snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Trivia

Old 01 September 2007, 05:41 PM

Blow Your Top Connecticut Home 20 Times Larger Than Average

The enormity of the house Arnold Chase is building on Avon Mountain isn't fully apparent from the outside, where only 17,000 square feet of it lies in plain view.

It's the two-level, 33,500-square-foot basement complex, complete with a 103-seat movie theater, ticket booth, concession stand, game room and music annex, that will make it New England's largest occupied single-family home.

At nearly 50,900 square feet, the Chase home will be slightly larger than billionaire Bill Gates' home in Washington, about 4,000 square feet smaller than the White House and 20 times larger than the average-size home in America.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US
Old 01 September 2007, 05:44 PM

Read This!

Quote:
The enormity of the house Arnold Chase is building on Avon Mountain isn't fully apparent from the outside, where only 17,000 square feet of it lies in plain view.
If we wrote that sentence, we'd get e-mail from dozens of pedants protesting that "enormity" doesn't mean the same thing as "enormousness."

(It does, though.)

- snopes
Old 01 September 2007, 06:03 PM

Blow Your Top

So the US average square footage is 2,500 or so? And as I google around this, I see that 2,500 sq ft is referred to as "a smaller size house." That seems extraordinary to me: my house is well under 2,000, and has four bedrooms, none of which are tiny.

Just as a comparison, new average house sizes in the UK are under 1000 sq ft.

ETA: Average household sizes: US = 2.6; UK = 2.4. Admittedly there are only two people in my four bedroom house, but one more certainly wouldn't be an accommodation problem.

Last edited by Chloe; 01 September 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03 September 2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
ETA: Average household sizes: US = 2.6; UK = 2.4. Admittedly there are only two people in my four bedroom house, but one more certainly wouldn't be an accommodation problem.
I actually thought there would be a bigger gap between the average house sizes in the US/UK. In most films even the people in poor areas seemed to live in what would be considered a reasonable sized detached house.

This is why we don't use Hollywood as a learning tool isn't it?
Old 03 September 2007, 11:34 AM

What I find puzzling is the ticket booth. Does Mr Chase propose to charge his friends admission? Or is he trying to circumvent zoning regulations by disguising his leisure complex as a private house?

Alternatively, he could be guilty of a lapse in taste. But that seems far fetched.
Old 04 September 2007, 02:43 PM
Griffin2020

No way that feeling you have to live in a 51000 sq ft house is in any way indicative of a lack of taste...{/sarcasm}

I do not begrudge him his home, he earned the ability to pay for it (I am assuming), but that kind of blatant consumerism is nothing more than building it and having it just to show that you can.