snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 02 March 2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
MÍCHEÁL
Usage: Irish
Irish form of MICHAEL
Now if they pronounced it as "Mehall", I would be impressed.
Old 02 March 2007, 12:24 PM

I dated a girl named Notasa which was pronouced Natahsa..

her dad was intoxicated when he filled out the forms...
Old 02 March 2007, 03:48 PM

I'd like to add that not all oddly spelled or looking names are mistakes. My full first name is not a mispelling of Regina, nor was I named after my father who wanted a boy named after himself. I was named after my Slovak immigrant great-grandmother. A google search reveals a few other folks with the name, both first and surname. I don't know if their father named them either!

Can you tell that I'm a bit irritated at the folks who have been asking me these questions for the last 40 years?

Morning
If I'd been named after my father I'd have been a "Charlene", "Charlotte", or "Caroline". Those are much easier to spell
Old 06 March 2007, 02:28 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpye View Post
But messing up the established spelling of a name really annoys me. If the parents can't spell the name, they should not just "give it their best shot" ("Jacklean" for Jacqueline, for example). That just saddles the poor kid with a name that makes him or her look stupid.
My name is not a misspelling, either. My father chose the spelling deliberately. He knew the other ways to spell my first name, but went with a different spelling. He didn't "give it his best shot", he knew what he was doing.

Nor do I think that the unique spelling of my first name makes me look stupid thankyouverymuch.
Old 07 March 2007, 04:39 AM

Just stopping by to add the requisite link to the Utah Baby Namer.

How about Antrim Zeezrom, for a boy? Daxson Ekewaka? Clemouth? El Myrrh? Timberland Miner? Kay C? And for girls: Ae Jae? Aquanetta? Chinchilla Zest? Paradise Sunrise? Miracles Precious One? Me'shell? JewlyAnn?
Old 01 April 2007, 03:23 AM
Kierra

Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Wren View Post
Just stopping by to add the requisite link to the Utah Baby Namer.

How about Antrim Zeezrom, for a boy? Daxson Ekewaka? Clemouth? El Myrrh? Timberland Miner? Kay C? And for girls: Ae Jae? Aquanetta? Chinchilla Zest? Paradise Sunrise? Miracles Precious One? Me'shell? JewlyAnn?
As an LDS person with an ordinary name and having never been to Utah this site gave me a laugh mainly because it's so true. We can always tell here when a new person shows up at church if they're a Utah transplant or not from the unusual name. Not every person from Utah has an unsual name but those that do always stand out. Some people here might use an odd name for a middle name though. When I was in a family ward and not a singles ward like now I frequently heard this when new babies were blessed. My father and brother share an odd Utah middle name that's been passed down in the family as a middle name for a long time but ordinary first names.
Old 01 April 2007, 04:22 AM

Well, a co-worker once told me that her daughter had a classmate whose name is much better mentioned in a NFBSK thread. While the name *could* have some really cool Gaelic pronunciation, apparently the child answered to the standard English pronunciation. (It's a two-syllable name with the first syllable being the "bad" word--a synonym for feces; the second syllable is "head". I just CANNOT believe anyone would stick their child with that name--no matter how appropriate it may be for the kid. )
Old 01 April 2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
Well, a co-worker once told me that her daughter had a classmate whose name is much better mentioned in a NFBSK thread. While the name *could* have some really cool Gaelic pronunciation, apparently the child answered to the standard English pronunciation. (It's a two-syllable name with the first syllable being the "bad" word--a synonym for feces; the second syllable is "head". I just CANNOT believe anyone would stick their child with that name--no matter how appropriate it may be for the kid. )
I'm not sure you should believe it. I can't believe it either, because I've heard it so many times and attributed to different languages (Gaelic and Arabic being the most popular). I don't know anyone who has encountered this legendary name personally. It's always been the classmate of a child of a friend or co-worker (or other FOAF connections) without exception (so far). No one seems to know what this alleged name means, either.
Old 01 April 2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzarina View Post
My name is not a misspelling, either. My father chose the spelling deliberately. He knew the other ways to spell my first name, but went with a different spelling. He didn't "give it his best shot", he knew what he was doing.

