snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 25 February 2007, 08:28 AM

Icon220 Pocahontas McGinty? No, she Disney exist

It is seen as the ultimate example of the trend for parents to name their children after the latest movie character or celebrity.

But while we have had Kylies, Britneys and Chardonnays, it seems that the Scottish baby named Pocahontas is no more than a myth.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=288462007
Old 25 February 2007, 09:18 AM

Maybe no Pocohontas but the list of all forenames for Scotland for 2006 does indicate some popular culture buffs among the parents. The list included:
Ezri (1)
Lourdes (2)
Serenity (2)
Willow (8)
and
Precious (2)

and that was just the girls. Didn't have time to look at the boys. While maybe some of these were not inspired by mass culture I'll be the majority were.

FYI Girl's forenames in Scotland also included:
Magic (1)
Meadow (4)
Liberty (5)
Kd-Leigh (1) (how do you pronounce Kd?)
Salsable (1)
and
Serendipity (1)

Dropbear

Salsable? Was the child christened with tomato sauce?
Old 25 February 2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The list includedsnip)
Surely, that must be classified as child abuse!?!?!?
Old 25 February 2007, 08:14 PM
Blinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
Kd-Leigh (1) (how do you pronounce Kd?)
Probably like Katie. KD, Katie.

I like the name Precious. I have a 17 year old cat with that name. A child with that name, no. My kitty? Sure.
Old 26 February 2007, 07:06 AM

Frying Pan

When I was a substitute teacher, mostly doing elementary school work, I ran across some doozies... I wanted to go yell at the parents. Most of the worst that I saw involved creative respellings of names. I don't mind names with unusual spellings, or names that are just plain unusual, especially if there is a cultural connection in there somewhere. But messing up the established spelling of a name really annoys me. If the parents can't spell the name, they should not just "give it their best shot" ("Jacklean" for Jacqueline, for example). That just saddles the poor kid with a name that makes him or her look stupid.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkie View Post
I like the name Precious. I have a 17 year old cat with that name. A child with that name, no. My kitty? Sure.
Good name for a weightlifter, too: Precious McKenzie.

Welcome to the boards, Blinkie.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:13 AM

Whalephant

Quote:

Salsable (1)

Salsable? Was the child christened with tomato sauce?

Probably a misspelling of the Muslim/Arabic name Salsabeel.
Old 26 February 2007, 08:23 PM

How do you pronounce Kd...........like kayDee. As in KD Lang. Familiar mostly to Canadians.
Old 26 February 2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpye View Post
If the parents can't spell the name, they should not just "give it their best shot" ("Jacklean" for Jacqueline, for example). That just saddles the poor kid with a name that makes him or her look stupid.
Yep. There's a boy in my school, who was in my class last year, whose parents didn't know how to spell Michael, so he is leagally named Micheal.
Old 27 February 2007, 10:04 AM
charlie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnejanet View Post
Yep. There's a boy in my school, who was in my class last year, whose parents didn't know how to spell Michael, so he is leagally named Micheal.
maybe he'll grow up to be a lawear ?
Old 27 February 2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie23 View Post
maybe he'll grow up to be a lawear ?
Around here, he'd have to grow up to be a Loyer.
Old 28 February 2007, 03:31 AM
HoneyBunchingOats

Disney

The historical Pocahontas changed her name to Rebecca when she was baptized into the Anglican Church. Then she added Rolfe when she married. In the Disney world Pocahontas didn't marry John Rolfe until the straight to DVD release of "Pocahontas 2, Journey to a New World"
Old 28 February 2007, 10:43 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnejanet View Post
From behindthename.com

MÍCHEÁL
Usage: Irish
Irish form of MICHAEL

MÌCHEAL
Usage: Scottish
Scottish form of MICHAEL

So it might not have been a misspelling.
Old 28 February 2007, 05:24 PM
Danvers Carew

Quote:
Maybe no Pocohontas but the list of all forenames for Scotland for 2006 does indicate some popular culture buffs among the parents. The list included:
Ezri (1)
Lourdes (2)
Serenity (2)
Willow (8)
and
Precious (2)

and that was just the girls. [/I]
My sister's a teacher - she has a boy in one her classes called Precious. Apparently, he's anything but.
Old 28 February 2007, 07:20 PM

My sis is preggo and her five YO DD announced that if the baby is a girl her name will be "Princess LuLu". No word yet on what she would like to name a little brother. (BTW, Megan'sAunt vetoed that name.)
Old 01 March 2007, 11:27 PM
liebeslied

I went to college with a track star named Princess Imoukhuede, who could throw heavy objects very far. A royal talent, if ever there was one.
Old 02 March 2007, 01:48 AM
HoneyBunchingOats

Blow Your Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegansMom View Post
My sis is preggo and her five YO DD announced that if the baby is a girl her name will be "Princess LuLu". No word yet on what she would like to name a little brother. (BTW, Megan'sAunt vetoed that name.)
That name would be unfortunate if she would marry a prince or inherit a title from a distant relative. Just Imagine "Princess Princess Lulu of Liecthenstein".
Old 02 March 2007, 05:33 AM

I have a boy named Isabel in one of my classes this year. I also have a girl named Nydia (rhymes with Lydia). Her parents thought they were naming her Nadia. While attending college I had a professor named Coninne, pronounced KO-REEN because her mother misspelled it on her birth certificate.
My daughters, Arianna and Shannah (both rhyme with banana) are constantly called Ar-ee-ahna and Shauna.
Old 02 March 2007, 05:56 AM

A colleague of mine named her daughter her Deephah (not too sure of the spelling) as in 'D for' daughter.

Her daughter is very happy with it apparently -she is now an adult and has married and hasn't changed it.

Dropbear
Old 02 March 2007, 10:56 AM
Victoria J

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebeslied View Post
I went to college with a track star named Princess Imoukhuede, who could throw heavy objects very far. A royal talent, if ever there was one.
I went to school with a Sultana. Which is sort of the Indian version of calling the child Princess AND in the UK made her sound like a dried grape.

Also a girl called "Luxury".

My sister is called Sakkara (she is my half sister and we were named by our respective mothers). She went to nursery with a little girl called Sahara.

I think my sister's name is quite pretty but I don't like that it is a misspelling - she is named after the place in Egypt which is normally spelled Saqqara, though back in the mists of time it was instead transliterated with Ks. My father apparently said no child of his was having 2 qs in her name - but had no problem with the spelling mistake.

I also find it funny that her mother named her after a place with a pyramid but didn't think it thorough and realise she was naming her child after a city of the dead. My little sister is the Necropolis at Memphis ! (We were looking in some books about Egypt the other week and she keep looking at pictures of painted walls etc. and saying "is that a picture of me ?" )

(I also hate that they call her Sacky for short. It makes her sound like she is made of burlap).

Victoria - my mother was more conventional - J