Icon86 All you can eat for Hershey's employees

Comment: Rumor has it that at the Hershey's candy factories, the rule is
that employees can eat all they want, as long as they don't open a sealed
container.

After about a week, they get so sick of it, they never eat candy (whatever
kind it is in question), thereby cutting employee pilferage to almost
zero.
Old 01 November 2009, 04:37 AM

I've heard a similar rule from people who claim to be employed at other companies' chocolate factories, the point being that most people get fed up with chocolate rather soon. What I heard in particular is that eating-related losses are minor compared to other sources, so there's no point in banning them; instead, the sooner people move over it, the better.
Old 01 November 2009, 02:09 PM

While I have no doubt that Hershey’s employees probably have access to candy at either a ridiculously low price or free (I don’t know that for sure though), the OP is sort of contradictory. If they do get it for free anyway, why would they be concerned about employee pilfering? Are they expecting that all free candy is to be consumed at the factories? I doubt that - the health standards are such that they couldn’t be allowed to each while its being produced.
Old 01 November 2009, 02:33 PM

My colleague used to do summer jobs when younger. These have included work in a seaside rock factory and packing chocolate bars. New starters were indeed told they could eat all they wanted (from an open carton, not the production line). It didn't even take a week before they were sick of it - just being surrounded by sugary stuff was enough.

At the big Jaffa cake factory (which I used to go past when heading for Banbury) big cartons of misshapes (which you tend to get when you start up a production line from cold or if one of the containers runs out of mixture) were often available at low prices until it turned out employees were selling them at car boot fairs. So the company started putting them misshapes in a skip, but staff still salvaged them since they were in sealed bags and safe to eat. I'm not sure how they progressed from there as I no longer need to visit the area and never heard the follow-up.
Old 01 November 2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
My colleague used to do summer jobs when younger. These have included work in a seaside rock factory and packing chocolate bars. New starters were indeed told they could eat all they wanted (from an open carton, not the production line). It didn't even take a week before they were sick of it - just being surrounded by sugary stuff was enough.
I can tell you that it wouldn’t take me long to get over the idea of free candy. Once you get used to being around it for awhile, the appeal just goes away. I actually toured a Hershey’s manufacturing plant and saw the process. It was (if I recall) pretty dull. Took the magic out of the whole thing.
Old 01 November 2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
My aunt worked for a summer packaging chocolates (I always pictured her as Lucy in the infamous chocolate factory skit on I Love Lucy) and that is what she told us as well. It may sound too good to be true by those of us who haven't worked in such an environment but it happens too often IMO to be a UL.
Old 01 November 2009, 02:59 PM

Chef

During college, I worked one winter in the Frederick & Nelson candy factory; I worked mainly on the Frango production line. Yes, we were allowed to eat whatever we wanted. I was smart and saved my munchie urges for when the really good stuff was being produced. At the time, my weakness was for chocolate-covered cherries, which, unfortunately, aren't as good when they're freshly-made -- the fondant needs to age a short while to melt into the liquid goodness. But that didn't stop me, when we were assigned to wrap them in gold foil, a portion of them made it into my mouth. I never got sick of eating candy, but I also didn't eat all that much.
Old 01 November 2009, 03:07 PM

A lot of places have similar rules. At McDonald's you got food for half price to eat on break; I didn't use that for over a year. After putting 50 Big Macs on people's trays the last thing you want is to eat one.

On the all night shift (11pm-7am) we got to eat whatever we wanted. What resulted there was people making and eating things that weren't strictly on the menu, or had been and disappeared. I worked with one fellow so much he knew just how I liked my burger and would make it for me during the slump when we'd sit down and rest for about 30 minutes to an hour. In return I'd do some of the breakfast prep he hated.

Man, that was an awful shift. If we had to stay late off the clock the manager would try to get us to take free breakfast home but by then the thought would make you queasy.
Old 01 November 2009, 03:25 PM

One of my cadets in the UK worked at the Cadbury's factory in Sheffield and he said the exact same thing as the OP: you can eat however much you want, but no one does because they get sick of it.
Old 01 November 2009, 04:09 PM

I don't think it would take long to get sick of Hershey's. Cadbury's on the other hand...

I think I'd be cool with that. I don't guzzle candy but I do eat at least a bar of chocolate or some equivalent of that every day, so I'd probably just do that.
Old 01 November 2009, 04:30 PM

Jaded

I think it's generally a truism that a person given unlimited access to X pretty quickly tires of X.
Old 01 November 2009, 04:39 PM

I know that Russell Stover's had insanely discounted chocolates for staff. My ex FIL worked at one of their factories, and I once gave him $30 to spend on chocolates for me to take home to my family. I would not be surprised if he got more than a pound for each dollar, and I wound up lugging an insane amount of chocolate home.

Slight hijack: That was before I married the ex, and I travelled Amtrack to visit him. On the return leg, I had a four hour layover in the KC terminal, and an undercover officer approached me about my beat up and obviously too-heavy bag, asking just what I was transporting, and hinting strongly that if I did not volunteer the information, he would suspect that I was hiding drugs. I was mortified when I unzipped my bags to show him box after box of chocolate!
Old 01 November 2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Witch View Post
Slight hijack: That was before I married the ex, and I travelled Amtrack to visit him. On the return leg, I had a four hour layover in the KC terminal, and an undercover officer approached me about my beat up and obviously too-heavy bag, asking just what I was transporting, and hinting strongly that if I did not volunteer the information, he would suspect that I was hiding drugs. I was mortified when I unzipped my bags to show him box after box of chocolate!
That reminds me of when I asked my sister to bring me multiple bags of Smartfood popcorn when she came to visit because they didn't sell it here. They were suspicious of the x-ray and ended up opening her bag at the airport to check what was in there.
Old 03 November 2009, 06:07 AM
DeeLite

I personally worked for a national pizza chain...ate pizza everyday..never ever got tired of it.