snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 02 April 2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
A colleague of mine has a daughter called Neevie - we think it may have been supposed to be Niamh, but I guess it's more intuitive in terms of pronunciation at least.
The lrish name Niamh, is pronounced Neeve.
Old 02 April 2007, 11:42 AM

Icon215

Let me introduce you to Alimayu Mao-T Snipes, son of Wesley Snipes, according to a newspaper notice I saw yesterday.
Old 02 April 2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
The lrish name Niamh, is pronounced Neeve.
Yes, that's what I meant. The birth announcement a few years ago spelled her name "Neevie", as far as I remember.
Old 02 April 2007, 04:00 PM

A member of my favourite fok band is called Maceál. (Pronounced; Mah-kay-ahl)
I like it.
Old 02 April 2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Let me introduce you to Alimayu Mao-T Snipes, son of Wesley Snipes, according to a newspaper notice I saw yesterday.
Alimayu is an Ethopian name that means "in honor of God". African name for the child of an actor of African descent. I'm not sure what "Mao-T" or "Moa-T" (I've seen it spelled both ways in articles; Mao is Japanese for "true centre") means, but I bet the child's Korean mother knows.

Which part is weird?
Old 02 April 2007, 07:37 PM

My own grandmother did not know how to spel Michael. I have seen the document myself, and it's not supremely surprising because my grandmother was not ever a particularly scholarly woman. On his birth certificate, my father is a Micheal. He has gone by Michael or Mike all his life and my brother and nephew got the correct spelling of the name Michael on their birth certificates.

My father was born in 1940, so it just goes to show that odd spellings of names by the semi-literate are nothing new. Odd spellings by the literate are a more recent phenomenon, I think.
Old 02 April 2007, 07:53 PM

Icon401

We have a young cousin whose parents decided to name her Micaela. Nice name, and I know there are a variety of possible spellings. But the one I just wrote isn't the one they chose. They spelled it McKayla.

Then, I had a job a few years ago that involved processing paperwork for certain government programs, where I saw a number of interesting names and spellings. I think the one that stood out to me the most was the child whose first name was "Sir Righteous." Man, how do you live up to that?

But as for me, I have to wonder what it must be like to have people mess up the spelling of your name all the time...
Old 02 April 2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan With a 'Y' View Post
But as for me, I have to wonder what it must be like to have people mess up the spelling of your name all the time...
Annoying, frustrating, and sometimes flabbergasting. My first name is spelled the usual way, but people manage to get my surname wrong to a baffling degree even when I spell it out for them one letter at a time. "Capital m, small a, small c, small a, small i, small g. No capitals in the middle. It's not Scottish." and what do they write down? McCaig. MacCaig. McAig. McKay. McCraig. McQuaig. MaCaig (ooh, so close, but not even wrong in a correct way!). I've had people misspell it when it's written down correctly right in front of them.

If I had to go through this with my first name I would have changed it as soon as I was old enough.
Old 02 April 2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Annoying, frustrating, and sometimes flabbergasting. My first name is spelled the usual way, but people manage to get my surname wrong to a baffling degree even when I spell it out for them one letter at a time. "Capital m, small a, small c, small a, small i, small g. No capitals in the middle. It's not Scottish." and what do they write down? McCaig. MacCaig. McAig. McKay. McCraig. McQuaig. MaCaig (ooh, so close, but not even wrong in a correct way!). I've had people misspell it when it's written down correctly right in front of them.
I feel your pain - DW and I are hyphenates. That part I guess we have to take the blame for.
Quote:
If I had to go through this with my first name I would have changed it as soon as I was old enough.
Or you can vent by complaining about it in your username...
Old 03 April 2007, 04:13 AM

D'oh!

Quote:
Pretty damn annoying, actually.

I have a fairly common alternate spelling of a fairly common surname. When asked to give my last name, I always spell it after saying it. For example (not my real surname):

"Your name?"
"Smyth. S-M-Y-T-H."
"Okay." *types in "Smith".*
"Uh, no. S-M-Y-T-H."
"...Oh."

This happens all the time. I'm not spelling my name to show off my fabulous spelling abilities, people! I'm saying it so you'll enter my NFBSKing name right!

Speaking of misspellings, my dad misspelled my middle name completely, so I have to spell that out as well. And my real first name (Kate) gains all sorts of "Katies", "Katherines" and "Kaitlyns". Kate is my full first name. IT'S NOT SHORT FOR ANYTHING!

But no, I'm not bitter. Not at all.
Old 03 April 2007, 02:58 PM

The only time the misspelling of my first name bugs me is when it's a coworker. My name is in the directory, it's on the email, it's not that hard to pay attention. Especially when the worst offender prefers her first name to be spelled Cyndi.

I make sure it's spelled right on legal documents and the like, but otherwise, eh.
Old 04 April 2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzarina View Post
The only time the misspelling of my first name bugs me is when it's a coworker. My name is in the directory, it's on the email, it's not that hard to pay attention. Especially when the worst offender prefers her first name to be spelled Cyndi.

I make sure it's spelled right on legal documents and the like, but otherwise, eh.
I feel the same way about my first name. I have the standard spelling of one of the most common names for my birth year, but alternative spellings of the name have become fairly common. No problem, I can handle wrong spellings.

But I have one colleague who always spells my name wrong at the beginning of every e-mail she sends me. It is glaringly obvious, because Outlook has my name spelled correctly just above her spelling. That does bug me just a little.
Old 04 April 2007, 07:17 PM

Icon220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Dory View Post
Pretty damn annoying, actually.

