snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Old 29 March 2007, 04:39 PM

Military Students' Contact Info Given to Military Recruiters as Part of "No Child Left Behind"

In today's Dear Abby, a letter appeared stating the following:

Quote:
You should know that public high schools are now required to provide contact information for all students to military recruiters. This was a provision of the "No Child Left Behind" act.
The writer goes on to say that parents may opt out of having their children's records made available, but is still unhappy that this is happening.

Does anyone know if this is true? I tried to find the NCLB Act online but was unable to find the actual law. If it is true, I'm interested to know what other things were put into it under the radar.
Old 29 March 2007, 04:45 PM

I found the text here. It looks long, but I don't feel like wading through it right now.

Ah, the recruitment section: Sec. 9528
Quote:
SEC. 9528. ARMED FORCES RECRUITER ACCESS TO STUDENTS AND STUDENT RECRUITING INFORMATION.
  • (a) POLICY-
    • (1) ACCESS TO STUDENT RECRUITING INFORMATION- Notwithstanding section 444(a)(5)(B) of the General Education Provisions Act and except as provided in paragraph (2), each local educational agency receiving assistance under this Act shall provide, on a request made by military recruiters or an institution of higher education, access to secondary school students names, addresses, and telephone listings.
    • (2) CONSENT- A secondary school student or the parent of the student may request that the student's name, address, and telephone listing described in paragraph (1) not be released without prior written parental consent, and the local educational agency or private school shall notify parents of the option to make a request and shall comply with any request.
    • (3) SAME ACCESS TO STUDENTS- Each local educational agency receiving assistance under this Act shall provide military recruiters the same access to secondary school students as is provided generally to post secondary educational institutions or to prospective employers of those students.
  • (b) NOTIFICATION- The Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall, not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, notify principals, school administrators, and other educators about the requirements of this section.
  • (c) EXCEPTION- The requirements of this section do not apply to a private secondary school that maintains a religious objection to service in the Armed Forces if the objection is verifiable through the corporate or other organizational documents or materials of that school.
  • (d) SPECIAL RULE- A local educational agency prohibited by Connecticut State law (either explicitly by statute or through statutory interpretation by the State Supreme Court or State Attorney General) from providing military recruiters with information or access as required by this section shall have until May 31, 2002, to comply with that requirement.
Old 29 March 2007, 04:46 PM

SEC. 9528. ARMED FORCES RECRUITER ACCESS TO STUDENTS AND STUDENT RECRUITING INFORMATION.

Link
here

(a) POLICY-

(1) ACCESS TO STUDENT RECRUITING INFORMATION- Notwithstanding section 444(a)(5)(B) of the General Education Provisions Act and except as provided in paragraph (2), each local educational agency receiving assistance under this Act shall provide, on a request made by military recruiters or an institution of higher education, access to secondary school students names, addresses, and telephone listings.

(2) CONSENT- A secondary school student or the parent of the student may request that the student's name, address, and telephone listing described in paragraph (1) not be released without prior written parental consent, and the local educational agency or private school shall notify parents of the option to make a request and shall comply with any request.

(3) SAME ACCESS TO STUDENTS- Each local educational agency receiving assistance under this Act shall provide military recruiters the same access to secondary school students as is provided generally to post secondary educational institutions or to prospective employers of those students.

(b) NOTIFICATION- The Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall, not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, notify principals, school administrators, and other educators about the requirements of this section.

(c) EXCEPTION- The requirements of this section do not apply to a private secondary school that maintains a religious objection to service in the Armed Forces if the objection is verifiable through the corporate or other organizational documents or materials of that school.

(d) SPECIAL RULE- A local educational agency prohibited by Connecticut State law (either explicitly by statute or through statutory interpretation by the State Supreme Court or State Attorney General) from providing military recruiters with information or access as required by this section shall have until May 31, 2002, to comply with that requirement
Old 29 March 2007, 04:51 PM

Wow, I was going to provide a cite, but it's a good thing I looked before posting. I don't want all those spankings today!
Old 29 March 2007, 05:23 PM

Elbe: You posted a min. before I did, but added the text after I did.

May we spank one another?

Love,

Ryda
Old 29 March 2007, 05:24 PM

Actually, I remember this making a stir when NCLB first came out. Lots of pissed-off parents about that one.
Old 29 March 2007, 05:38 PM

I seem to recall a lot of people arguing that if the schools don't want recruiters to be there then they obviously don't want federal funds. But that may have just been about state colleges.

I don't know, Ryda, all that spanking might be a bad influence on the children.
Old 29 March 2007, 05:39 PM

I saw a neat bumper sticker the other day regarding this:

"No child left behind because they are all in Iraq" with a picture of Bush scowling at you.

I'm sorry to offend any Bush supporters--but this NCLB act is really, really stupid. And now this? ACK!!

~~EB
(who is still waiting on mine and Ryda's topless green jello fight--so I'll pass on the spankin's)
Old 29 March 2007, 06:14 PM

It was certainly true when I was in high school, but that was even before NCLB. I graduated high school in 1999. Our school sold the names and contact information of all graduating seniors to military recruiters, but naturally neglected to announce that they were doing this. You can imagine my surprise and irritation when I not only received brochures and flyers in the mail, but phone calls from recruiters. One was extremely aggressive and called me back immediately after I'd hung up on him, and resumed his spiel as though nothing happened. When I spoke to my classmates, they reported similar stories. We were all pissed that our school did this, but I don't think anyone actually investigated to see if it was legal.
Old 29 March 2007, 09:47 PM

I graduated right before NCLB went into effect. Our information wasn't sold to military recruiters - but the school did force us all to take the ASVAB, practically at gunpoint.