Nor do I think that the unique spelling of my first name makes me look stupid thankyouverymuch.
Perhaps not your first name, but Magpye's point is well taken. I've seen misspellings of first names that were pretty obviously misspellings. Maybe saying it makes someone look stupid is harsh, but it's also true. Not everyone will be judgemental about it but you can bet some people will. Saddling a child with a name that is spelled wrong or is so difficult to pronounce or spell that the child will be correcting people for the rest of his/her life is, well, pretty mean as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01 April 2007, 01:32 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzarina View Post

But there is a difference between spelling (for example) Jeane as Jeane, and spelling Alexandria as Aulex-Aundria (a spelling I have actually seen): one is easy to figure out; the other will have you scratching your head.
Old 01 April 2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Alexandria as Aulex-Aundria (a spelling I have actually seen)
I think that beats my two: Gennyphyr and Emeleigh.
Old 01 April 2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
My favourite it the girl I had in the library recently who told me her name was Alison - but when I spelled it that way she said "Oh no it's spelled the normal way, A-L-L-Y-S-U-H-N".

Normal way?? Um, ok
Old 01 April 2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
Not everyone will be judgemental about it but you can bet some people will. Saddling a child with a name that is spelled wrong or is so difficult to pronounce or spell that the child will be correcting people for the rest of his/her life is, well, pretty mean as far as I'm concerned.
Our eldest daughter has an old, and very uncommon gaelic name.
Don't ask, my wife really liked it. It was difficult to pronounce and spell, so I convinced DW to have it anglified, which I made up, and the pronunciation is slightly easier too. Right through her schooling years, her teachers insisted on spelling it the Irish way, even though whenever we signed her up, we always used the anglified name. It's a pretty name and she loves it. I am glad that we did not give her the original gaelic name as she would have been doing exactly as Christie says above for the rest of her life.

Oddly enough, it is becoming more commonplace these days, and people are becoming accustomed to spelling the gaelic correctly and the pronunciation.
I'm sure there's Irish scholars and teachers cursing us from a height, but I wouldn't reverse it for anyone.
Old 01 April 2007, 07:43 PM
Blue is all I need

D'oh!

Names are just getting so stupid now..Please tell me, who in thier right mind names a child APPLE!?!?!!? What is wrong with these people!?
Old 01 April 2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue is all I need View Post
Names are just getting so stupid now..Please tell me, who in thier right mind names a child APPLE!?!?!!? What is wrong with these people!?
What's next, Rose? Daisy? Lily? June? April?

Apple is one of those names for which I don't understand the criticism. It's a nice sounding word and it's really not a lot of weirder than naming a child after a flower or a month.
Old 01 April 2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Apple is one of those names for which I don't understand the criticism. It's a nice sounding word and it's really not a lot of weirder than naming a child after a flower or a month.
It's just a trend that's ahead of its time as of right now. We haven't caught up with it yet, as we have with flowers and months.

In reading this thread, I've come to a determination. I'm going to name my kid something normal, but spelled all in caps. That way, it will never be spelled correctly unless there are no lowercase letters in it. He'll have a fun life.

"Hi there, little boy, what's your name?"
"JOHN!!!!"
"Well, now, no need to yell..."
Old 01 April 2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:

I think it is a little weirder . Maybe not as weird as Peaches, Fifi Trixibelle, Moon Unit or Dweezil though. I wonder if any of these names have been used again by anyone else?
Old 01 April 2007, 08:24 PM
Rinoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
I think it is a little weirder . Maybe not as weird as Peaches, Fifi Trixibelle, Moon Unit or Dweezil though. I wonder if any of these names have been used again by anyone else?
And don't forget Moxie Crimefighter. I love Penn.

My boyfriend's name is Jaime - Hi May. Everyone always, without fail, reads it as Jamie, even when they're looking right at him and can see that he's male and hispanic. Drives him up the wall. To avoid the confusion, he always just uses my first name at Starbucks.

Rin"two venti teas for Alex"oa
Old 02 April 2007, 09:27 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
I post at www.bigbadbabynames.com ; they find some seriously bad names there.

Also, to be fair, legit ones that aren't recognized as legit at the time of posting. [hijack]Though I'm getting a little tired of telling people that yes, Montserrat is legit. [/hijack]
Old 02 April 2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue is all I need View Post
I really like the name Apple - I've never understood why it's supposed to be the epitome of bizarre celebrity names.

A colleague of mine has a daughter called Neevie - we think it may have been supposed to be Niamh, but I guess it's more intuitive in terms of pronunciation at least.

My mother knows somebody with a son called Artchi - that was a deliberate spelling so that his name is "art" plus "chi"...

(Another colleague has a daughter called Willow - again, I think that's a really nice name, even if it was made popular by Buffy.)