snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 11 December 2009, 05:23 PM

Sometimes there isn't a plan B. We aren't discussing a leisurely evacuation to lifeboats but one which will not create panic and minimise if not eliminate loss of life.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:28 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
In most cases I suspect we aren't looking at a Robinson Crusoe experience, and the survivors will be picked up pretty quickly by Coastguards and taken to shore where Disney will have people in suits waiting if that is deemed necessary.
The lifeboats have GPS navigation and Emergency transponder beacons. Considering that there are only two ships and that they mostly sail only in the Caribean, they are well within range for a rescue to happen quickly. I'd imagine that time in the lifeboat would be measure in hours as opposed to days. Of couse, the lifeboats are most likely stocked with food and water for several days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Because then you'd have to figure out how to keep the TV and DVD player dry. On the up side, following the extension cord almost guarantees that you won't be lost at sea.
The lifeboats are enclosed. The DVD and TV will stay as dry as the GPS radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Boy, doesn't that sound elitist? "You in the luxury suites - you meet up on the Lido deck right next to the lifeboats. You in steerage - you meet up in the crew's dining quarters, and hopefully the ship will still be floating by the time the last of you are called to a lifeboat. Oh, and more you bribe me, the sooner your room number is called."
all of the muster stations are near the associated lifeboat stations. All of the ones that I've seen were about 10 steps or so from the door to the lifeboat deck or had an entrace to that deck in the room itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
It sounds like Disney seems to think an evacuation will only happen only the best of all possible circumstances. What if a boiler blows amidship, the ship is sinking fast, the crew is in disarray and it's impossible to pass certain parts of the ship?
I've been on a few other cruise lines and that seems to be standard. Also, i'm sure that the crew drill a bit more that I did as a passenger. However, I would think that their plan is simply to give passengers an idea of where to report to make the exercise easier. In reality, if my muster station were unreachable, I'd report to the nearest one. It makes more sense to have the passengers in central areas near the lifeboats than in their cabins and crowding the narrow passages.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Sometimes there isn't a plan B. We aren't discussing a leisurely evacuation to lifeboats but one which will not create panic and minimise if not eliminate loss of life.
Right. There is only so much that you can expect passengers to be able to do in a situation that is bound to induce stress and panic - elements that most do not respond well too.

Not to mention that the insurance companies are out to do the minimum required - they aren't going to waste time on every possible scenario (however remote) if they don;t have to.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:32 PM

Wolf

Quote:
I was certainly being facetious about the locations, but I do wonder about that "when your room number is called, you get to go into a boat", and how that could be abused if people actually listened.
My guess is that they call room by room so that a few people are moving about and on the deck at a time rather than a mob of hundreds pushing and shoving and knocking people overboard. It is about the ability to control the crowd than about privelege.

I'd rather have 10 people on the deck and ready to board the boats than be unable to get anyone into a boat because there are so many people on the deck I can't open it or get to it to unlock it so that they can get in.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:34 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Right. There is only so much that you can expect passengers to be able to do in a situation that is bound to induce stress and panic - elements that most do not respond well too.

Not to mention that the insurance companies are out to do the minimum required - they aren't going to waste time on every possible scenario (however remote) if they don;t have to.
not to mention that passengers generally don't want to even be bothered with the one drill that they are required to do. Make the plan simple and easy to remember and hopefully a few of them will actually remember it.

The mindset of the passengers is that are on vacation and can't wait to start. I've seen staff getting yelled at because the bars wouldn't open until after the drill.
Old 11 December 2009, 06:17 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
My guess is that they call room by room so that a few people are moving about and on the deck at a time rather than a mob of hundreds pushing and shoving and knocking people overboard. It is about the ability to control the crowd than about privelege.
It's also about making sure that everyone who's supposed to get into a lifeboat does so.
Old 11 December 2009, 06:20 PM

Ponder

Quote:
I was certainly being facetious about the locations, but I do wonder about that "when your room number is called, you get to go into a boat", and how that could be abused if people actually listened.
The lifeboat isn't going to be launched until everyone assigned to it is aboard, so it doesn't really matter whether they load the rich folks or the poor folks first.
Old 11 December 2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The lifeboat isn't going to be launched until everyone assigned to it is aboard, so it doesn't really matter whether they load the rich folks or the poor folks first.
Not to mention the fact that modern cruise ships carry more lifeboats than they need.