Not kidding.

They had all the juniors sent to classrooms to be tested, each with a guard at the door. We were told if we refused to take the test we would be suspended and were not allowed to leave the room. One teacher who was annoyed by the practice told us if we didn't want to be contacted by recruiters to put down false information in the identification portion of the test paper. The people giving us the test, of course, told us we had to tell the truth or we'd be prosecuted.

I wish I was making that up.

Anyway, I don't like schools handing out student information, period. To me, it's a waste of my time and the recruiter's time if I am not interested and yet I'm on their list thanks to my school putting me there. I wouldn't like it if any other company or organization started calling me at home pressuring me to sign a contract out of the blue because my school gave them my name.
Old 29 March 2007, 09:53 PM

Why would a school require a student to take the ASVAB? They don't require you to take the SATs or ACTs. I think this is something done in the South because i have not heard it being required on Long Island.
Old 29 March 2007, 09:58 PM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatYoung View Post
Why would a school require a student to take the ASVAB? They don't require you to take the SATs or ACTs. I think this is something done in the South because i have not heard it being required on Long Island.
I have no idea. My school was insanely stupid in a lot of ways though, and trust me, that's far from the most outrageous thing that happened there.

I honestly don't know what the school's benefit was from it. They had what I believe were recruiters standing guard at each testing room, so maybe it was some scheme they cooked up. I never had a problem with the Navy or AF guys, but we had a real piece of work for an Army recruiter. He practically stalked some of my classmates and was definitely the type that gives the whole profession a bad name.

Oddly enough, the same school denied the same class of students a chance to take the PSAT, the qualifying test for National Merit scholarships, because "they didn't need to bother, nobody takes SATs down here." Gotta love the priorities.
Old 29 March 2007, 10:00 PM

I haven't heard of a school requiring students to take the ASVAB, at least it wasn't the case for me about a hundred years ago. I had to go take it on a Saturday before I joined. But certainly a high schooler is capable of making up their mind as to whether or not they want to join the military after high school, right?

Wonko
Old 29 March 2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
I graduated right before NCLB went into effect. Our information wasn't sold to military recruiters - but the school did force us all to take the ASVAB, practically at gunpoint.

Not kidding.

They had all the juniors sent to classrooms to be tested, each with a guard at the door. We were told if we refused to take the test we would be suspended and were not allowed to leave the room. One teacher who was annoyed by the practice told us if we didn't want to be contacted by recruiters to put down false information in the identification portion of the test paper. The people giving us the test, of course, told us we had to tell the truth or we'd be prosecuted.

I wish I was making that up.

Anyway, I don't like schools handing out student information, period. To me, it's a waste of my time and the recruiter's time if I am not interested and yet I'm on their list thanks to my school putting me there. I wouldn't like it if any other company or organization started calling me at home pressuring me to sign a contract out of the blue because my school gave them my name.
Wow. Just. Wow. There are no words. How did your parents react to that??
Old 29 March 2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post

Huh. Now that I'm thinking, we had to take this, too. Perhaps it's a district or state policy?

We weren't at gunpoint, but we were told, in no uncertain terms, to comply, due to the fact that our school got enough sh*t already. Arts school, deep South, lotsa gays and bis and boys in dresses and peace and mixing of the races

As a result of that, I got hounded for years. And they didn't take a cheery "F**k off, you stupid nutsacks" for an answer.
Old 29 March 2007, 10:05 PM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by justusfour View Post
Wow. Just. Wow. There are no words. How did your parents react to that??
They were surprised, but again, the same school pulled a lot of crap like this and by that time I was just trying to graduate without having any of the things I'd caused a stir about to come back and bite me.

They did, however, continue to homeschool my sister rather than enroll her in the same screwed up school though.
Old 30 March 2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post
I haven't heard of a school requiring students to take the ASVAB, at least it wasn't the case for me about a hundred years ago. I had to go take it on a Saturday before I joined. But certainly a high schooler is capable of making up their mind as to whether or not they want to join the military after high school, right?

Wonko
I was forced to take the ASVAB during my junior year of high school which was 2001-2002. I went to high school about an hour from St. Louis, Missouri.
Old 30 March 2007, 12:29 PM

From the reading I've done since my post, it seems like there are many schools who do, in fact, make the ASVAB mandatory for juniors. I think it's a school or district-level policy decision and I'm pretty sure it has no basis in law. That said, I don't think districts should make the test mandatory, and students certainly ought to have the right not to take it if they're not planning to join the military. But, as to the topic at hand, I can't say I have a problem with military recruiters having the same access to student information that colleges do.

Wonko
Old 30 March 2007, 04:44 PM
Delta-V

This is sort of a moot point for the boys. They're required to provide their contact information to Selective Service when they turn 18 anyway.
Old 10 April 2007, 05:36 AM
Kutter

I know when I was in high school in the 80s recruiters had no problems getting hold of student's info.

Hell, my Marine recruiter once offered to call every girl in the area to get me a prom date after my girlfriend dumped me.

Oh, and military or not, the ASVAB is a damn handy test to have. It's probably the best vocational skills test there is and could lead you to a career you are suited for even in civilian. I believe it can function as an IQ test as well.