I have a fairly common alternate spelling of a fairly common surname. When asked to give my last name, I always spell it after saying it. For example (not my real surname):

"Your name?"
"Smyth. S-M-Y-T-H."
"Okay." *types in "Smith".*
"Uh, no. S-M-Y-T-H."
"...Oh."

This happens all the time. I'm not spelling my name to show off my fabulous spelling abilities, people! I'm saying it so you'll enter my NFBSKing name right!

I sympathize! I have a last name that's very common. It's not by any means a hard name to spell or pronounce, and frankly, shouldn't be difficult at all.

No, the problem we have is that there's a major road in town that has a name that rhymes with our last name. So whenever we give our name, we have to say "Name, with an N," wait for them to write down the name of the road, repeat "No, it's Name, with an N, N-A-M-E, not like the street," and then wait for them to look at what they've written, think for a minute, and then say, "Oh, Name! With an N!"
Old 04 April 2007, 07:22 PM

My parents seem to have made up their own spelling for my first name. As a result, I have to spell it constantly, and even as I do so, I watch people writing down how they think it's spelled rather than the actual spelling. Also, my name has both a masculine and a feminine version, and the one my parents picked is closer to the masculine, so people frequently assume I'm a man. I like the name, but I do wish they'd been a bit less creative about it.

OTOH, my mother insists that the other name they were considering was "Tory." Which I don't believe for a second.
Old 04 April 2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
My first name is Brigid. Not Bridget, not Brigitte, not Brigit. Brigid. I don't mind too much when people misspell or mispronounce it the first few times, but it drives me up the wall when I am spelling it out for someone and, as I'm saying the letters, they write "B-R-I-D" and then go "Wait, what is it?" How about you listen as I spell it for you and then write down the letters that I say?

However I love my name and the way it's spelled.

Quote:
Alimayu is an Ethopian name that means "in honor of God". African name for the child of an actor of African descent. I'm not sure what "Mao-T" or "Moa-T" (I've seen it spelled both ways in articles; Mao is Japanese for "true centre") means, but I bet the child's Korean mother knows.
Well, if it is really supposed to be Mao or Moa and not Mau then I don't know, but there was an African rebel movement called the Mau Mau Uprising in Kenya in the 50s. Given the African origin of Alimayu, that is what my mind first jumped to.
Old 05 April 2007, 11:17 AM

Judge

Quote:
Alimayu is an Ethopian [sic] name that means "in honor of God". African name for the child of an actor of African descent. I'm not sure what "Mao-T" or "Moa-T" (I've seen it spelled both ways in articles; Mao is Japanese for "true centre") means, but I bet the child's Korean mother knows.

Which part is weird?
The part that is weird is that Mr Snipes is, as far as I know, not Ethiopian and the idea of a person of African descent, living in a primarily English language society, giving his child an "African" name is about as silly as you can get it. Africa is a big place, you know.

There is another thread going on about jurisdiction against parents giving children outrageous names and I must say I agree with the notion that it's not about stopping people from doing silly things. It's about stopping people from doing silly things unto other, defenceless, people.
Old 05 April 2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The part that is weird is that Mr Snipes is, as far as I know, not Ethiopian and the idea of a person of African descent, living in a primarily English language society, giving his child an "African" name is about as silly as you can get it. Africa is a big place, you know.
Yes, we all know that Africa is a big place, thank you.

Why shouldn't parents pick a name from a different cultural tradition than their own, if they like the name? It happens all the time with European names. I've known several woman named Yvonne, and none of them were of French descent. Europe is a big place, too, you know. And then there are all those Gentiles named Rachel and Rebecca and Joshua.

And for that matter, what do you know about Mr. Snipes' actual heritage and his knowledge of it? How do you know that wasn't his great-great-great-grandfather's name?

Quote:
There is another thread going on about jurisdiction against parents giving children outrageous names and I must say I agree with the notion that it's not about stopping people from doing silly things. It's about stopping people from doing silly things unto other, defenceless, people.
So where do we draw the line? Who decides if a name is too silly? You? Do we require proof of a particular ethnic or cultural origin before using a name of that tradition? Do we allow the government to determine how people should name their children, and how those names should be spelled? What about nicknames?
Old 05 April 2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Yes, how silly of him to not just pick a good Anglo-Saxon name, since that is clearly the tradition he is actually part of.

Honestly, how is picking an African name any sillier than many parents picking European names? Europe is a big place. Should we ban the names Genevieve and Rainier?
Old 05 April 2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThistleS View Post
Honestly, how is picking an African name any sillier than many parents picking European names? Europe is a big place. Should we ban the names Genevieve and Rainier?
I'm not big on banning any names but it might be nice if a few more parents took on board the notion that for most of their lives their children will not be living with them and will have to interact with people who are going to wonder "what the hell?" when they encounter names that seem well outside the norm. Go ahead and do it, by all means, just be prepared for your kid to change their name when they get old enough to do so.
Old 25 June 2007, 06:07 AM

Hello Kitty

My name is Robyn, yes, with a "Y". I never understood why people find this so hard to understand. I've gotten so used to blurting out "Robyn with a Y." it's goofy. Then they typre it in, think for a minute and ask, "With a "Y"?" Um... just said that.

When I was younger, I was in and out of the hospital a lot. My mother put down my full name on my paperwork, so a lot of people thought my name was RobynAnn Lastname. I actually considered changing my name to RobynAnn...