snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 09 November 2009, 12:19 AM

United States

"I'm helping that good-for-nothing overspending democrat to get reelected."
Old 09 November 2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
As a member of the cleaning profession I can personally see why the janitor said that. We housekeeper (and janitors) are a crucial part in keeping an environment running smoothly. For me he sounds simply like a janitor who takes pride in his work, like I do.
Ech. I've seen that attitude directed at cleaning staff - "I'm the super important head of sales and procurement, and that those people are just mere cleaners."

Yeah, let's try this for a proposition. Let's eliminate all the cleaning staff for a week or two. Okay, maybe you could empty your own wastepaper basket and vacuum around your own desk and take all that down to the dumpster - but would you? Would you like it if you had to? I doubt it because your job occupies too much of the day, which is why we pay someone else to do it on your behalf. However if you could live with all that trash and dust piling up, we'll get rid of them.

Now are you going to go downstairs and clean the food packing machines? All 40 of them? Cos if not, we'll soon be getting complaints from the customers, and the hygiene people. Then since there are about 100 other firms in this same line of supply there won't be much potential as head of sales will there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
In other words, I don't think a janitor at NASA did anymore to help "put a man on the moon" then a janitor at a hospital being partially responsible for all the successful surgeries doctors perform there.

-MB
Well no I guess, not if the patient developing MRSA or other infections during recovery due to an uncleaned room is considered a part of successful surgery.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 09 November 2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09 November 2009, 07:35 AM

Frankly, I'm impressed the janitor didn't just look at the President, then look at the broom and say "What the hell does it look like I'm doing?"
Old 10 November 2009, 02:07 AM

Mouse

What I wouldn't give for the janitor in this glurge to be the Janitor from Scrubs. Imagine what he'd do to JFK if he stuck a penny in the door.
Old 10 November 2009, 03:47 AM

I'm reminded of an old Dilbert cartoon, the janitor is talking to Ratbert, and he's says something about how points are down that quarter or some such, "So I picked up the broom and swept like i've never swept before!, then i says to myself, why I am using a broom on carpets?"
Old 10 November 2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Perhaps, but the analogy was to a peanut vendor who claims he's helping the team win a championship, not to a peanut vendor who (trivially) claims he's helping the team's ownership turn a profit.
Without the thousands of people that directly interact with people with money, a professional sports team doesn't win championships.

A pro sport team would not exist without the money. No money = no team. It certainly means no Barry Bonds on the team. Bonds is too talented, if MLB didn't pay players $$$ he would be doing something else.

The peanut vendor is indeed contributing to the team and to the organization's success. Perhaps not a lot, but you can say that about many front office types in pro sports.

I think a peanut vendor does more for the Raiders than does Al Davis.
Old 10 November 2009, 06:41 AM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Without the thousands of people that directly interact with people with money, a professional sports team doesn't win championships.
Don't forget the butterfly in Brazil who flaps it wings and diverts the hurricane, thus allowing the money to be printed in the first place. They can't do it without her.
Old 10 November 2009, 07:06 AM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
"So I picked up the broom and swept like i've never swept before!, then i says to myself, why I am using a broom on carpets?"
Obviously because he's sweeping as if he's never swept before.
Old 10 November 2009, 07:47 AM

I don't like peanuts - I'm think I'm killing professional sport.
Old 10 November 2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
I don't like peanuts - I'm think I'm killing professional sport.
If you don't buy peanuts at a game, you're effectively stealing from pro sports players. You may as well just go and nick Wayne Rooney's TV or break into John Terry's shed and swipe his lawn mower to sell at a car boot sale.