snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 27 June 2007, 03:58 PM

I'll also mention, I have a perfectly normal last name. Not outrageously COMMON, but as NORMAL as it gets. Well, when I moved down here, it turns out there is a (quite notorious and very large) clan of people who have the same last name, except with an 'e' tacked on the end, which is prounounced long. So it's pronounced mylastname-y. Boy you shoulda hear the woman

from Bellsouth when I called to get phone service the first time!! She asks my last name. I say it. She repeats it to me, with the -y pronunciation. "No", I say. I repeat it and spell it. She spells it back to me, with an e on the end. No, I say. There is no e on the end. I spell it again. I say "No E". "Okay" she says, goes through a long spiel about the rates and charges and whatnot, then says she's going to verify my information. She has the address right....she has everything else right...but she is STILL pronouncing my name AND spelling it with the e on the end! I correct her again. She spells it back to me correctly.

My phone line is hooked up a couple of days later, and soon enough, I recieve my first bill: addressed to my correctly spelled first name, and my last name.....with an e on the end.

Like someone else here said, though, it had it's good side: when someone called and pronounced my name the way it was spelled in the phone book, I knew it was no one *I* had given the name/number to.

Last edited by imjustasteph; 27 June 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Correcting misplaed quotes.
Old 27 June 2007, 04:05 PM
Rehcsif

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
And my girl? I went a little hippie. Harmony Reign. Which I thought was very unique and interesting. Until when she was three months old, a Disney channel original movie popped out ith a character called Harmony....I literally cried. Granted hormones were at least partially to blame....but come on! I didn't want a disney name! Disney STOLE the name *I* came up with!!!
Well, I knew two sisters who are now in their 40's or so -- their names? Melody and Harmony. I guess the parents loved music...

When I was first hired by my company, the took me to my cube, and there was my last-name spelled wrong. I politely told them that my name had "the other spelling". So they took it down. Which wasn't very convenient, because when people would stop by to see "the new guy" they had no idea who I was until the new one came in a few weeks later. And about that time, the company phone list came out, and sure enough, my name was spelled wrong. I politely emailed the person again, that next time the directory be put out, could my name please be spelled correctly? Shortly after that, the company's org chart came out, and once again, the wrong spelling...

The same person was in charge of all of these things. You'd think that after noting they messed it up once, they'd double-check the other things... Actually you'd think they'd get it right the first time -- after all, it was correct on my official paperwork like paychecks, etc...

-Tim
Old 28 June 2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehcsif View Post
Well, I knew two sisters who are now in their 40's or so -- their names? Melody and Harmony. I guess the parents loved music...

-Tim
*sniffle* And I thought *I* came up with that......
Old 28 June 2007, 03:13 PM
Rehcsif

Quote:
We're currently expecting and have poured through numerous baby name books. One of them had a section specifically on this phenomenon, where one person "invents" a "new" name, thinking it's totally unique, then finds out another baby was born across town a week earlier and "stole" their name. Basically it said that since we all share a similar cultural and social background, it's not unusal that more than one person will come up with the same "unique" name.

Similarly, it's the same reason that every year, a new "unusual" name pops up and becomes tremendously popular. Someone here's a name, thinks "wow I've never heard that before, that's unique and cool!" and uses it, and suddenly we end up with a huge crop of Brysons, Skylars, and Jaydens. We're all uniquely the same, I guess

Actually I love the story of "Madison". It started as a punchline in the movie Splash, and now it's one of the top girls names.

-Tim
Old 29 June 2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
We're currently expecting and have poured through numerous baby name books. One of them had a section specifically on this phenomenon, where one person "invents" a "new" name, thinking it's totally unique, then finds out another baby was born across town a week earlier and "stole" their name. Basically it said that since we all share a similar cultural and social background, it's not unusal that more than one person will come up with the same "unique" name.
-Tim
Funny thing, I got the idea for 'Harmony' while watching a Harry Potter movie. I heard Hermione, thought, hmm, too strange, how about...Hey! Harmony!

Wonder if any others did the same....
Old 29 June 2007, 01:38 AM
Rehcsif

Quote:
Funny thing, I got the idea for 'Harmony' while watching a Harry Potter movie. I heard Hermione, thought, hmm, too strange, how about...Hey! Harmony!

Wonder if any others did the same....
The actual example the book gave was "Keyton". They pointed out that it was similar sounding to other 'trendy' names like Peyton, and lots of us watched Alex P. Keyton in the 80's, and bingo, a name "invented" by many people at the same time, in isolation...

-Tim
Old 29 June 2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Hate to bring you down even further but Susan St James named her son Harmony way back in the 70s. She also named her daughter Sunshine.
Old 29 June 2007, 10:41 PM
Cherished Emerald

Quote:
Just like in one of my favourite childhood books
Old 30 June 2007, 03:30 AM
Trixie Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
She also named her daughter Sunshine.
I went to high school with a girl named Sunshine.

But my name is Erica. It's spelled the average everyday way. Erica. No, it's not spelled with a K. No, it's not C-K. E-R-I-C-A.

My daughter has a really unusual name, though. I've mentioned it a few times on this board- Clotilde. I'm having another baby in September. We don't know what our next kid will be named, though his middle name will be Danger.
Old 30 June 2007, 03:58 AM

My mother hates the "unusual spellings of normal names" thing. Her name is Karyl. Not Carol, not Karla, not Karly, and definitely not Karl. Telemarketers and companies that send junk mail always get it wrong. My only problem is with my last name. It's a somewhat unusual Irish name, so I sometimes get completely off misspellings.

What about names that sound almost identical to common names but are actually not the same? When I was in elementary school, I thought my friend's little sister was named "Elaine." When I got a birthday card from them, I found out it was actually "Alayne". Another girl I thought was "Alayna" turned out to be "Allenaugh". I don't know if these are real variations or just deliberate misspellings. (BTW, if it's NOT a different name, "Allenaugh" gets my vote for worst respelling I've ever heard.)

I like unusual names. If I have a daughter, I might well choose something like Cassia Rhiannon (yes, I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan). Yes, I'm aware that Cassia is a tree, but I don't think it's any worse than say, Hazel or Laurel.
Old 30 June 2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
My mother hates the "unusual spellings of normal names" thing. Her name is Karyl. Not Carol, not Karla, not Karly, and definitely not Karl. Telemarketers and companies that send junk mail always get it wrong. My only problem is with my last name. It's a somewhat unusual Irish name, so I sometimes get completely off misspellings.

What about names that sound almost identical to common names but are actually not the same? When I was in elementary school, I thought my friend's little sister was named "Elaine." When I got a birthday card from them, I found out it was actually "Alayne". Another girl I thought was "Alayna" turned out to be "Allenaugh". I don't know if these are real variations or just deliberate misspellings. (BTW, if it's NOT a different name, "Allenaugh" gets my vote for worst respelling I've ever heard.)

I like unusual names. If I have a daughter, I might well choose something like Cassia Rhiannon (yes, I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan). Yes, I'm aware that Cassia is a tree, but I don't think it's any worse than say, Hazel or Laurel.
ETA: "Names I like" is not necessarily the same thing as "Names I'd actually consider naming my future children."