snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 27 April 2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
I don't think Disney theme parks even have an off-season.
Well, they have a "less-on" season. Twenty-five years ago, when I was in my prime Disneyland-going days, there actually was quite an off-season -- you could go on a weekday in mid-October, say, or around the beginning of March, and find the place quite pleasantly empty. Nowadays, it seems to be more a case of "crowded" vs. "overcrowded."

The peak crowds still come in the summer, plus the holiday periods. They have to do attraction refurbishment sometime, so they tend to do it in the fall and spring when they can. If you go then you're apt to find more rides closed for maintenance than if you go in July.

As to the OP: I've seen plenty of photos of places in Disneyland that have been in serious need of repainting -- Al Lutz at miceage.com used to show these regularly, though maintenance has gotten better in the last few years. There's no question that, on the whole, Disney does a pretty amazing job of keeping the parks up and looking clean and new, but even they aren't perfect.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:19 AM

Not really a proper cite, but this book suggests that at the very least, the high wear points on a specific set of 37 hitching posts on Main Street are painted nightly. Furthermore:

Quote:
the starting time is based on the temperature and humidity, so the paint will be dry by the time the park opens the net morning.
The author claims that the Disney factoids in his book (including this one I presume) are accurate as far as he knows, based on interviews and Disney seminars.

He also claims out that the gold paint on the carousel is actually 23-karat gold leaf paint.
Old 14 May 2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyroses View Post
Not really a proper cite, but this book suggests that at the very least, the high wear points on a specific set of 37 hitching posts on Main Street are painted nightly.
See, I find that hilarious, because I don't think there's even 37 hitching posts on Main Street!
Old 14 May 2009, 06:29 PM

I can understand touching up bare spots here and there, but painting every night, without stripping and sanding? What if it's raining?

Being a somewhat regular visitor to Disneyland, I have seen several places where I've commented "they need to paint that." But overall, D-land's cosmetic upkeep is much better than other theme parks around here.

Oh, and I have been backstage at D-land with my son's middle school band, and I didn't see any of those infamous "cheap soda machines." Just the usual rip-off machines.

Sounds like an urban legend to me. Snopes needs to investigate. Oh, wait...
Old 14 May 2009, 06:41 PM

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
you could go on a weekday in mid-October, say, or around the beginning of March, and find the place quite pleasantly empty.
Especially since the park was closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Old 14 May 2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Especially since the park was closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Well, that's been quite a while. In the mid-late 80's, when I was going regularly, they were on a 7-days-a-week schedule, though the weekday hours were something like 10 AM - 6 PM. (This usually included Fridays, since off-season Friday nights were when they held most of their private parties. Though, on one occasion, a friend and I were in the park on a Friday, and the park was scheduled to close at 6, but didn't.....we got curious and asked a cast member; she told us it was a "mixer" night. Apparently, if a private party wasn't too large, sometimes they would not bother to close down and evacuate the park, they'd just stop admitting people except those with the special tickets. We found this very cool, and hung around a few extra hours. That was the same night we found an unlocked door leading into one of the back areas of the Haunted Mansion -- apparently it was one of the emergency exits -- but we chickened out from exploring very far inside.)