snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Old 19 January 2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
And my dorm room is a territory of Austria. Cool!
And, in college, the United Kingdom's full name should've been "The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and Brad's Dorm Room."
Old 19 January 2007, 11:17 PM

Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
Aside from the former-Commander-in-Chief thing, Gerald Ford was a Navy veteran who spent two years on the USS Monterey during the second World War. He'd have received a military funeral (if his family wanted one) even if he'd never been President.

Four Kitties
Except there's a big difference from a "military funeral" and a state funeral. All he'd have gotten as a WWII veteran is maybe three uniformed military members (possibly not even all of the same service), a flag, and a sound recording of TAPS.
Old 19 January 2007, 11:29 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Except there's a big difference from a "military funeral" and a state funeral.
Of course there is; but Orshee specified "military funeral," not "state funeral."

Quote:
All he'd have gotten as a WWII veteran is maybe three uniformed military members (possibly not even all of the same service), a flag, and a sound recording of TAPS.
When I attended my uncle's funeral last fall (also a WWII vet), he had five uniformed military members (all Navy or Marines), a flag, and a real live bugler for Taps. And those rifles are darned loud when they fire that salute!

Also a bagpiper, but that was a family thing, not a Navy thing.

Four Kitties
Old 21 January 2007, 10:05 PM
Orshee

Quote:
Of course there is; but Orshee specified "military funeral," not "state funeral.
I did? Where?

To clarify: I never questioned why there was a military flag at Ford's funeral; of course there would be.

I started the thread because after watching the funeral I realized I wanted to know why some flags have the gold fringe. It reminded me; that's all. I'm questioning the UL, not the fact that Ford had a military flag at his funeral.

My question about this particular UL is, what is the point of believing it? Where's the proof that this supposed military power has been used, and what has the effect been? Has someone personally suffered because they fell under the jurisdiction of the "foreign embassy" represented by the gold-fringed flag? It's just such a stupid thing to believe, I don't see the benefit.

I'm trying to apply some logic to something that's not logical, I guess, but I wish I could understand a little better.
Old 21 January 2007, 10:21 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orshee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
Of course there is; but Orshee specified "military funeral," not "state funeral."
I did? Where?
My bad -- t'wasn't you, it was senbassador who said:
Quote:
Well, techniclly the President is also the Chief in Command. And I guess that applies to ex-Presidents in some weird way. So in a way, Ford's funeral is techniclly a military funeral. This would be the case with any other general or high ranking soilder. I guess that would explain the "military flag" thing.
Sorry.

Four Kitties
Old 21 January 2007, 11:30 PM

I have a couple of quick & fairly meaningless anecdotes about the flag issue. Several years back I was in an isolated station and a local militia guy kept coming in and trying to solicit my help to, I dunno, overthrow the US Government or something. I kept pointing out that as a duly-appointed representative of the government that probably wasn't going to happen, but he kept trying. He pointed out the flag in my office had a gold fringe which represented the state of martial law we were in. I assured him we weren't under martial law, or if we were someone had completely failed to send me the memo. As "proof" he showed me a copy of the Army Regulation (I looked it up later and it was there, although I don't recall the para right now) that said military courts would have, among other things, a US flag with gold fringe. Astoundingly that was Exhibit A in his mind that the courts were under martial law...the chain of logic being that if military courts have gold fringed flags and a local court room has a gold fringed flag...then the local court must be a military court, QED.

I tried to use some logic pointing out that military courts probably also have things like chairs and desks and the such, but then would it follow that any court that had tables and chairs would also be a military court. He actually agreed with me since it seemed to him to support his theory. I gave up at that time realizing he was jsut a sad, deluded man.

The shorter and less meaningful anecdote was told to me by a comrade whose mother was a sitting judge that was confronted by one of these guys who proclaimed he would not accept the decision of of a court with the Flag of Admiralty. The judge allegedly shrugged and said. "Okay...bailiff...take him to the brig for 72 hours..." Probably an UL also, but still a little funny.
Old 22 January 2007, 12:14 AM

This allows me to plug one of may favorite legal sites: Idiot Legal Arguments. It's a site dedicated to debunking and refuting the bizarre and baseless legal arguments of the so-called "patriot" movement. Those arguments, and variations on them are also found among the posse comitatus folks, and "sovereign citizen" movement.

Among other things the site has regarding the flag fringe is this cite:
Quote:
"McCann v. Greenway (WD Mo 1997) 952 F.Supp 647 ("Jurisdiction is a matter of law, statute, and constitution, not a child’s game wherein one’s power is magnified or diminished by the display of some magic talisman." and quoting the 34 Op. US Atty-Gen 483 [1925] that "In flag manufacture a fringe is not considered to be a part of the flag and it is without heraldic significance." and citing most other published court cases on this topic)."
erwins