It has been my experience that if the lifeboat signal is given you are to report to your muster station no matter where you are on the ship at the time. I have never heard of calling by room number. This would take forever.

Everyone is required to take part in the drill. They do actually check staterooms to be sure no one is hiding.

I can't imagine a real emergency being much more confusing than the drill (people do not want to follow directions and you do have people trying to go down the stairs while everyone else is going up). The only time I did not have to participate was because of a problem with our luggage in security. The employee that was sent to find us was more freaked out than I was. She came to our muster station and just shouted our name until she found us. My wife and son still had to finish the drill.

Of course I have never been on a trans Atlantic cruise, so maybe then there would be a possibility of being in the lifeboats for a prolonged time.

Still I cannot imagine there is any truth to the OP. The costumes would just take up too much valuable space.
Old 12 December 2009, 02:46 AM

Wouldn't a kid being evacuated on a lifeboat be more traumatized by the fact that his ship is sinking rather than the fact that Mickey and Donald might be dead?
Old 12 December 2009, 02:59 AM

Disney

I could see Mickey getting into a lifeboat, but Donald could just swim to safety on his own.

Brad "or fly South, his choice" from Georgia
Old 12 December 2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
Wouldn't a kid being evacuated on a lifeboat be more traumatized by the fact that his ship is sinking rather than the fact that Mickey and Donald might be dead?
You beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I could see Mickey getting into a lifeboat, but Donald could just swim to safety on his own.

Brad "or fly South, his choice" from Georgia
Old 14 December 2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Oh, come on! What are you doing bringing logic into this whole thing?
Old 14 December 2009, 04:48 PM

Ponder

Quote:
I think that in most cases a cruise ship would be evacuated well before it was obvious to little kids that it was actually sinking.
Old 16 December 2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I think that in most cases a cruise ship would be evacuated well before it was obvious to little kids that it was actually sinking.
It would depend on how it was handled obviously, but I imagine they would pick up on the panic of the passengers. They would definitely know something was wrong.
Old 16 December 2009, 01:49 AM

Icon97

Given that there are more than enough lifeboats to accommodate everyone and (likely) plenty of time to load them all before the ship got anywhere close to sinking, I would expect a lot of commotion and confusion but probably not so much panic. In any case, little kids could easily be sold on the idea that they were being taken on a shore excursion or changing ships or the like.
Old 16 December 2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
What if a boiler blows amidship, the ship is sinking fast,
Or, god forbid, the galley slaves revolt?

There are no coal-fired boilers on the Disney cruise ships or any other modern marine vessel. The Disney ships use a set of five massive Sulzer diesel engines for electrical power and propulsion.
Old 16 December 2009, 02:57 AM

Blow Your Top

But still, the ship might get hulled below the water line by a Spanish cannonball, either sinking or being taken as a prize. You couldn't keep that from the kiddies.
Old 16 December 2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
But still, the ship might get hulled below the water line by a Spanish cannonball, either sinking or being taken as a prize. You couldn't keep that from the kiddies.
Well, you're going to have to, as that live show is rated arrrrrrrrrr.
Old 16 December 2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Given that there are more than enough lifeboats to accommodate everyone and (likely) plenty of time to load them all before the ship got anywhere close to sinking, I would expect a lot of commotion and confusion but probably not so much panic.
You have a much higher opinion of human nature than I do. You announce on a cruise ship that passengers are to proceed to lifeboat areas, I think you'll have a whole lot of panic.
Old 16 December 2009, 03:52 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Ummm, actually, that happens every cruise!

It's Disney. They have Pirates of the Caribean night and the whole crew dresses up as pirates and Cpt. Hook and Mr. Smee "take over" the boat.

Last cruise, I wore a pirate t-shirt and has a rubber ducky taped to my shoulder!