by Eric from The Little Mermaid. And on a more personal note, I worry for anyone who doesn't think Wolverine is hot!

Drama ~All the good men are gay, taken, or animated.~ Queen
Old 06 April 2007, 02:29 AM

Who needs princes?
Old 06 April 2007, 02:34 AM

Glasses

I just got back to this thread and have been amazed. I asked a simple question, honestly stating my confusion. I'm sorry somebody worries for me because I don't think Wolverine is hot. Does this mean that I should worry about a person who does? No, I didn't mean hot as in temperature. I figured hot meant sexy. I honestly had no idea that a person could find a cartoon character to be hot/sexy, especially to the point of getting "worked up" over one, as some have indicated. Learn something new every day. Anyway, thanks for the info. You guys feel free to think cartoon characters are hot/sexy, and I'll feel free to find real people hot/sexy. I did not mean to insult anyone's cartoon fantasies, I just wondered if you folks were serious about thinking a cartoon character was hot/sexy. I see that you were. There's that different drummer, again! This is just something we'll have to file in the YMMV folder. Deal? Okay, deal.
Old 06 April 2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen Of Mars View Post
As I mentioned in this thread, all of my female friends and I agree that the hottest Disney prince is the Beast (in human form of course) followed in a close second by Eric from The Little Mermaid. And on a more personal note, I worry for anyone who doesn't think Wolverine is hot!

Drama ~All the good men are gay, taken, or animated.~ Queen
While Wolverine is "All right" (unless it's Hugh Jackman Wolvie), I prefer Gambit. Gambit rocks my boat.

And I thought that the Beast (Human) was fugly.

Give me Prince Eric any day. Or Aladdin, preferably.

Morrigan
Old 06 April 2007, 03:41 AM
Drama Queen Of Mars

Morrigan, I salute you...how could I have forgotten about Gambit?!!! And the only reason Aladdin didn't make our list was because he wasn't technically a prince till he married Jasmine and we we're talking specifically about princes...otherwise he woulda been up there, too!

SDD, I never said anything about you personally and I don't understand why you took it that way. The way my friends and I talk it's more of a jokingly "Dang it, why can't real men look that good?!" than an "OMG, I really wanna NFBSK that Prince Charming!" It's all in good (sometimes druken) fun and none of us (hopefully) ever really means to fall deeply in love with a cartoon character. It's simply a matter of seeing qualities one finds attractive in real people except it's just a sketch. No different than reading a book and, from the authors description and one's own ideas, deciding whether one character might be more attractive than another. Besides, IMO physical attractiveness is something that plays a rather large part (unfortunately) in how a person relates to a fictional character. One is more likely to like a "pretty/attractive" one than a character who is, to use Morrigan's term, fugly. I know I don't speak for everyone on the board but that's what I meant.

ETA: To add that none of this is meant to be snarky, I just come off that way sometimes.

Last edited by Drama Queen Of Mars; 06 April 2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06 April 2007, 04:27 AM

Glasses

Drama Queen, I didn't mean to be snarky, either. You said you worried for somebody who didn't think Wolverine was hot, and I was just letting you know I don't think he's hot, but you shouldn't worry for me, and I won't worry for you, either. At the time, I didn't even remember who said that. My statements were just based on general impressions I got while reading the thread. I posted this

"I fail to understand. How can a cartoon character be "hot?" Am I confused about what "hot" means? Thanks."

after the very first mention of a cartoon character's being hot, and it did kind of look like some people got a little defensive. Guess I did, too after reading all of it. I didn't even remember who said what when I posted my last reply here, but I went back and looked. You and your friends may just joke around about it, but Mad Jay said,

"I admit that some of my early theological musings involved a boner for goddess or 2."

I hate to point out specifics here, but I guess I need to show why I said a couple of things. I could have avoided some confusion had I done that the first time around. Sorry. My statement that I didn't know people actually got worked up over cartoon characters was because of the above quote.

Griffin2020 said something about Hentai, which I searched but decided not to link to any of the sites that popped up on the results page.:o

Apparently cartoon infatuation/love/lust is very widespread! I had no idea. As I said, learn something new every day. My reply wasn't pointed directly at you, either--it was a summation of thoughts I had while reading everyone's posts. I still don't get it, but I never said anything to put down anyone who does. As I said, this is something to file in the YMMV category. Nothing wrong with that. Happens all the time--the mileage varying, I mean. DOYC, I hope I've cleared things up and haven't just made it worse. This is a good example of wanderwoman's quote in my sig.