snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 21 December 2009, 01:11 PM

We just back from a cruise. While we still had to do the lifeboat drill, we were not required to wear our life jackets. It made for a much more orderly drill.

Crew members did take alchoholic drinks away from passengers, saying they could pick them up after the drill.

ETA: This was not a Disney cruise, though.
Old 30 December 2009, 04:13 AM

Disney still requires people to wear the jackets when they do the drill. Two crew members get on the boat first to help the passengers on.

I just got off a Disney cruise, and wish I'd taken a picture of the evacuation procedure chart that's posted on the doors of every room (on the inside of the room).
Old 07 January 2010, 02:07 PM
keepyourkiltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Is there such a thing as the "first lifeboat" these days anyway? Surely not if there are proper evacuation procedures in place. Surely there's no "women and children first" rule either - it would take longer to get all the women and children to the front than it would just to get people onto the lifeboats calmly in the order they arrived.

And I'd expect there to be a couple of crew members per lifeboat, and probably the first on it, as they're the ones who know what they're doing and are helping others to board. The only dubious bit is about the costumes...
Actually, I just returned home from a Carnival cruise a couple of days ago and while we were doing our drill, they DID mention a "women and children first" rule. At the time it surprised me because I found it to be dated.

Prior to that they said that you would be placed on your lifeboat by family, so if things get really bad maybe they void that rule and go with "women and children?" They never mentioned room number or anything. Your room number corresponded with a certain muster station, but that was the only time room number came into play.